Manual vs Automatic transmission
Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Question Manual vs Automatic transmission

I'm looking to get a new car next summer because my lease will be coming to an end. Now, i've always driven an automatic transmition but i'm looking to learn how to drive a Manual/Standard (have never driven one) and i was wondering, who here drives a standard vehicle and how hard is it to learn? Everyone keeps telling me that i could learn in an hour and it's no big deal. My current car has triptronic which isn't the same.

Any advise?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,237
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

If you are already an experienced driver, you will learn in 30 mins.

When I was 19, I taught my 18 y/o GF how to drive in under an hour.
Raptorman is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Manual is pretty easy.

However, If you live in Toronto or a city like that I would stick with an automatic.

Nothing gets the leg burning quite like constant clutching for an hour or two in traffic.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Manual. You have better control over the car and just alot more satisfying to drive.

Oh and never lease unless it's a business expense.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Manual. You have better control over the car and just alot more satisfying to drive.

Oh and never lease unless it's a business expense.
It is a business expense, but i won't lease anymore. Even though i bought extra KMs at the begining i go over and have to pay at the end. I want to buy and own it outright in 4-5 yrs and then not have anymore payments.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Yeah, leasing simply wastes money and the continuous concern of knowing that you don't truly own the car therefore every little knick in the car is your responsibility is annoying to say the least.

I take it you're looking at the Mazda 3? If so, go for the Sport/Hatchback model as it handles better in a standard. If you're going for the sedan get an automatic (better resale value).
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Yeah, leasing simply wastes money and the continuous concern of knowing that you don't truly own the car therefore every little knick in the car is your responsibility is annoying to say the least.

I take it you're looking at the Mazda 3? If so, go for the Sport/Hatchback model as it handles better in a standard. If you're going for the sedan get an automatic (better resale value).

Yeah i've tested the new Mazda 3. Great car - best looking interior in it's class by far, i've had mine for almost 4yrs now and i haven't had one problem yet. **knock on wood*

The new one is a little more pricy @ 28,000$, but i save 1200$ if it's a Manual.

Last edited by jeffb; 08-25-2009 at 04:21 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
CBA
Ashes to Ashes

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 475
Representing:
Default

I drove automatic all my life until 3 years ago. A friend of my brothers taught me how to drive manual in a school parking lot in just over an hour. I doubt I will go back.
CBA is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Another car to test drive on manual is the VW Rabbit. It has such a smooth clutch and so much power in that little car. It'd be valuable to see the difference between the transmissions alone. It's actually a big reason why didn't buy the Mazda 3 when I got my car. Didn't like the manual on it too much (09 Models).
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Another car to test drive on manual is the VW Rabbit. It has such a smooth clutch and so much power in that little car. It'd be valuable to see the difference between the transmissions alone. It's actually a big reason why didn't buy the Mazda 3 when I got my car. Didn't like the manual on it too much (09 Models).
A friend of mine has the Honda Civic (09) and says the Maual is amazing. So you own a VW Rabbit?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,237
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default



2002 Acura RSX Type S

My car...6 speed manual trans. Working those gears constantly. Awesomeness.
Raptorman is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

jeff, Driving a stick is awesome. you'll like it once you get the hang of it... that being said, don't listen to these guys that say they learned in under an hour. To really get a good feel for it when you've never driven one before will take you a while. Sure you can learn the theory and the timing pretty quick, but putting it into practice and not randomly stalling when you're on a hill for example will take some time. I'd say after driving the car for a week or so, you'll be fine. Once it gets second nature, you will love it and won't want to go back to automatic.

I gave up my standard car for an automatic because of my wife (we don't want to own two cars) and i miss it. I have a feeling the next car we buy, i'll be calling the shots and making her learn the manual transmition.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,660
Representing:
Default

You can learn how to drive a manual in less then an hour. However, it will take you a couple of months to master it. Right now I drive a 5 speed manual and it is fun as hell. Also, you get better fuel economy with manual.

You should test out the Subaru Impreza if you want to get manual. As of now I drive a 04 Impreza wrx and the gear transitions on it are smooth.

Last edited by Nites; 08-25-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
You can learn how to drive a manual in less then an hour. However, it will take you a couple of months to master it. Right now I drive a 5 speed manual and it is fun as hell. Also, you get better fuel economy with manual.

You should test out the Subaru Impreza if you want to get manual. As of now I drive a 04 Impreza wrx and the gear transitions on it are smooth.

I went to the car show this year and i liked the impreza, nice car. I plan on testing a Honda Accord (2 door), Impreza, Lancer. I've already tested the 2010 Mazda 3 and i love it, 80% sure i'm sticking with the Zoom Zoom...but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

manual for racing
automatic for the rest
at least that's what its like for me
I hate shifting gears in the city, stop and go all the time
I think automatics get better gas mileage
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,878
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
I think automatics get better gas mileage
According to everyone i've talked to, including a few mechanics, that's not true.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
CBA
Ashes to Ashes

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 475
Representing:
Default

"You can learn how to drive a manual in less then an hour. However, it will take you a couple of months to master it."

agreed
CBA is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,660
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I went to the car show this year and i liked the impreza, nice car. I plan on testing a Honda Accord (2 door), Impreza, Lancer. I've already tested the 2010 Mazda 3 and i love it, 80% sure i'm sticking with the Zoom Zoom...but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
The lancer is a sick car. It performs better then the Subaru but there is something that I like about Subaru's that put me over the Lancer.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

I stay away from Subaru's since I drove a '95 Legacy that had no foot space, hard to drive with both feet
problem might be fixed though
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
According to everyone i've talked to, including a few mechanics, that's not true.
shifting correctly is the key
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24