To what degree can you defy disobey somebody - Page 3
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,561
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
I want to survive and the camp hints were not too helpful. They said to just wave your arms and dont run. Yell at the bear and let him know your there. I plan on bringing a knife and some sand.
You're just going to get sent back home with that knife.

Seriously bear attacks are rare, and you'll be well protected in a group.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,008
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
I plan on bringing a knife and some sand.



God these threads are jokes
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,344
Representing:
Default

do bears attack sleeping people?
th3answ3r is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,008
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
do bears attack sleeping people?
Don't know, ask them.

jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,686
Representing:
Default

bears stay as far as possible away from people unless they are threatened. a knife is useless. sand?

dude, you really need to just chill and trust the people running the camp. you are killing the possibility of having fun by worrying. i mean this with all due respect, but you need to start growing up. either that or you are a masterful troll.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,557
Representing:
Default

i think you should lock yourself in your bedroom... dont ever come out because you can get hurt if you leave the safety of your bedroom.
its too risky out there... theres so many nasty things that can harm you.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
th3answ3r, my friend, is blowing in the wind. th3answ3r is blowing in the wind.
how many threads must a young man make? before he is banned by the mods?
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,517
Representing:
Default

Sounds like you need a visit from doctor RaptorsBestFan.
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #49 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,330
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
either that or you are a masterful troll.
beginning to feel the same
nobody can possibly be this naive in real life
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk View Post
agreed
nobody can be possibly be this naive in real life
Oh yeah - they can. A friend of my brother worked for Parks Canada in BC. One day he saw a guy putting his small child on the back of a juvenile bear that had likely been fed by people regularly. The park employee flipped out on the guy and shrieked, "are you fucking crazy?". She lost her job for using profanity when this idiot complained.

You have people jumping into animal confinements at zoos. And tourists doing shit like giving asian monkeys a bottle of water, and then trying to get it back when they see them having trouble opening it. I mean why would the monkeys fuck you up when you're just trying to help?

There is a massive difference to how people see, and interact with nature now as opposed to when I was a kid. And nature itself has been so completely hybridized and effected by us while we continue to lose more and more of an understanding of what life is like beyond the latest status update texted on Facebook while sitting in Starbucks. Nature is something we watch on TV now. And that's probably not even done so much anymore, outside of shark week. And irrational fear, or an irrational, careless, lack of fear or respect of the wild, has swamped so much of a basic understanding that was there when it was more of a part of our lives.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #51 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,344
Representing:
Default

I barely passed the swim test. They will let me on the boat. Thought I failed because I dont know how to tread. I'll take it though
th3answ3r is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

We used to pack bear spray when we camped in Algonquin in the early 90's. A lot of campers did back then I think because of this incident...

Quote:
Raymond Jakubauskas, 32, male
Carola Frehe, 48, female

While they were setting up camp on Bates Island, a black bear broke both of their necks. The bear then dragged their bodies into the woods and consumed the remains. When police arrived five days later, the bear was guarding the bodies. A park naturalist called the attack "right off the scale of normal bear behavior".
Our camp was checked out by a bear one night at around 2 am which was kinda scary even though we'd done everything by the book - food tied up off the ground, etc.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

I was biking on a country road when a black bear started to chase me. Scared the LIVING SHIT out of me it did. There was actually a big hill coming up after a turn in the road. I guess the bear stopped before that bend, but i would have been toast if it kept up the persuit up that hill.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #54 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,686
Representing:
Default

sure, there are bear attcks. you can read about every one of them in north america here:

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

almost all of these are attacks against lone people or pairs, some from pets or trained animals, and a couple in incidents where the urban sprawl and nature are bumping up aginast each other. most are in yukon, alaska and bc, where grizzlies are much more aggressive.

that's 32 total attacks in all of north america (3 in ontario) in 20 years. if you are travelling in a group in a well-travelled area this is simply not something to be worried about.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #55 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Oh yeah - they can. A friend of my brother worked for Parks Canada in BC. One day he saw a guy putting his small child on the back of a juvenile bear that had likely been fed by people regularly. The park employee flipped out on the guy and shrieked, "are you fucking crazy?". She lost her job for using profanity when this idiot complained.

You have people jumping into animal confinements at zoos. And tourists doing shit like giving asian monkeys a bottle of water, and then trying to get it back when they see them having trouble opening it. I mean why would the monkeys fuck you up when you're just trying to help?

