Smartphone users... I need to make a decision. - Page 4
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,698
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post

when i hear people bitch about how they're a waste of money or too expensive, i think about the two or three non-mac's i would have to buy in that span while having to use shitty computer. it puts a smile on my face.
+1

the initial investment is definitely higher, but you spread the cost out over a much longer period of time, and it ends up being cheaper in the long run. basic economics baby!! i've had my macbook for four years running and like you said the only issue i've had is that the battery has run out.

now my blackberry on the other hand...i'd throw the piece of shit at a wall, but then rogers wouldn't repair the motherfucker for free. i've gone through two blackberries in the first year and a half of my three year contract - the trackpad shittered out on the first one for no reason, and the trackpad and keyboard shittered out on the second one for no reason. now the trackpad on the third one doesn't work. terrible phones. once my contract is up in 2013, i will be 100% finished with blackberry forever.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,209
Representing:
Default

I also have to agree about the Macbook talk.

Wonderful machine.

Can you build a system more powerful for the same/less money?

Definitely.

But you're also paying for convenience, crisp performance, general aesthetic appeal as well as longevity.

I've never had any problems with any files or anything. Sure, you need an adapter to run HDMI. I went to my local bootleg electronics store and got that cable for 15 bucks. Works like a charm.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #63 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
+1

the initial investment is definitely higher, but you spread the cost out over a much longer period of time, and it ends up being cheaper in the long run. basic economics baby!! i've had my macbook for four years running and like you said the only issue i've had is that the battery has run out.

now my blackberry on the other hand...i'd throw the piece of shit at a wall, but then rogers wouldn't repair the motherfucker for free. i've gone through two blackberries in the first year and a half of my three year contract - the trackpad shittered out on the first one for no reason, and the trackpad and keyboard shittered out on the second one for no reason. now the trackpad on the third one doesn't work. terrible phones. once my contract is up in 2013, i will be 100% finished with blackberry forever.
speaking of basic economics I don't know why people get themselves locked into long term phone contracts. Initially the phone might be cheaper but when I compare my what I pay per month to other peoples phone bills they are paying 50-100% more with the same amount of talk, text and internet usage.
Prepaid all the way!
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #64 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,698
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
speaking of basic economics I don't know why people get themselves locked into long term phone contracts. Initially the phone might be cheaper but when I compare my what I pay per month to other peoples phone bills they are paying 50-100% more with the same amount of talk, text and internet usage.
Prepaid all the way!
yea don't get me started. i was forced into a family plan.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #65 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,933
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I have to admit that I was going to go this way after hearing some people talk about the Galaxy phones... until I heard others complaining about constant crashes and having to wait months on end for upgrades.

I just find it hard to believe that Apple could make such a shitty phone when their computers are top-notch (IMO).

I've used Motorola phones for the past 10 years (Razr, Krazr) and now have a pretty basic Samsung and I've never had any problems with dropped calls on any of them (maybe a couple of isolated incidences).... Are people really finding that the I-Phone drops calls on a daily basis? Or did Claudius just get a lemon?

I'm a ROGERS customer too btw.
im a rogers customer as well. My galaxy nexus has never crashed on me, nor has my friends' (3) nexus s crashed on them. They are also google phones so updates are never a worry. The samsung galaxy sII for example (not a google phone) got the latest android software update (4.0) after the nexus s, which is a generation older. so I don't know what you're saying
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,933
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
speaking of basic economics I don't know why people get themselves locked into long term phone contracts. Initially the phone might be cheaper but when I compare my what I pay per month to other peoples phone bills they are paying 50-100% more with the same amount of talk, text and internet usage.
Prepaid all the way!
see this confuses me. I'm with rogers, and rogers says you either pay 600 or so dollars up front, and you have no guaranteed contract and can upgrade your phone whenever, or pay 150 for three years, and must stay with the same hardware for three years or pay a bit to upgrade. They said the monthly plan amount would be the same, which is why I got a plan again. So explain to me what you're saying.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,029
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
my first macbook lasted me over five years and the only problem i had with it was that the battery had run it's life. never an issue with software or handware and never an issue with having to convert torrents or anything of the sort. the only drawback is that some companies don't have compatible programs, and it's their loss since the can be found open source anyways.

when i hear people bitch about how they're a waste of money or too expensive, i think about the two or three non-mac's i would have to buy in that span while having to use shitty computer. it puts a smile on my face.
Yeah. Gotta say PC's suck! I've had mine 4yrs and i'm constantly having problems and it's so slow at times and freezes up on me quite a bit. My girlfriend has had her Mac for 6 yrs now and she's had no problems with it and no viruses at all. Me, i'm constatly finding shit when i sweep and every year i have to upgrade the virus protection. My next computer will absolutely be a Mac, no question. I give this laptop a year and i'll have to buy a new computer.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #68 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,467
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Yeah. Gotta say PC's suck! I've had mine 4yrs and i'm constantly having problems and it's so slow at times and freezes up on me quite a bit. My girlfriend has had her Mac for 6 yrs now and she's had no problems with it and no viruses at all. Me, i'm constatly finding shit when i sweep and every year i have to upgrade the virus protection. My next computer will absolutely be a Mac, no question. I give this laptop a year and i'll have to buy a new computer.
It seems like you guys don't see the difference between the hardware and software. Once again its windows that sucks not the computer. I had my laptop for 4 years now with no problem at all, im using linux and its just as smooth and as it was when i bought it..
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,322
Representing:
Default

