how to deal with bad days w/o alcohol and such - Page 3
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #41 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Exactly.

Disappointment happens. Learn from it.

I've always said how people handle disappointment tells a lot about their character and how they handle success as well.
I read this thread earlier today while on the toilet. When I noticed he mentioned university again, I thought "Claudius will respond soon"...."this thread is starting to feel like it might be a backdoor way for pzabby to talk about university again"
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
I read this thread earlier today while on the toilet. When I noticed he mentioned university again, I thought "Claudius will respond soon"...."this thread is starting to feel like it might be a backdoor way for pzabby to talk about university again"


In all seriousness though i had no.intent of the kind
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post


In all seriousness though i had no.intent of the kind
Well now you've taken a lot of people's time. We could have spent that time surfing the net for porn or funny GIFS.

So, now, in my opinion, you're obligated to answer a few questions, so we can just get this uni stuff over with so there are no more threads about this.

Why do you THINK you HAVE to go to one school? You think it, but I'm almost certain you don't HAVE to.

After that, I will tell you why I think you need to punch your dad and/or mom in the face.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
I read this thread earlier today while on the toilet. When I noticed he mentioned university again, I thought "Claudius will respond soon"...."this thread is starting to feel like it might be a backdoor way for pzabby to talk about university again"
hahaha....am I that predictable? that big of a jerk? I think the only reason I respond is because I have experience, but also because I've never understood certain human characteristics.

I like to compare situations to my personal life. For example. I never got everything I wanted as a kid. I'll never forget not having a Christmas when I was 11-12. I remember seeing my mom come home and my dad go to work and then work every Saturday and Sunday (while working all week long during the night shift). I remember having a 'real' job when I was 14, having to go to Croatian school every Saturday until I was 13. I remember being teased in high school and being bullied in grade 8. I saved every penny I earned to go to university and I never went away to Europe (or any vacation for that matter) until I was 26 and it was my honeymoon. I could go on, but you get the picture.

However, I remember not crying because I 'didn't get a Christmas'. I remember worrying, wondering if my parents had enough money to feed us. I remember going to the library or math centre during lunch, learning on my own, because well, that's where it didn't matter if I sat and ate lunch by myself because I was trying to 'get better'. And it didn't matter that all my friends in university were talking about how awesome this place was or how you 'need' to go there, because I was going to graduate with no debt.

Any 'difficulty' thrown my way, I dealt with it. Because of this, I volunteer with CAS. I give my time as a soccer coach (and I don't have kids) and coach basketball as well. I make sure I'm active in my community. It makes you feel good and it makes you feel good that you don't see that kid bullied. You confront 'real' problems, where JUST getting a CHANCE is all they want. And once they get that chance, you know they can't be stopped. I knew a girl who went to Lakehead, was disappointed, wrote the UFE (some people will know what that is) and received the top score. Yeah, a Lakehead grad did that. Not someone from McGill, not U of T, or York or whatever. Lakehead. Like I said, get that chance and you can't be stopped.

So, when I see self - pity (because let's be honest, that's what it is), it annoys me. It's like kids living in a bubble without realizing how fucking lucky you are to even be in a POSITION TO SUCCEED. Not everyone gets that shot. The playing field isn't level. But because of someone's spoiled (and let's be honest, that's why the person feels this way, they didn't get what they want) nature, they react negatively. Fuck, go to 'the real world' and see what it's like.

It isn't easy.

And oh yeah, me? Well, my grade 8 school in April ran out of paper and we were asked to purchase our own lined paper for the rest of the year. I went to a decent high school, went to Mac, finished with a double major, wrote my LSATs (did quite well) but decided not to go, did my MA, declined doing a PhD, graduated during the recession, got a job, lost my job last year, worked 3 jobs to pay the bills and now finally I have a job that's somewhat high profile. I didn't feel sorry for myself once. I just put my head down and worked harder. I always said, no one will every out work me. Ever. And yeah, it's worked for me so far.

So, pzabby, just work harder. It ain't all that bad. When you start feeling bad for yourself, you never know when someone like me, will come by and pass you because you didn't want the opportunities that were still available to you. Because guess what? For someone like me, those are worth gold. That's a lottery ticket for me. It isn't a consolation prize. It's THE prize.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
hahaha....am I that predictable? that big of a jerk? I think the only reason I respond is because I have experience, but also because I've never understood certain human characteristics.

I like to compare situations to my personal life. For example. I never got everything I wanted as a kid. I'll never forget not having a Christmas when I was 11-12. I remember seeing my mom come home and my dad go to work and then work every Saturday and Sunday (while working all week long during the night shift). I remember having a 'real' job when I was 14, having to go to Croatian school every Saturday until I was 13. I remember being teased in high school and being bullied in grade 8. I saved every penny I earned to go to university and I never went away to Europe (or any vacation for that matter) until I was 26 and it was my honeymoon. I could go on, but you get the picture.

However, I remember not crying because I 'didn't get a Christmas'. I remember worrying, wondering if my parents had enough money to feed us. I remember going to the library or math centre during lunch, learning on my own, because well, that's where it didn't matter if I sat and ate lunch by myself because I was trying to 'get better'. And it didn't matter that all my friends in university were talking about how awesome this place was or how you 'need' to go there, because I was going to graduate with no debt.

