What Are Your Latest Purchases... - Page 16
Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #301 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,099
Representing:
Default

why else buy the $750 jeans though? I dont get it. is it "fashion" lmao
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #302 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
why else buy the $750 jeans though? I dont get it. is it "fashion" lmao
lol yea I would think so. I mean I don't condone buying pants worth that much but if you like them and have money to blow then go for it. Although I will say one thing, desire is horrible and never let it overcome you.
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #303 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
lol yea I would think so. I mean I don't condone buying pants worth that much but if you like them and have money to blow then go for it. Although I will say one thing, desire is horrible and never let it overcome you.
Gurk, I disagree with you completely. If you have money then go for it?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a guy who likes to donate to non-profits quite a bit and after working and volunteering in a number of non-profits I can tell you right now that it would be far more beneficial to give than to spend idiotically.

But I can't really blame youth today, because you've been inundated since you were like 5 that materialism brings happiness and will make you feel good etc. Real experiences aren't what matters any longer because there's no monetary value to it.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #304 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

those jeans are awesome. Looks like something Michael Jackson would have worn when he was in his crazy futuristic military phase.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #305 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,363
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
those jeans are awesome. Looks like something Michael Jackson would have worn when he was in his crazy futuristic military phase.
Just showed them to Sue...she asked me if they were girl's Cosplay pants
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #306 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
When I say if you have money to blow I don't mean if you have a grand then go spend it, I would never even condone that cause that would be idiotic but if you have money in the bank and can absolutely afford buying $1000 jeans then go for it, it's not my money. Also I don't care what anyone spends there money on. WHY?! Because it's not my money. I don't like delving into others money situations but I would never spend that much especially on something like jeans.
So, apathy is the solution? Why care about anything then as long as it's affecting me?

It's akin to saying, "well, I know racism exists and I mean, I don't really condone racism but if it's not happening around me, then it doesn't affect me so go ahead and be a racist douchebag. Again as long as it's not affecting me in anyway right now. But of course, I hate racism." Guess what? You're a part of the chain then. You're just as culpable.

Sorry if I feel really, really strongly about this, but I do.

Apathy is just so much more dangerous.

Quote:
Also, fun fact but I hate materialism. I don't watch any TV I hate watching commercials and I can't remember the last time i ever wanted anything for myself other then some clothes before school started. I believe that desire and materialism hurt our society a lot. Kids wanting new crap all the time, trying to impress, buying the newest things on the market. But sadly it's not just kids who this, hell I bet a lot more adults buy into materialism. But thanks for generalizing all of the youth
You hate materialism yet you'll condone gross spending on a ridiculous clothing item? Right, because it's not my money. Out of sight, out of mind right? That's some strong hate you have there.

You also do realize that I work with youth on a daily basis correct? You also do realize that I've volunteered with youth on some basis for the past seven years right? So while I may be generalizing and I could break it down by demographics to you if that would make you happy, I'll stand ably by and say that today, children/youth between the ages of 13 - 20 are far more materialistic than those same children five years ago, just from personal experience. When I coach soccer, five years ago my kids would just show up wearing whatever cleats and our team soccer kits. Last year, the kids in that same age group (11-13) all needed to have the latest soccer boot (Messi's) and the best equipment (the World Cup Ball, authentic retailing at $140.00). A few kids did not have it and legitimately became outcasts on the team socially because they were considered poor. This is just one example of many I can give you.

Yes, there are many, many materialistic adults. Heck, drive down Bay St. and they'll just jump out at you everywhere.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #307 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,800
Representing:
Default

Looks like we're just all on different stages in our lives.
I know y'all been through a lot but this generation people have access to jobs and can make money to spend on luxury items.

As for calling me dumb; Jesus saves, I spend.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #308 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,249
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

The only reason to wear $750 jeans is to tell people you wear $750 jeans.

How about those $3000 purses? About the same mentality.
Raptorman is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #309 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,700
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
I know y'all been through a lot but this generation people have access to jobs and can make money to spend on luxury items.

So did we. And there have always been people spending big money on dumb shit. And it's always been wasteful.

Save your money or spend it on things that last. One day you will understand just how valuable this advice is.

And one more thing - anyone who fucks you because she likes your pants ain't going to be fucking you right. She needs to want your dick, your heart and your mind or she's (or he's) not going to put enough into it. That is the fucking truth.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #310 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
So, apathy is the solution? Why care about anything then as long as it's affecting me?

