What Are Your Latest Purchases... - Page 20
Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #381 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

first off congrats on the car DK. As for the insurance yes it's a lot, but i think a lot of the people here are forgetting how much robbery takes place at the hands of insurance companies especially when it comes to young and inexperiences drivers such as yourself.

My wife and i have clean records are in our mid 30s and still it feels like we get killed with insurance rates. (well up untill last year where i had enough and shopped around to get a REALLY REALLY good rate).

DK, have you taken a young drivers or CAA driving course or something? Those usually have a good impact on lowering your rates. Also i would really call around different insurance companies and get quotes. Maybe you have done this already.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #382 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaytday View Post
$250 a month makes no sense for insurance. In 4 months you'll have already paid them the full value of the car.
no kidding, but it's the way our stupid system works. I have a '99 Jetta that often breaks down. It's not worth much at all and honestly I couldn't even sell it in good faith.... yet i used to pay something like $160 a month for it.

Insurance is often less about the car itself and more about the driver, location, distances covered, etc.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #383 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Senior Member
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 9,757
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post

My wife and i have clean records are in our mid 30s and still it feels like we get killed with insurance rates. (well up untill last year where i had enough and shopped around to get a REALLY REALLY good rate).
even at 54 my insurance keeps going up...it's a scam
i've had a perfect driving record since i was 16...that's 38 years of spotless driving

fancy...do me a favor and pm your insurance company to me...i'm always trying to get a better deal
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #384 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,268
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Mine was $75 off when I got it. It's priced at $699 now. It was $565 and I got it for $490. That was two years ago. Guess they went up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
Holy shit, bidets are $700?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
There are different models at different price levels. I got the 900 at 429.00. I think what they've done is dropped the price on what was the top level model, and then cranked up a premium price for a model with a dryer and odor control, which ultimately subsidizes the cost break, and makes it easier to sell more without a more drastic price decrease. When i first looked into these things more than ten years ago, they were all over a grand.
Yeah I just found out how expensive it was as well. The guy installed a new one for us in our old house, and it is so awesome. Now its gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post


People actually do this? Hahaha
LOL trust me, its super clean and it is awesome. Once you start using one, it sucks when you can't
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #385 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,268
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Bought my first car! 2005 Pontiac Bonneville

$1000 for the car itself, and another $1000 to get it safetied. $250 a month for insurance.

Hello poverty for the next while.
congrats DK!

but how did you manage to get primary for so cheap? Im 21, turning 22 this year and insurance is like 350 bucks for me, which is why I can't really buy myself a car. If I can actually get it for 250ish, it might be worth getting a car and just commuting to university
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #386 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
even at 54 my insurance keeps going up...it's a scam
i've had a perfect driving record since i was 16...that's 38 years of spotless driving

fancy...do me a favor and pm your insurance company to me...i'm always trying to get a better deal
I'm with a company called the personal. Although honestly i don't think it will be all that usefull for you because i am getting a preferred rate through my professional assoc. And they only offer this rate to people in my profession (which kind of makes sense as 90% of my colleagues are older women LOL).

When my dad heard about my rate he gave them a call and the quote was not at all close to mine.

I basically cut my insurance costs in half.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #387 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,546
Representing:
Default

the cost of insurance has almost nothing to do with the value of your car, and almost everything to do with the cost of rehabilitating someone from a motor vehicle injury.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #388 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,782
Representing:
Default

As someone that is in direct contact with insurance companies and investigates insurance fraud i have to say, everyone's premiums sky rocket mainly because of the bullshit claims. You wouldn't believe the shit i see or the amount of money these insurance companies pay for surveillance and the insane amount of money they pay out to claimants to settle. It's astounding.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #389 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,613
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
even at 54 my insurance keeps going up...it's a scam
i've had a perfect driving record since i was 16...that's 38 years of spotless driving

fancy...do me a favor and pm your insurance company to me...i'm always trying to get a better deal
what the hell? my premiums have gone down the past two years and i'm 24. the real question is...

