personal stories insight - Page 2
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,370
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
Lol I actually don't mind.

Private message it just in case your teacher searches it up and leads him/her to this site.
lol do teachers actually copy and paste into google? damn i better watch myself more closely
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

6 Man Like Lou Will
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,629
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
lol do teachers actually copy and paste into google? damn i better watch myself more closely
Yeah, some do. They also have a program that automatically scans and look for exact or similar wording on the Internet.
js12 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdependent View Post
yup i just did, hes part of the reason why i hate taking english classes
Just curious, what did you find boring?

Please tell me it wasn't just the language.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,330
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Just curious, what did you find boring?

Please tell me it wasn't just the language.
I think that can be part of the issue for people and I think you need to be sympathetic to that.

A lot of people can't understand what is going on by reading the play. So the only understanding they have is when it is explained to them or they read it in coles notes.

How can you enjoy something when the story can't actually take you on the ride because you don't understand it.

For me, I would liken it to me trying to read a book in French. I understand french to some degree but I would certainly get lost if I tried to read a book and wouldn't pick up ANY of the subtleties within.

How exciting can something be if you have to look up what each paragraph means?

These are high school kids that, for the most part, have limited knowledge of modern english. I don't think it's fair to expect them to fully grasp and understand Shakespear plays just by reading them when they can't pick up things in their everyday readings. Sure you could blame the educational system for their english background deficiencies)

I don't think anyone enjoys reading if they aren't immersed in the topic/story.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renihan_00 View Post
I think that can be part of the issue for people and I think you need to be sympathetic to that.

A lot of people can't understand what is going on by reading the play. So the only understanding they have is when it is explained to them or they read it in coles notes.

How can you enjoy something when the story can't actually take you on the ride because you don't understand it.

For me, I would liken it to me trying to read a book in French. I understand french to some degree but I would certainly get lost if I tried to read a book and wouldn't pick up ANY of the subtleties within.

How exciting can something be if you have to look up what each paragraph means?

These are high school kids that, for the most part, have limited knowledge of modern english. I don't think it's fair to expect them to fully grasp and understand Shakespear plays just by reading them when they can't pick up things in their everyday readings. Sure you could blame the educational system for their english background deficiencies)

I don't think anyone enjoys reading if they aren't immersed in the topic/story.
While much of what you say is true (i.e. High School kids), I've found by and large that it isn't even given a chance in the first place BECAUSE of the language and because it takes place 100s of years ago.

And when something isn't given simply a chance that I have problems with.

For the most part, I actually place a lot of blame on the educator here as the language is accessible and much of what Shakespeare covers is pretty deep. The psychological issues that he explores alone are well worth looking into. There's an interesting NY Times piece on metaphors and how our brain examines them and applies it to every day relationships (i.e. washing hands to feel morally clean. A direct reference to MacBeth).

I'd argue for the most part, what you see in Shakespeare in terms of language is English in its phonetic form. Reading it out loud (something I've found many kids to be shy to do for various of reasons, not being good readers, embarrassed to etc.) can really help. When you come across a place or something you don't know, look it up or see a dictionary.

And I've learned that kids will look up anything, ANYTHING, when it comes to something that interests them. The problem is that the educator NEEDS to do a good job in terms of explaining why Shakespeare is so key and why he's likely a top 10 most influential person in history.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,554
Representing:
Default

I had teachers who tried to make his ramblings interesting but honestly, I never liked Bill Shakespeare. And that Tess of the Damn d'Urbervilles. Zzzzzz...

I think it's a shame that - say a student, for whatever reason and named Aaron - doesn't like something, whether it be an author or an artist, but it's shoved down his throat. I mean, we studied Shakespeare every year. Same with Sandro Botticelli who makes me want to vomit. I don't know if it's something about that era, or what.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

Just because it is influential and relevant doesnt exclude it from being boring.

The competition nowadays isn't quite what it was back in WS's time. Read MacBeth..or GTA4..hmmm. Study Romeo and Juliet, or watch Boardwalk Empire...Sorry Shakespear, you lose, what have you done for me lately?
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Sorry Shakespear, you lose, what have you done for me lately?
educate rather than just entertain.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24