The RF Food Thread! - Page 2
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Has anyone tried Smokes Poutinerie or Caplansky's in downtown Toronto? I've heard great things about both. Smokes has a bacon poutine that looks delish. Apparently, Caplansky's has the best smoked meat sandwich in Hogtown.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Was Massimo's on Restaurant Makeover? I hate that show, but watch it all the time.
yeah. it's kind of sad. Apparently "Massimo" died and now his family run it. I never saw the episode, but i think they did it after he passed. Anyways, the slices now can be great, or they can be somewhat of a miss. The margharita is still the way to go, but it ain't what it used to be. Man that place never should have gone on that show. total waste of money.

Anways, i'll stop in every now and then. It reminds me of fun times after a night with the soul clan at rancho relaxo or saturday's at the elmo.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
yeah. it's kind of sad. Apparently "Massimo" died and now his family run it. I never saw the episode, but i think they did it after he passed. Anyways, the slices now can be great, or they can be somewhat of a miss. The margharita is still the way to go, but it ain't what it used to be. Man that place never should have gone on that show. total waste of money.

Anways, i'll stop in every now and then. It reminds me of fun times after a night with the soul clan at rancho relaxo or saturday's at the elmo.
Amato used to be good as well, but something happened. I remember they'd have these incredibly hot, heroin chic supermodels do their deliveries.

Restaurant Makeover is a total joke and the death knell for restaurants it seems. It's one big ego trip for the designers and chefs who really don't deserve to have an ego at all. Massimo Capra's cool though.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Amato used to be good as well, but something happened. I remember they'd have these incredibly hot, heroin chic supermodels do their deliveries.

Restaurant Makeover is a total joke and the death knell for restaurants it seems. It's one big ego trip for the designers and chefs who really don't deserve to have an ego at all. Massimo Capra's cool though.
I couldn't have said it better myself. At first i thought Restaurant Makeover was a fairly interestng concept - and potentially really good for the owners. Hey it's free money right? (Budget is doubled). But then when you see how the money gets pissed away, and how generic the places look afterwards? total waste IMO. And yes Massimo is cool. and yes the rest of them suck. Especially Lynn Crawford. she can go to hell.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,595
Representing:
Default

resto makeover nearly killed the favourite little hangout in mny neighbourhood. there is a little bar/restaurant called grapefruit moon on bathurst. it's a grubby hippie place, but that's its charm. it's packed every weekend for breakfast and does brisk trade throughout the week making food, coffee and booze drinks for university kids, etc.

resto makeover came through, whitewashed the exposed brick walls and tried to make it into a cutesy-girly place with bright colours and clean white lines. they also tried to get rid of the dishes that keep the regulars there. business took a nose dive immediately. the owner spent thousands of dollars reversing the stupid design ideas, and lo and behold the regulars started coming back. the place is back to its old self now, but it took a while. the brick will never be the same.

on top of that, the episode painted the owner as stubborn and uncreative, not willing to change with the times. the reality is that the designer was a moron that failed to understand both the eighbourhgood and the clientele.

it's totally different watching that show when you are intimately familiar with the resto in question.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #26 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,651
Representing:
Default

There's no point in naming places in St.Catharines because no one will know them or ever try them unless you're from here and then you already probably know them.

If your ever in the Falls, The Flying Saucer on Lundy's Lane has the best turkey subs ever. Slices of real Butterball turkey, melted cheese, gravy and mushrooms. Top it off with some coney fries and you're good to go. Also, the restaurant itself is an actual flying saucer which is super cool.

When I used to spend every weekend in Toronto we used to frequent The Stem on Queen W. The Stem Burger was the cat's ass.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
There's no point in naming places in St.Catharines because no one will know them or ever try them unless you're from here and then you already probably know them.

If your ever in the Falls, The Flying Saucer on Lundy's Lane has the best turkey subs ever. Slices of real Butterball turkey, melted cheese, gravy and mushrooms. Top it off with some coney fries and you're good to go. Also, the restaurant itself is an actual flying saucer which is super cool.

When I used to spend every weekend in Toronto we used to frequent The Stem on Queen W. The Stem Burger was the cat's ass.
+1

Go there at least a few times a year and whenver I'm visiting family.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,229
Representing:
Default

Niko Niko Sushi, downtown kitchener.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

A few places worthy of mentionning.