There is a massive difference to how people see, and interact with nature now as opposed to when I was a kid. And nature itself has been so completely hybridized and effected by us while we continue to lose more and more of an understanding of what life is like beyond the latest status update texted on Facebook while sitting in Starbucks. Nature is something we watch on TV now. And that's probably not even done so much anymore, outside of shark week. And irrational fear, or an irrational, careless, lack of fear or respect of the wild, has swamped so much of a basic understanding that was there when it was more of a part of our lives.
I'd go the other way and say it's much better these days. When you think about the circus shows in the 20's and 30's and the state of zoos before there was a change in thinking. I mean, 30 years ago I was probably making a 'dump run' with my family up in Huntsville to drop our garbage off and watch bears frolick in the trash from the safety of our Volvo. We just didn't understand that it was a problem. And everyone up there did it.

People have always been at times stupid. You just hear about every incident these days. And I bet way more people go camping - true camping where they get an understanding and develop a respect for nature - now than they did when we were young.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

And this stuff's good to know...

Black Bear Safety Rules | Algonquin Provincial Park | The Friends of Algonquin Park
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,330
Representing:
Default

back in 89, i remember setting up camp in Botswana one night

there was a BBC documentary crew in the area and they came around just before dusk and warned us of a lot of Hyenas in the area (that's what they were filming)...they told us to be careful and not to worry if we spot 2 or 3 together..but if we saw 5 or 6 in a group hanging around then we should get back in our truck immediatley
we spotted quite a few during dinner but they were in small numbers...they would walk around the outer edges of our campsite
later that night i was sitting by the fire (rest of the group had called it a night) and had quite a few of them walk right thru the campsite...i was sitting about 20 feet from the fire and actually had a number of them walk between me and the fire
kept relaxed and continued to read my book and drink my Tusker lager...it was pretty amazing experience !

on another occasion we were camped in the Serengeti...all of the group jumped into the truck to visit a local watering hole for a few beers and i decided to stay back on this particular night...was sitting out in the middle of nowhere by a roaring fire with nothing but a dull machete and a case of Tusker
could see animals circling the perimeter of the campsite (eyes reflecting from fire-light), could hear lions grunting out in the plains and there was THE most incredible blanket of stars overhead
one of the most memorable moments of my life
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
I'd go the other way and say it's much better these days. When you think about the circus shows in the 20's and 30's and the state of zoos before there was a change in thinking. I mean, 30 years ago I was probably making a 'dump run' with my family up in Huntsville to drop our garbage off and watch bears frolick in the trash from the safety of our Volvo. We just didn't understand that it was a problem. And everyone up there did it.

People have always been at times stupid. You just hear about every incident these days. And I bet way more people go camping - true camping where they get an understanding and develop a respect for nature - now than they did when we were young.
I drove the backroads from Canmore to Golden last year and there was not a lot of true camping to be seen. There are hordes of people everywhere in spots that I remember as being fairly remote. There just isn't much of anything that isn't like that dump in Huntsville. The presence of human activity has altered so much that it isn't funny. I would agree with an idea that there is much less of a destructive impulse in the way individuals appoach animal wildlife, but you still get dopes feeling they have a right to kill anything that hampers their gardening, while the best zoos I have seen do a great job of trying to match conditions that the animals can no longer find with ease on their own. We have become the worst of invasive species.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk View Post
back in 89, i remember setting up camp in Botswana one night

there was a BBC documentary crew in the area and they came around just before dusk and warned us of a lot of Hyenas in the area (that's what they were filming)...they told us to be careful and not to worry if we spot 2 or 3 together..but if we saw 5 or 6 in a group hanging around then we should get back in our truck immediatley
we spotted quite a few during dinner but they were in small numbers...they would walk around the outer edges of our campsite
later that night i was sitting by the fire (rest of the group had called it a night) and had quite a few of them walk right thru the campsite...i was sitting about 20 feet from the fire and actually had a number of them walk between me and the fire
kept relaxed and continued to read my book and drink my Tusker lager...it was pretty amazing experience !

on another occasion we were camped in the Serengeti...all of the group jumped into the truck to visit a local watering hole for a few beers and i decided to stay back on this particular night...was sitting out in the middle of nowhere by a roaring fire with nothing but a dull machete and a case of Tusker
could see animals circling the perimeter of the campsite (eyes reflecting from fire-light), could hear lions grunting out in the plains and there was THE most incredible blanket of stars overhead
one of the most memorable moments of my life
That sounds amazing. The moment that I had that comes closest to that was in a Sri Lankan park where some amazing guides know all the ins and outs and how to approach areas so that animals are not alerted to your presence. We saw some elephants at dusk, when they are generally not seen, and were able to make out this amazing dance-like interaction between them. We slept under the stars as well.

The interconnectedness that you can find in places like that is getting harder to find. I remember being able to get a little of that sense in microcosms that were just a short bike ride away. There were ponds, open fields, and creeks filled with beavers and deer right in my neighborhood growing up in Calgary. Those smallest of refuges are in pretty short supply now.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #60 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,344
Representing:
Default

what do I do if theres a thunder storm tomorrow
th3answ3r is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24