have you switched to grey power?
thought is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #390 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,613
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box92 View Post
congrats DK!

but how did you manage to get primary for so cheap? Im 21, turning 22 this year and insurance is like 350 bucks for me, which is why I can't really buy myself a car. If I can actually get it for 250ish, it might be worth getting a car and just commuting to university
yea was gonna say, $250 for a high schooler driving a hoopdee as the primary is DIRT cheap.
thought is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #391 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
what the hell? my premiums have gone down the past two years and i'm 24. the real question is...

have you switched to grey power?
mine went down and i have 2 tickets, dont ask me how because I've never brought it up to them lol
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #392 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
As someone that is in direct contact with insurance companies and investigates insurance fraud i have to say, everyone's premiums sky rocket mainly because of the bullshit claims. You wouldn't believe the shit i see or the amount of money these insurance companies pay for surveillance and the insane amount of money they pay out to claimants to settle. It's astounding.
I was in an accident but I haven't yet seen surveillance on me. How do they go about doing it? I usually have a keen eye for observing unusual people on my street.
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #393 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,782
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
I was in an accident but I haven't yet seen surveillance on me. How do they go about doing it? I usually have a keen eye for observing unusual people on my street.
How do we go about doing surveillance or how does the insurance company go about selecting who to put under surveillance? Did you put a claim through stating you can't work, have physical limitations and asking for compensation? If not, then you won't get put under surveillance.

Last edited by jeffb; 03-25-2014 at 12:05 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #394 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Default

yeah how do you guys do the surveillance

I had income replacement up until recently because I feel better, but I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure the guys doing it are really good but damn I would hope to think I would notice something. Especially on my street where I know everyones car etc.

edit -- & yeah also how do they go about selecting for surveillance? i was in a pretty bad wreck, not a little fender bender. Does that make a difference? Would they assume since I was in a bad wreck that i'm not faking
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #395 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,782
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
yeah how do you guys do the surveillance

I had income replacement up until recently because I feel better, but I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure the guys doing it are really good but damn I would hope to think I would notice something. Especially on my street where I know everyones car etc.
If they're any good you likely wouldn't notice. Usually we don't sit very close and prefer to sit outside the neighborhood watching the main exit. How many exits are there off your street?


As for how the insurance company decides, usually it's people claiming far too many injuries for the type of accident, people asking for insane money and the big one is people that have been on multiple claims in the past....essentially people that do it for a living.

Last edited by jeffb; 03-25-2014 at 12:12 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #396 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
If they're any good you likely wouldn't notice. Usually we don't sit very close and prefer to sit outside the neighborhood watching the main exit. How many exits are there off your street?
interesting, 2 exits...so you guys just follow until the person reaches their destination to see what they're doing?
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #397 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,782
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
interesting, 2 exits...so you guys just follow until the person reaches their destination to see what they're doing?
Nope, we follow them all day for days until the allocated budget is exhausted. So if you leave at 10am, go to the mall, gas station, lunch, friends house etc......we'd get all that, even inside the mall, restaurant etc..
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #398 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Nope, we follow them all day for days until the allocated budget is exhausted.
lol oh wow, they must have wasted some money on me if they did indeed put me under surveillance.

to the other question though, how do they select who to watch? if a person is in a bad accident (totaled car) are they less inclined to watch because they're likely to be legitimately hurt...or is it random, or everyone

edit -- nvm you answered above lol
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #399 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,782
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
lol oh wow, they must have wasted some money on me if they did indeed put me under surveillance.

to the other question though, how do they select who to watch? if a person is in a bad accident (totaled car) are they less inclined to watch because they're likely to be legitimately hurt...or is it random, or everyone

edit -- nvm you answered above lol
I doubt you were followed. How long were you on claim for income replacement?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #400 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,876
Representing:
Default

From August of last year until mid Feb of this year.
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24