speeding ticket court
Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default speeding ticket court

I have a court date coming up to fight a speeding ticket i got (i was going 70in a 50 zone - although i really thought it was a 60 zone).

i have never got a speeding ticket before, so i don't really know what to expect at the court. Here are a few questions: If i am supposed to be there for 9:00, should i get there earlier? how early should i go to talk to the justice of the peace?
shit... i'm getting nervous. I really don't know what to expect.
this is the first time i've ever been pulled over. I don't care about any fine, i just don't want my insurance to go up.

I plan on admitting i was wrong and just BEGGING for the court's mercy to reduce the points. lol.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,295
Representing:
Get there 30 minutes early, and plead guilty "with an explanation" and chances are they'll reduce it. The last two speeding tickets i got i fought them and they were both thrown out. One ticket was thrown out (cancelled) because the cop that gave me the ticket failed to show up in court (happens often, so i'm told), and the second one was thrown out because they misspelled my name on the Ticket which was hillarious.

Make sure that everything written down on the ticket is correct (ie: Name, Plate #, address)

* The only problem is, if you plead guilty, they'll reduce the fine but the points will be the same. Which will likely effect your insurance. But since it's your first ticket it might not effect it that much. So you may wanna plead not guilty and hope it gets thrown out. How old are you?

Last edited by jeffb; 01-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,985
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I have a court date coming up to fight a speeding ticket i got (i was going 70in a 50 zone - although i really thought it was a 60 zone).

i have never got a speeding ticket before, so i don't really know what to expect at the court. Here are a few questions: If i am supposed to be there for 9:00, should i get there earlier? how early should i go to talk to the justice of the peace?
shit... i'm getting nervous. I really don't know what to expect.
this is the first time i've ever been pulled over. I don't care about any fine, i just don't want my insurance to go up.

I plan on admitting i was wrong and just BEGGING for the court's mercy to reduce the points. lol.
wait....if you dont want to argue the ticket, why are you going to court?...why not just pay the ticket?...i've argued a ticket once, and the officer never showed up, so i didnt have to pay for the ticket.

and ya i would go there at least 15 mins early...

and dont worry, your insurance rate doesn't go up because of a ticket, you have to be in an accident and it has to be your fault for the insurance rate to go up... at least thats how it works in BC.
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A00715890 View Post
wait....if you dont want to argue the ticket, why are you going to court?...why not just pay the ticket?...i've argued a ticket once, and the officer never showed up, so i didnt have to pay for the ticket.

and ya i would go there at least 15 mins early...

and dont worry, your insurance rate doesn't go up because of a ticket, you have to be in an accident and it has to be your fault for the insurance rate to go up... at least thats how it works in BC.
Insurane man. In Ontario, insurance WILL go up because of a ticket.
any loss of demerit points will result in big ins. increase. I feel like i have to do everything in my power to stop that from happening.

EDIT: Oh and Jeff, i am pleading not guilty. i'm 32.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,295
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A00715890 View Post
and dont worry, your insurance rate doesn't go up because of a ticket, you have to be in an accident and it has to be your fault for the insurance rate to go up... at least thats how it works in BC.
Not here, if you get a speeding ticket and are going a certain speed over the limit (depends on the speed limits) you get demerit points.

-50-60KM limit= anything 10km+ over the limit is 2 or 3 demerit points

-Highway 100KM limit= anything over 118Km is 3 demerit points

And there is no way that even in Vancouver you can speed all you want and have it no effect your insurance.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,295
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Insurane man. In Ontario, insurance WILL go up because of a ticket.
any loss of demerit points will result in big ins. increase. I feel like i have to do everything in my power to stop that from happening.

EDIT: Oh and Jeff, i am pleading not guilty. i'm 32.
Ok, plaeding not guilty is the smarter way to go. Hopefully the cop doesn't show up. If he does then talk to him and hopefully he will reduce the speed you were going so that you don't get demerit points.

To be honest, at 32 years old and a clean record (if you have no accidents) then i don't think your insurance would go up too much. If you were 20 and a newer driver then it effects it more. The only problem is it stays on your record for 3 years i believe. Even though your points go back to normal after 2yrs.

Like i said though check the ticket to see if all the info is correct , license plate #, your name, address. If anything is wrong it could be thrown out.

Last edited by jeffb; 01-15-2010 at 09:01 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,985
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Not here, if you get a speeding ticket and are going a certain speed over the limit (depends on the speed limits) you get demerit points.

-50-60KM limit= anything 10km+ over the limit is 2 or 3 demerit points

-Highway 100KM limit= anything over 118Km is 3 demerit points

And there is no way that even in Vancouver you can speed all you want and have it no effect your insurance.
hmm...i got a ticket for excessive speeding during summer, i was doing 135 on 110....i know i got 3 points in my record...and if i get anymore points within the next year, i have to start over my "N" but my insurance hasn't gone up one cent....
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

PLead guilty based on ignorance.

Tell them that you for a short while had larger sized tires than what came on the car and that afterwards a friend told you that because the cars spedometer works based on tire revolutions it was off and reading lower than it should have. Tell the judge you have since corrected that problem and that you were an idiot for not nowing this sooner but your knowledge of cars is limited to putting in gas and driving it.

Worked on a ticket once for me, got reduced fine and only 3 points instead of five.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,295
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
PLead guilty based on ignorance.