1. Yellow Griffin - Bloor/Runnymede. 35 different varieties of burgers. Any type of meat. Digustingly delcicious.

2. Sushi Mountain - Ajax (Westney/Kingston Rd). This is the only place I swear by in terms of all you eat. The rolls are on point 2 of them are my favourite - the Spicy Crab - pieces of tempura, crab meat and this spicy sauce and a mango roll - complete with mango sauce on the roll.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,488
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
My "jail food" (last meal on death row) would be Federicks Indo/Chinese food at Bellamy and Ellesmere.

Manchurian Shrimp Chowmein is to die for.
+1
fredericks is amazingly tasty!!! spicey...goood!
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
resto makeover nearly killed the favourite little hangout in mny neighbourhood. there is a little bar/restaurant called grapefruit moon on bathurst. it's a grubby hippie place, but that's its charm. it's packed every weekend for breakfast and does brisk trade throughout the week making food, coffee and booze drinks for university kids, etc.

resto makeover came through, whitewashed the exposed brick walls and tried to make it into a cutesy-girly place with bright colours and clean white lines. they also tried to get rid of the dishes that keep the regulars there. business took a nose dive immediately. the owner spent thousands of dollars reversing the stupid design ideas, and lo and behold the regulars started coming back. the place is back to its old self now, but it took a while. the brick will never be the same.

on top of that, the episode painted the owner as stubborn and uncreative, not willing to change with the times. the reality is that the designer was a moron that failed to understand both the eighbourhgood and the clientele.

it's totally different watching that show when you are intimately familiar with the resto in question.
I don't even think you have to be familiar with the places. It's so obvious sometimes. Like when Lynn Crawford introduced a seafood chowder to the menu at Reliable Fish & Chips. The overhead on her ingredients was through the roof. The whole show seems to be one big advertisement for the chef and designer since they never do any sort of follow up when it's well known that a large chunk of the restaurants go under and the "new menu" is almost never implemented. They also got a lot of flack for the food critic comments at the end of the show after it was discovered they were making it all up. And that same, old formula for each show...

"We need the whole 15 thousand..."

"Oh, gee, I don't know!" even though everything's been agreed to in advance.

I enjoy yelling at the television while my girlfriend rolls her eyes and this show is perfect for that.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
+1
fredericks is amazingly tasty!!! spicey...goood!
Hmmmmm.. tasty....Spicy.. gooood, huh? I think I'm gonna have to make a detour on my way home tonight.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Acme Burger on the Queensway is excellent.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,938
Representing:
Default

I got tired of the fake conflicts and problems the Resto Makeover kept throwing out there. Gotta love Igor though. I hope he rakes in the cash with that vehicle.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,938
Representing:
Default

El Sol on the Danforth is the best Mexican food around. It's authentic northern Mexican food - no Tex Mex. If you want hot watch out. Be very careful of even going medium. It's the best Guac on the planet, and the value is incredible when you consider how much food you get. I live for the Mole!
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
I got tired of the fake conflicts and problems the Resto Makeover kept throwing out there. Gotta love Igor though. I hope he rakes in the cash with that vehicle.
I liked him before he started thinking he was a comedian and got swept up into the scripted malarkey. I also hear his work is awful. His wife's cute though.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
+1
fredericks is amazingly tasty!!! spicey...goood!
Yup, that place is good.

Mr. Jerk on Morningside and Sheppherd, that's my shit!
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,595
Representing:
Default

alberts real jamaican food at vaughan and st clair ftw!
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,938
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
I liked him before he started thinking he was a comedian and got swept up into the scripted malarkey. I also hear his work is awful. His wife's cute though.
That's the hilarious irony about reality tv - it's not that it's unscripted, just poorly scripted. The whole Kitchen Nightmares thing is the same way with the fakery. if they just switched things up as much as the typical daytime talk show does, they might stay interesting. But it's always the same sort of conflicts right on cue. "I'm GOBsmacked!"
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
That's the hilarious irony about reality tv - it's not that it's unscripted, just poorly scripted. The whole Kitchen Nightmares thing is the same way with the fakery. if they just switched things up as much as the typical daytime talk show does, they might stay interesting. But it's always the same sort of conflicts right on cue. "I'm GOBsmacked!"
The UK version of Nightmares isn't scripted. It's brilliant. Its American counterpart is a joke.

Last edited by Aar_Canada; 01-28-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food Inc germain Entertainment Lounge 18 12-15-2009 06:50 PM
New Food menu at the ACC jeffb Toronto Raptors 17 09-19-2009 06:57 PM
Recycled Food Someguy again Entertainment Lounge 2 08-12-2009 04:08 PM
Food for Thought Benzo Entertainment Lounge 25 07-07-2008 07:02 PM
The International Food Thread lang Entertainment Lounge 14 07-06-2008 09:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24