It's akin to saying, "well, I know racism exists and I mean, I don't really condone racism but if it's not happening around me, then it doesn't affect me so go ahead and be a racist douchebag. Again as long as it's not affecting me in anyway right now. But of course, I hate racism." Guess what? You're a part of the chain then. You're just as culpable.

Sorry if I feel really, really strongly about this, but I do.

Apathy is just so much more dangerous.
I just feel like you are distracting your mind just to have issues with others. (I don't mean this as YOU specifically I just mean it in general). Instead of focusing on others mistakes why not try and focus on your own mistakes and better yourself as a person. (Maybe you have already done this, and once again I don't mean just specifically you, I mean society in general) I believe I don't have a right to other peoples business nor do I care about what others do. Why would I distract my mind? The mind and thoughts that come from it aren't good for you.

I also don't agree with the bolded part. If someone is being racist and I see it of course I will take exception to that and say something about it. But how am I going to stop all racist thoughts sitting here at home. I hate racism, people don't see that we are all the same, but I can't sit here and worry about all the racism going on in the world because there is a lot of racism going on in the world, how I am going to stop racist thoughts from spreading in peoples minds. I don't get how that makes me guilty of racism as well. Just because I don't spend my livelihood going out to the world and going against racism. I honestly could do that but realistically I am not about to drop everything and tell the world about how bad racism is, even though it is something I wouldn't mind doing. If someone wants to lead a shit and ignorant life, let them, I just can't worry my mind about it. Just like I don't let my mind worry about others decisions on how they want to spend their money, even though it isn't the smartest way.

I don't agree with this being apathy. Apathy would require my lack of concern or interest. I do have a concern for the society and how materialism is ruining it but I just choose not to focus my mind and my thoughts on it. I would love to go out and try and get everyone to reach enlightenment but at this point in my life I just can't, with school and all. After I finish school and pay of my loans, my goal is to travel to a remote place and reach enlightenment through meditation, to get away from the materialistic world we live in, after that I will spread the message. As of right now I realize I could do this to a smaller scale, and I am glad you are trying to get Kirby to not buy those pants and instead try and spend that money wisely but right now I am still learning myself, trying to better myself on the road to enlightenment. I am still trying to get rid of all desires and for that reason alone I don't like putting more thoughts into my mind, even though responding to your post and writing what is probably been my biggest post ever totally contradicts that haha.

Quote:
You hate materialism yet you'll condone gross spending on a ridiculous clothing item? Right, because it's not my money. Out of sight, out of mind right? That's some strong hate you have there.
haha I do hate it but I am not about to go out into the world and somehow stop everyone from buying shit and trying to stop materialism all together, I don't believe that is possible now. I do agree with what you are trying to do. Even just trying to stop Kirby from buying $1000 pants will make a difference if not just slightly, but from the looks of it, if he has the money he is going to buy those pants. I am not about to sit here and try to convince him otherwise. I will tell him that isn't the smartest decision that he is making but hey it's YOUR money and if you want to spend it carelessly then go for it. Realistically it doesn't affect me or my life, people will only learn if mistakes are made even if it is by buying $1000 pants. Too bad people don't always learn from mistakes and keep on making them and not learning.

Also, about the out of sight out of mind thing, I don't read news either. Most of the time I have no idea what is going on in the world. The reason why I don't read the news is because I don't like distracting my mind with things that it doesn't need to be distracted with. I just feel like putting more strain on your mind and unnecessarily putting thoughts into your mind isn't necessary. I usually try and walk around without putting thoughts in my mind. It is hard but I am getting a little used to it.

Quote:
You also do realize that I work with youth on a daily basis correct? You also do realize that I've volunteered with youth on some basis for the past seven years right? So while I may be generalizing and I could break it down by demographics to you if that would make you happy, I'll stand ably by and say that today, children/youth between the ages of 13 - 20 are far more materialistic than those same children five years ago, just from personal experience. When I coach soccer, five years ago my kids would just show up wearing whatever cleats and our team soccer kits. Last year, the kids in that same age group (11-13) all needed to have the latest soccer boot (Messi's) and the best equipment (the World Cup Ball, authentic retailing at $140.00). A few kids did not have it and legitimately became outcasts on the team socially because they were considered poor. This is just one example of many I can give you.

Yes, there are many, many materialistic adults. Heck, drive down Bay St. and they'll just jump out at you everywhere.
The kid part I have noticed too. When I was much younger materialism wasn't AS prevalent, it definitely was but not as much as kids now a days. They have phones in elementary school, every kid knows how to work a computer and play games. Kids are distracting their minds from a young age and it absolutely sucks that this is the way that society is headed, but it's the same once again with adults, can't just throw all the blame on kids alone.

