Random Thought Thread. - Page 577
Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #11521 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

6 Man Like Lou Will
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,629
Representing:
Default

Too Long, Didn't Read
js12 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #11522 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,853
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
TL? DR?

I agree with what you said, but what did you mean by the above?
yup, what js12 said. Pretty much I was asking for a couple sentence summary if possible
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #11523 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box92 View Post
yup, what js12 said. Pretty much I was asking for a couple sentence summary if possible
It wasn't meant for you

What I posted was a future painted/guessed based on current and past transpirings. Not how they came to be.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #11524 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
My girlfriend will have hers by Monday at the latest, I'll let you guys know if it's as good as it sounds.
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #11525 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,853
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
It wasn't meant for you

What I posted was a future painted/guessed based on current and past transpirings. Not how they came to be.
huh
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #11526 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box92 View Post
huh
I meant I didn't post it with regards to your essay
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #11527 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,951
Representing:
Default

Got the scooter out of storage today ...freaking cold drive home
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #11528 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
Got the scooter out of storage today ...freaking cold drive home
Thinking of buying a bike within the next 5 years. Issue for me is storage and that I need a car too.

But first let's figure out how to ride one... Hahaha
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #11529 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,083
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Thinking of buying a bike within the next 5 years. Issue for me is storage and that I need a car too.

But first let's figure out how to ride one... Hahaha
For you I'd recommend a GSXR 1000
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #11530 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
long read, and just probably a bunch of hooey and grasping at straws, but still well written and a fun read if you have half an hour.

The Decline and Fall of the American Empire | The Nation

if the american global power does fall, I for one would be downright terrified of what could take its place.
I remember, and now this was quite some time ago (2007) where we debated in my history of globalization seminar if the decline of the American empire hadn't already happened as early as the 1970s.

This article seems to pinpoint 2003. I think that's far too late.

And why would you be terrified? Hell, why would anyone be fearful of nation states any longer? Corporations literally kill thousands of people each day, pollute our atmosphere, economically destroy cities, villages, and countries and control our cultural sphere more than any other country ever could. So yeah, be terrified of that, because it's been happening for a long, long, time.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #11531 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,951
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post

But first let's figure out how to ride one... Hahaha
do yourself a favour and sign up for a driving class...in 3 days (?) you'll feel comfortable enough to ride any size of bike you choose
i took a weekend driving course and immediately jumped on my Harley afterward...no problem
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #11532 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I remember, and now this was quite some time ago (2007) where we debated in my history of globalization seminar if the decline of the American empire hadn't already happened as early as the 1970s.

This article seems to pinpoint 2003. I think that's far too late.

And why would you be terrified? Hell, why would anyone be fearful of nation states any longer? Corporations literally kill thousands of people each day, pollute our atmosphere, economically destroy cities, villages, and countries and control our cultural sphere more than any other country ever could. So yeah, be terrified of that, because it's been happening for a long, long, time.
Sorry to pinpoint your pretty good post but there are few if any nation-states in the world. I hate it when profs say that term.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #11533 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Sorry to pinpoint your pretty good post but there are few if any nation-states in the world. I hate it when profs say that term.
If there are few (and there are), then who cares.

But yes, I'm very much aware of the term nation states and it's implications (the need for nationalism or nationalist fervour absence of additional forces).
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #11534 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
If there are few (and there are), then who cares.

But yes, I'm very much aware of the term nation states and it's implications (the need for nationalism or nationalist fervour absence of additional forces).
Yeah I know sorry it's just something I'm very nitpicky about.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #11535 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I remember, and now this was quite some time ago (2007) where we debated in my history of globalization seminar if the decline of the American empire hadn't already happened as early as the 1970s.

This article seems to pinpoint 2003. I think that's far too late.

And why would you be terrified? Hell, why would anyone be fearful of nation states any longer? Corporations literally kill thousands of people each day, pollute our atmosphere, economically destroy cities, villages, and countries and control our cultural sphere more than any other country ever could. So yeah, be terrified of that, because it's been happening for a long, long, time.
Yes but human rights is at its most advanced in the western world (please let's not get into a full blown argument on this). That mixed with the democratic system instills faith in me. Yes I know about corporations and lobbyists and the horrible mishmash that all is. But I still think there's a way out of the lobbyist problem in the states. I don't know how. But I have faith.

I'd rather the states be the greatest superpower than Russia or the people's republic of China.

A country can still govern its corporations, even the multinational massive ones. Fix the country and that problem goes away.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #11536 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,190
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
I don't know how. But I have faith.
With all of the posts you have made about religion, surely you see the problem here...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #11537 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
With all of the posts you have made about religion, surely you see the problem here...
I do, and I hesitated as I wrote it, but decided to anyways.

Again, I think it'd be easier to fix the lobbying issue than to have the people's republic of china and Russia catch up with human rights applications.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #11538 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Yes but human rights is at its most advanced in the western world (please let's not get into a full blown argument on this). That mixed with the democratic system instills faith in me. Yes I know about corporations and lobbyists and the horrible mishmash that all is. But I still think there's a way out of the lobbyist problem in the states. I don't know how. But I have faith.

I'd rather the states be the greatest superpower than Russia or the people's republic of China.

A country can still govern its corporations, even the multinational massive ones. Fix the country and that problem goes away.
I have one, very, simple question for you. How well do you know your history? How well do you know the history of globalization?

You're looking at the current lobbyist system ( a system which will never go away, it's naive to believe otherwise). It's laughable to think that countries can govern multinational corporations. Can you give me one example where it's been at all successful?

Lastly, each country (yes, even Canada) are hardly shining examples of fantastic human rights records.

Again, I'm far, far more fearful of McDonald's, yes McDonald's, then I ever will be of china or Russia. But that's just me.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #11539 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I have one, very, simple question for you. How well do you know your history? How well do you know the history of globalization?

You're looking at the current lobbyist system ( a system which will never go away, it's naive to believe otherwise). It's laughable to think that countries can govern multinational corporations. Can you give me one example where it's been at all successful?

Lastly, each country (yes, even Canada) are hardly shining examples of fantastic human rights records.

Again, I'm far, far more fearful of McDonald's, yes McDonald's, then I ever will be of china or Russia. But that's just me.
i'm not going to pretend like I know my history all that well. I'd like to think I know a bit more than the average joe, but not by much so I could be very well in the wrong here.

I don't know why someone minused your post, but it wasn't me.

multinational corporations haven't been around for all that long. civilizations have. What we know is that there has been a rise, and a fall, to each empire that's ever existed, save for the ones in power today.

so while we don't really know how multinational corporations will play out, I think it will be possible to govern them. There are laws which they must abide by. We have organizations set simply to enforce said laws. It's hard for me to imagine a world where we completely lose control of said corporations.

I believe that the issue of climate change just isn't marketed heavily enough to make enough of a difference for the government to step in, in say canada or the states.

We have already countries that have stepped in, such as the scandinavian countries. The example is there to follow. I believe it's just a matter of awareness. If the government really did want to, it'd be possible to step in and enforce some real climate change initiatives.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #11540 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,951
Representing:
Default

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter...RIP
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random You Tubes Raptorman Entertainment Lounge 3560 05-15-2015 11:00 PM
Random Raptor Thoughts dfunkie1 Toronto Raptors 46 11-10-2012 04:25 PM
What random jerseys do you own? DuCa00795 Entertainment Lounge 28 12-27-2009 08:47 PM
Random thought Belsius Toronto Raptors 17 03-07-2009 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24