Windows 7 has been the most stable OS I've ever used.
Nites is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #70 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,029
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
Windows 7 has been the most stable OS I've ever used.
that's what i have and i hate it.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,467
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
Windows 7 has been the most stable OS I've ever used.
It still has all the same problems like all windows before that. I like the design of it, but that's about it.
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,322
Representing:
Default

Windows 7 is really good at recognizing devices and hardware. You don't even have to install any drivers anymore because it does all that stuff for you. Wireless networking is so much better on Windows 7 as well. Everything is insanely easy to setup. I've used Windows 95, 98, ME, Vista and XP. Windows 7 is by far the best for the average computer user.
Nites is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #73 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
see this confuses me. I'm with rogers, and rogers says you either pay 600 or so dollars up front, and you have no guaranteed contract and can upgrade your phone whenever, or pay 150 for three years, and must stay with the same hardware for three years or pay a bit to upgrade. They said the monthly plan amount would be the same, which is why I got a plan again. So explain to me what you're saying.
when you have a contract you have to pay a minimum + extra if you use more info or talk more. Prepaid is easier to control an they still offer free minutes and internet. For someone that travels like me I don't like having to pay when I'm out of the country and when you want to cancel the contract you have to pay out the remaining monts. So you basically pay off a phone that has no resale value since new models come out every 6 months.
When you pay $40-50 a month compared to $20 it adds up
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,377
Representing:
Default

Well, decided to go with the I-Phone 4S in the end. Got it today and bought a "Lifeproof" case for it which is supposed to be waterproof to 2M, snowproof, dustproof and able to withstand a drop from 6ft.

Looks cool so far and I'm def. having fun figuring things out... we'll see how things go. One thing that really impressed me was how quickly I was able to D/L all the songs from my Macbook to my IPhone. I have about 1200 and I thought it would have taken at least an hour or something. I think it took 5-10 min. Nice.

Now I'm on to the app thread to see what I need to get....

Thanks again to all who threw in their 2 cents!
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,029
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Well, decided to go with the I-Phone 4S in the end. Got it today and bought a "Lifeproof" case for it which is supposed to be waterproof to 2M, snowproof, dustproof and able to withstand a drop from 6ft.

Looks cool so far and I'm def. having fun figuring things out... we'll see how things go. One thing that really impressed me was how quickly I was able to D/L all the songs from my Macbook to my IPhone. I have about 1200 and I thought it would have taken at least an hour or something. I think it took 5-10 min. Nice.

Now I'm on to the app thread to see what I need to get....

Thanks again to all who threw in their 2 cents!
Good choice IMO. Good luck, hopefully you like it.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #76 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
Windows 7 is really good at recognizing devices and hardware. You don't even have to install any drivers anymore because it does all that stuff for you. Wireless networking is so much better on Windows 7 as well. Everything is insanely easy to setup. I've used Windows 95, 98, ME, Vista and XP. Windows 7 is by far the best for the average computer user.
yeah im using windows 7 on my PC and i love it, never bailed on me since i bought it. huge upgrade, but i might get a mac laptop to try the best of both worlds.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #77 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
I also have to agree about the Macbook talk.

Wonderful machine.

Can you build a system more powerful for the same/less money?

Definitely.

But you're also paying for convenience, crisp performance, general aesthetic appeal as well as longevity.

I've never had any problems with any files or anything. Sure, you need an adapter to run HDMI. I went to my local bootleg electronics store and got that cable for 15 bucks. Works like a charm.
No, if you know how to build one. Nowadays, a custom built PC of the same price beats the Macbook easily. Also upgrading is cheap - just replace the parts you need to change instead of getting a new unit for Macs. And building PC's isn't even that hard.

Maybe you guys are talking about ones they sell at your local electronics shop preinstalled with OS and other crapware. Those are the low-end ones and it's not really fair to compare those to macs. Just look at the prices.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #78 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,987
Representing:
Default

Siri - show me all the facets of the game where Rondo is better than Westbrook.

Siri - how do I stop thinking about Chris Bosh?
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #79 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,068
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Well, decided to go with the I-Phone 4S in the end. Got it today and bought a "Lifeproof" case for it which is supposed to be waterproof to 2M, snowproof, dustproof and able to withstand a drop from 6ft.

Looks cool so far and I'm def. having fun figuring things out... we'll see how things go. One thing that really impressed me was how quickly I was able to D/L all the songs from my Macbook to my IPhone. I have about 1200 and I thought it would have taken at least an hour or something. I think it took 5-10 min. Nice.

Now I'm on to the app thread to see what I need to get....

Thanks again to all who threw in their 2 cents!
have about 2500 songs on my phone

and don't forget to download a banking app
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #80 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,563
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
No, if you know how to build one. Nowadays, a custom built PC of the same price beats the Macbook easily. Also upgrading is cheap - just replace the parts you need to change instead of getting a new unit for Macs. And building PC's isn't even that hard.

Maybe you guys are talking about ones they sell at your local electronics shop preinstalled with OS and other crapware. Those are the low-end ones and it's not really fair to compare those to macs. Just look at the prices.
Spot on.

If you ever want anything besides a laptop, custom is the way to go.
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24