Tell them that you for a short while had larger sized tires than what came on the car and that afterwards a friend told you that because the cars spedometer works based on tire revolutions it was off and reading lower than it should have. Tell the judge you have since corrected that problem and that you were an idiot for not nowing this sooner but your knowledge of cars is limited to putting in gas and driving it.

Worked on a ticket once for me, got reduced fine and only 3 points instead of five.
5 points?

WTF were you doing? 20 km over the speed limit + not wearing a seatbelt while texting naked?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

uhhh.... i have no confidence in myself to pull that off, snooch.

I'm just going to say i didn't know it was a 50. Say that it was a terrible lapse of judgement and be very sincere.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,467
Representing:
Default

I've been caught speeding twice in Manitoba. I just paid the tickets. Like A007, I don't recall it affecting my insurance (Manitoba autopac), either. However, the tickets did cause me to lose points on my license, and that made renewing my license more expensive the following year. The consequences are not the same in each province. Driving a car in Ontario seems more costly... in several ways.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
5 points?

WTF were you doing? 20 km over the speed limit + not wearing a seatbelt while texting naked?
Here it is 3 points for under 25km over and 5 for over 25km over the limit.

In this instance I was doing 100km in a 70km zone.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,373
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
uhhh.... i have no confidence in myself to pull that off, snooch.

I'm just going to say i didn't know it was a 50. Say that it was a terrible lapse of judgement and be very sincere.
For the sake of strategy....How can you plead "not guilty" and then admit guilt?
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renihan_00 View Post
For the sake of strategy....How can you plead "not guilty" and then admit guilt?
for one thing i genuinely thought it was a higher zone. I'm going to try to talk to the justice and/or cop before the actual trial. My plea will likely be decided last minute.

similar question: how can anyone plead not guilty to speeding when their is clear proof that they sped.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,295
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
for one thing i genuinely thought it was a higher zone. I'm going to try to talk to the justice and/or cop before the actual trial. My plea will likely be decided last minute.

similar question: how can anyone plead not guilty to speeding when their is clear proof that they sped.
What proof? A written ticket? Isn't it basically the cops word vs yours?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,373
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
for one thing i genuinely thought it was a higher zone. I'm going to try to talk to the justice and/or cop before the actual trial. My plea will likely be decided last minute.

similar question: how can anyone plead not guilty to speeding when their is clear proof that they sped.
Well it has to be an option right? You could claim a few things:

1) Someone used your ID and you were not the driver (so someone committed fraud)

2) You didn't speed and the cop is flat out wrong

I'm sure there are more...They can't not provide you with the option to argue for your innocence!

Anyways... You ARE guilty. I'm all for you finding a way to beat the ticket but I don't understand how you can plead not guilty and then say "I'm very sorry for being guilty"

It just makes no sense to me. If you admit your guilt and have no valid excuse other than ignorance, how can they NOT give you the fine as stated?

I've never been to traffic court either because I rule at getting out of tickets (ok I'm 1 for 1 haha) but it makes no sense to me.

Maybe that's how things go down but if it is, I'm at a loss.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
on the road to recovery

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Representing:
Default

It's been awhile since I've written here at RF, but this post caught my attention. I was recently at traffic court (in Peel) and thought I'd relay my experience. It was my first time as well and so I understand the OP's feeling.

I would recommend that you go to the court house early so you can find your court room. In the waiting area, you'll see the other defendants and some of the officers there. If you feel bold enough, you can try to talk to the cop about your ticket (they might show you the notes they took). If you're lucky, the officer will not be there (half of the tickets were thrown out at my court session because of this). But, if you were pulled over by a traffic enforcement cop, they will probably show.

When everyone is called into the courtroom, the defendants will line up for a chance to talk to the prosecution attorney. They will briefly discuss your case and will try to bargain you down to accept a guilty plea, with probably a reduce fine/charge. Whether you choose to accept this is entirely up to you. Otherwise, you will have to argue your case in court.

In my session, only one person chose to go to trial. She wasn't well prepared and did not have convincing arguments. She was eventually bullied by the judge and prosecution into accepting a guilty plea.

I've heard of people trying to fight the tickets using various means (i.e. questioning the use/calibration of the radar gun, constitutional challenges) with varying results. If so, you should request "disclosure" from the prosecution to build your case. There are websites/forums out there that would be a better resource for this than me. Check them out if you choose to pursue this path.

Given your case, I would guess that the prosecution will try to bargain you down to a lesser charge/speed. Probably 15 km over, which will be no points. But a conviction will be on your record, which is what the prosecution wants. Whether you choose to accept this, is entirely up to you. I am not sure how your insurance rates would be affected by the conviction.

Best of luck with your case!
nucleophile is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Thanks Nucleophile!


you've been a big help.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Fancy I'm in your boat. I got a ticket on Rutherford road going through York Region and the guy nailed me. Apparently it was a school zone (ya at 2am) that i didn't know of. I took it to court I"m going in April. I just cry in court and hopefully get some reduction. I really have nothing I did it and the cop was pacing me rather than a gun not much to argue about.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

heh. hopefully we have better luck with our speeding tickets then with our football teams.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Season Ticket sales down in the NBA jeffb Toronto Raptors 35 01-22-2010 01:27 PM
Speeding tickets jumplvlan23 Entertainment Lounge 31 03-05-2009 03:53 PM
Any Help on speeding Torrents Champuz Entertainment Lounge 11 01-26-2009 06:52 PM
Um...one ticket to N'Awlins puh-leeze!!! Jay Entertainment Lounge 3 01-28-2008 12:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24