Random Thought Thread. - Page 530
Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #10581 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,854
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
are there any police officers here or you know anyone? Im interested. Should I drop out of college and be a constable or finish my degree first? My program is computer science, i dont like it
I'm planning on being a police officer, or joining CSIS as well. I would recommend you get your degree, how many years are you done? You need some sort of education now, and my buddy told me when he went for the recruitment thing, TO police said that they dont have the funds to hire as many officers as they would like. It has become extremely hard to get a job with them now.
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #10582 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,370
Representing:
Default

^1st year. probably best for me to stick through it. it's just frustrating that im studying things unrelated to what I want to do with my life and barely getting by
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #10583 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
^1st year. probably best for me to stick through it. it's just frustrating that im studying things unrelated to what I want to do with my life and barely getting by
for what it's worth, most of what i got out of university had more to do with the process than the content. learning how to research, how to focus, how to think in the abstract, how to learn, how to adapt. it is important to be interested in the content too, of course, and most helpful if you are in the field you want continue in, but even if that doesn't work out you will still get a great education out of it. i don't really work in the same field that i studied, although there has been a bit of crossover, but i use the skills every day, without question.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #10584 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

go work as a security guard that will build your resume when aplying to be police officer. Also things like military, paramedic firefighter experiance is also very relavant. Although to become a firefighter is probobly even harder
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #10585 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Almost ready to get the pin out of my finger. Physio is happy with progress so far - lost very little range of motion - so only need to focus on one finger. Thank heavens.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #10586 (permalink)
is in the cut

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,462
Representing:
Default

switch your major theanswer, trust me
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #10587 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,083
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
for what it's worth, most of what i got out of university had more to do with the process than the content. learning how to research, how to focus, how to think in the abstract, how to learn, how to adapt. it is important to be interested in the content too, of course, and most helpful if you are in the field you want continue in, but even if that doesn't work out you will still get a great education out of it. i don't really work in the same field that i studied, although there has been a bit of crossover, but i use the skills every day, without question.
Highly agree. I learned how to deal with pressure and deadlines. Also, it improved my organization skills somewhat. I only use about 5% of what I learned in school in my current job.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #10588 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Thinking of transferring universities. Any tips from anyone who's done it/knows someone who has??
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #10589 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,083
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Thinking of transferring universities. Any tips from anyone who's done it/knows someone who has??
Harvard, Yale, Princeton....?
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #10590 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,370
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
switch your major theanswer, trust me
yeah im gonna swtich fro mspecialist to a double major, if I somehow pass. what major is related to detective work?
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #10591 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
yeah im gonna swtich fro mspecialist to a double major, if I somehow pass. what major is related to detective work?
criminology
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #10592 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
Harvard, Yale, Princeton....?
mcgill, ottawa, western
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #10593 (permalink)
is in the cut

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,462
Representing:
Default

Just bought a 2+ grand surround system in the box, unopened for 2 hundred out of some guys Infinity truck. Sweet fucking deal.
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #10594 (permalink)
is in the cut

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,462
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
yeah im gonna swtich fro mspecialist to a double major, if I somehow pass. what major is related to detective work?
Criminology -- that's my major.
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #10595 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
Just bought a 2+ grand surround system in the box, unopened for 2 hundred out of some guys Infinity truck. Sweet fucking deal.
White van speaker scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Friend fell for that once - bought a "Di Vinci"

It was funny to everybody else, but it took him a few years to see the humour in it.

Hopefully your encounter was good luck instead of a scam, and even if you did get scammed, they should still work a little bit and in the end - it's only $200.

Last edited by bjjs; 11-15-2013 at 04:32 PM.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #10596 (permalink)
is in the cut

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,462
Representing:
Default

I got the dudes plate number, picture of his drivers license, everything lol...im very skeptical with this shit
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #10597 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,093
Representing:
Default

If you post info about it, we might be able to prove that it was a scam. This is a very long-running thing in the audio world.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #10598 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,093
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Thinking of transferring universities. Any tips from anyone who's done it/knows someone who has??
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're much beyond the first year, it is sometimes quite difficult to transfer without losing credit hours, which you typically don't find out until after you've paid application and transfer fees.

Also, if you're planning on going on to law school or graduate school, your work there will determine your future far more than the name of your undergraduate or pre-law school.

On the other hand, if you're going to a crap school in a crap city, moving to a big city with better intellectual outlets can be a big breath of fresh air.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #10599 (permalink)
is in the cut

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,462
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
If you post info about it, we might be able to prove that it was a scam. This is a very long-running thing in the audio world.
Im about to sell it -- I never intended on using it personally. I'm gonna bring this thing to future shop and see if it's real or not. If it's not I will pursue this shit because I dont wanna re-sale a scam. I got the license plate hopefully its not a fake plate
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #10600 (permalink)
representing the Big Land

basketball is life
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 1,404
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're much beyond the first year, it is sometimes quite difficult to transfer without losing credit hours, which you typically don't find out until after you've paid application and transfer fees.

Also, if you're planning on going on to law school or graduate school, your work there will determine your future far more than the name of your undergraduate or pre-law school.

On the other hand, if you're going to a crap school in a crap city, moving to a big city with better intellectual outlets can be a big breath of fresh air.
He goes to Ryerson in Toronto, nothing wrong with that school lol.

pzabby why the sudden urge to transfer universities?
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random You Tubes Raptorman Entertainment Lounge 3560 05-15-2015 11:00 PM
Random Raptor Thoughts dfunkie1 Toronto Raptors 46 11-10-2012 04:25 PM
What random jerseys do you own? DuCa00795 Entertainment Lounge 28 12-27-2009 08:47 PM
Random thought Belsius Toronto Raptors 17 03-07-2009 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24