Michael Jackson doctor found guilty of manslaughter

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Entertainment Lounge

View Poll Results: Is the doctor...
Guilty 3 100.00%
Not guilty (or does not deserved to be punished) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,532
Representing:
Default Michael Jackson doctor found guilty of manslaughter

Quote:
Michael Jackson's personal doctor was found guilty on Monday of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death following a six-week trial that captivated Jackson fans around the world.

Dr. Conrad Murray, 58, was led away in handcuffs after the Los Angeles jury reached a unanimous verdict. The doctor, who could face up to four years in prison, will be sentenced on November 29.

Dozens of fans outside the courtroom erupted in cheers and some burst into tears.

Murray had pleaded not guilty to giving the "Thriller" singer a fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic propofol -- normally used in surgery -- that was ruled the main cause of the pop star's June 25, 2009 death.

But prosecutors argued Murray was grossly negligent in administering the propofol to help Jackson sleep. Defense attorneys claimed Jackson delivered the fatal dose to himself.

The judge ordered Murray, who has been free on bail for two years, held in custody until his sentencing at the end of the month.

Murray did not testify at the Los Angeles trial and looked impassive as the guilty verdict was pronounced to a small cry from his side of the packed courtroom.

Jackson's mother Katherine and the singer's sister Rebbie cried silently as the guilty verdict was read. His siblings La Toya, Jermaine and Randy, and his father Joe, were also on hand.

Jackson was found lifeless at his Los Angeles mansion on June 25, 2009, age 50, about three weeks before he was scheduled to begin a series of concerts in London aimed at returning the pop star to the limelight after the humiliation of his 2005 trial and acquittal on child molestation.

Murray admitted giving Jackson a small dose of propofol to help him sleep. But his lawyers argued at the trial that the singer was dependent on the drug and that Jackson likely gave himself a extra, fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic, as well as swallowing a handful of sedatives, without Murray's knowledge.
Michael Jackson's doctor guilty of manslaughter | Reuters

Agree with the verdict?
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,947
Representing:
Default

Yes i agree. As a doctor, he was not supposed to be admistering that outside of a hospital, therefore he is responsible, as much as i think MJ was a complete junkie.

Last edited by jeffb; 11-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,532
Representing:
Default

They should give the doctor a bit of leniency. He obviously did not mean to kill MJ. Punishing him to 4 yrs in prison isn't going to bring him back alive. Imo, take away his doctoral license and give him less than a year in prison.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
They should give the doctor a bit of leniency. He obviously did not mean to kill MJ. Punishing him to 4 yrs in prison isn't going to bring him back alive. Imo, take away his doctoral license and give him less than a year in prison.
Then he would be out now. If you consider time served. This case has been at least a year in now.

MIchael Jackson was not an educated person, his childhood was stolen from him, he was not schooled. How could you expect such a person to be responsible for medicating himself.
The doctor should be ashamed of himself for allowing his patient to dictate, and self prescribe.

4 years is not enough.

The breach of trust is equal to your coach molesting you as a child.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b55bgc View Post
Then he would be out now. If you consider time served. This case has been at least a year in now.

MIchael Jackson was not an educated person, his childhood was stolen from him, he was not schooled. How could you expect such a person to be responsible for medicating himself.
The doctor should be ashamed of himself for allowing his patient to dictate, and self prescribe.

4 years is not enough.

The breach of trust is equal to your coach molesting you as a child.
You make it sound like Jackson was an idiot, which i would disagree with. I'm sure Michael Jackson was an intelligent man. I don't it's a good idea for anyone to be using powerful anesthetic as a sleeping aid and yes the doctor is guilty of letting his patient get away with that. I should say that I don't really know the details of what went down, i'm just going on what i read in the article jeff posted.

Equating Jackson's lack of conventional education with his drug dependance is a connection i would not make. Drug dependance can happen to anyone. even the most educated of people.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
You make it sound like Jackson was an idiot, which i would disagree with. I'm sure Michael Jackson was an intelligent man. I don't it's a good idea for anyone to be using powerful anesthetic as a sleeping aid and yes the doctor is guilty of letting his patient get away with that. I should say that I don't really know the details of what went down, i'm just going on what i read in the article jeff posted.

Equating Jackson's lack of conventional education with his drug dependance is a connection i would not make. Drug dependance can happen to anyone. even the most educated of people.
I guess i was assuming he never had much of an education growing up.
Intelligent or not, with the state of mind Jackson was in, he wasnt in any condition to be making choices like that.

I doubt he knew the medical ramifications of using drug cocktails, only that it gave him a good nights sleep.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Don't forget too that Michael was paying Conrad Murray $150,000 a month. That's how much it most likely took to find a doctor willing to go along with the whole debacle. It also indicates that Michael knew full well that what he was doing was dangerous. I mean, how many doctors said no?
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24