I bet the workplace is probably the same, if people aren't wearing the nicest things then they will be outcast too, university is the same. Hopefully a conscious movement will bring an end to all this, but then again how many people try to go for enlightenment now a days?

BTW I don't want to get into an argument with you, I respect you and your opinion, I just wanted to post one last time in response and will not be posting about this topic anymore unless I need to. We clearly have the same belief about materialism but not life in general. I also don't know if I conveyed all my points clearly and if you were able to follow since I feel like they were just everywhere. We clearly have the same belief about materialism but not life in general and I realize I have probably repeated the same points like 20 times in this post lol my bad.

I hope this isn't a crappy post but I thought I might as well post it as I have been writing it for so long and have stopped studying for a midterm for about over an hour just to write this.
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #311 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,931
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Most I've spent on jeans probably 30 bucks
Dario is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #312 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Looks like we're just all on different stages in our lives.
I know y'all been through a lot but this generation people have access to jobs and can make money to spend on luxury items.

As for calling me dumb; Jesus saves, I spend.
Hilarious ...
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #313 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Gurk, I wish I had time to debate/comment on this further with you. I really do ...
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #314 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Gurk, I wish I had time to debate/comment on this further with you. I really do ...
Haha it's all good I wasn't planning on commenting furthur anyways. I shouldn't have wrote that post, got distracted when I should've been studying. Oh well, first time for everything and a good learning experience

Last edited by Gurk; 02-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #315 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,700
Representing:
Default

Ol' gurky went and got all growsed up. I don't necessarily agree with you but that sure as hell beats the one word posts of old!

While there is value in the 'all is dukkha' thread you spin, Gurk, you will come to find that the world is a small place, and almost everything will come to affect you one way or another. Knowledge is never a distraction.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #316 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
Ol' gurky went and got all growsed up. I don't necessarily agree with you but that sure as hell beats the one word posts of old!

While there is value in the 'all is dukkha' thread you spin, Gurk, you will come to find that the world is a small place, and almost everything will come to affect you one way or another. Knowledge is never a distraction.
Thanks 'trane and dw, sometimes I read the posts I had from before and wish i could go back and delete them all but whatever I have learned since then. Sorry to have tortured you guys with those posts lol

And yea taking south asian religions right now because I wanted to learn about the spirituality factors that come into play of hinduism and buddhism religions. I do beleive a lot of it is suffering. I also 100% agree with your post, I would never doubt that knowledge is key and that we are all connected with each other and that something one person does affects others. I really hope my post didn't come off as I didn't believe in any of that.
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #317 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,800
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Thanks 'trane and dw, sometimes I read the posts I had from before and wish i could go back and delete them all but whatever I have learned since then. Sorry to have tortured you guys with those posts lol

And yea taking south asian religions right now because I wanted to learn about the spirituality factors that come into play of hinduism and buddhism religions. I do beleive a lot of it is suffering. I also 100% agree with your post, I would never doubt that knowledge is key and that we are all connected with each other and that something one person does affects others. I really hope my post didn't come off as I didn't believe in any of that.
dang this is what happens when people reach two decades of age huh.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #318 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,700
Representing:
Default

You never tortured us gurk, you were a kid!

Read the news dude. If you believe we are all connected then you gotta know what's happening.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #319 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
dang this is what happens when people reach two decades of age huh.
It depends on how much weed you smoke and the kind of music you listen too. That's what got me hooked. Plus I have always had these random thoughts about the world since I was younger. That made me get so hooked even easier lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
You never tortured us gurk, you were a kid!

Read the news dude. If you believe we are all connected then you gotta know what's happening.
I read the news to a certain extent, if it is anything coming out of america, I won't read it. Also as i said before I feel like reading the news just distracts us, sure I believe we are all interconnected but i don't believe that I have to know what is going on in the world to believe we are all connected. I am pretty sure in early civilization people didn't know what was going on in the world but still believed in the notion of being connected.
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #320 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,099
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Looks like we're just all on different stages in our lives.
I know y'all been through a lot but this generation people have access to jobs and can make money to spend on luxury items.

As for calling me dumb; Jesus saves, I spend.
Lol. People in earlier generations didn't have access to jobs and money to blow?

Just because some pants are 1000 bucks doesn't mean its luxury lol
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24