Any 'difficulty' thrown my way, I dealt with it. Because of this, I volunteer with CAS. I give my time as a soccer coach (and I don't have kids) and coach basketball as well. I make sure I'm active in my community. It makes you feel good and it makes you feel good that you don't see that kid bullied. You confront 'real' problems, where JUST getting a CHANCE is all they want. And once they get that chance, you know they can't be stopped. I knew a girl who went to Lakehead, was disappointed, wrote the UFE (some people will know what that is) and received the top score. Yeah, a Lakehead grad did that. Not someone from McGill, not U of T, or York or whatever. Lakehead. Like I said, get that chance and you can't be stopped.

So, when I see self - pity (because let's be honest, that's what it is), it annoys me. It's like kids living in a bubble without realizing how fucking lucky you are to even be in a POSITION TO SUCCEED. Not everyone gets that shot. The playing field isn't level. But because of someone's spoiled (and let's be honest, that's why the person feels this way, they didn't get what they want) nature, they react negatively. Fuck, go to 'the real world' and see what it's like.

It isn't easy.

And oh yeah, me? Well, my grade 8 school in April ran out of paper and we were asked to purchase our own lined paper for the rest of the year. I went to a decent high school, went to Mac, finished with a double major, wrote my LSATs (did quite well) but decided not to go, did my MA, declined doing a PhD, graduated during the recession, got a job, lost my job last year, worked 3 jobs to pay the bills and now finally I have a job that's somewhat high profile. I didn't feel sorry for myself once. I just put my head down and worked harder. I always said, no one will every out work me. Ever. And yeah, it's worked for me so far.

So, pzabby, just work harder. It ain't all that bad. When you start feeling bad for yourself, you never know when someone like me, will come by and pass you because you didn't want the opportunities that were still available to you. Because guess what? For someone like me, those are worth gold. That's a lottery ticket for me. It isn't a consolation prize. It's THE prize.
Well spoken, motivating, just beautiful. this post did it for me, simply because it reminded me. Ive been through similar things to you back in Iran and id just forgotten about it, well not so much, but it started mattering less. And now, after reading this, well let's just say i sure as hell could've had a worse week, and have.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Well now you've taken a lot of people's time. We could have spent that time surfing the net for porn or funny GIFS.

So, now, in my opinion, you're obligated to answer a few questions, so we can just get this uni stuff over with so there are no more threads about this.

Why do you THINK you HAVE to go to one school? You think it, but I'm almost certain you don't HAVE to.

After that, I will tell you why I think you need to punch your dad and/or mom in the face.
The reason i have to go is because any person with the slightest ethics would do the same thing. My Dad works in Bruce powerplant and for those who don't know it's a three and a half hour drive away. suffice to say, he's not in toronto during the weeks. My older brother, also an engineer, just finished his masters at mcmaster, is working with a prof in mcgill and suffice to say he isn't around all that much either. That leaves my mom and I.

I have aspirations of being a lawyer one day, and a pretty damn successful one at that. My ultimate goal is to be a U of T law school graduate, but we all know it is by far the best law school in Canada, and one of the best in the world. So schools where high GPA's are a rarity, of course i am avoiding. Now I could go to a uni outside of Toronto, but where would that leave my mother? Alone during the weeks, working during the day, and coming home to an empty house. We're first generation immigrants so we have no family of any sort here either so my mom would be alone, completely, during the week. I can't do that to her, so that leaves me with one option, being Ryerson.

Schulich and rottman i would have a low chance of getting into U of T law, so there you have it. my dilemma, and please don't punch my mother over this as she says this shouldn't stop me from leaving toronto, its all my doing.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,023
Representing:
Default

Claudius your parents are a prototypical immigrant European family. Something Im not surprised your proud of. Both my parents are from present day Croatia and I had simliar upbringings. First job at 14, couldn't play road hockey after school unless my homework was done and checked, hardly seen my dad because he was working extra at the store etc. etc. Makes you the man you are today. Proud to say I've had similar upbringings.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
hahaha....am I that predictable?

Nah, not really. I just remembered us being on the same page the last two times he started a thread for attention, although your response in the older thread might have been a bit harsher than mine. So, when I started to get a feeling he was fishing for a conversation about uni, I figured you'd probably feel the same way and comment.


Quote:
that big of a jerk? .
Well, I was thinking something similar. So, yeah, if you're on the same page as me, that probably means you're a jerk.


Not responding to the rest because my personal life is nobody's beezwacks. Might send you a PM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
finding your post helpful

Senior Member
 
LightsOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,443
Representing:
Default

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Hamilton confirms reports of drinking alcohol - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

you don't want to end up like this
LightsOut is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Nah, not really. I just remembered us being on the same page the last two times he started a thread for attention, although your response in the older thread might have been a bit harsher than mine. So, when I started to get a feeling he was fishing for a conversation about uni, I figured you'd probably feel the same way and comment.




Well, I was thinking something similar. So, yeah, if you're on the same page as me, that probably means you're a jerk.


Not responding to the rest because my personal life is nobody's beezwacks. Might send you a PM.
fuck off dude, seriously
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #51 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
fuck off dude, seriously
Get some perspective on life. Seriously.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #52 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Get some perspective on life. Seriously.
no need. my perspectives fine thanks very much. when something pisses you off, you go fix it. If you're happy go lucky all the time, guess what, you'll never get ahead in life cause you'll always be thinking, my lifes already great, why give a fuck.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #53 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
If you're happy go lucky all the time, guess what, you'll never get ahead in life cause you'll always be thinking, my lifes already great, why give a fuck.
What? No.

Perspective does NOT = be happy go lucky all the time

But being happy ain't a bad thing.

You missed the point.

Maybe you're too busy watching the Nuggets game. If not, you should be. Dope game.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #54 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Let's make this more productive. Some stuff to think about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
The reason i have to go is because any person with the slightest ethics would do the same thing.
The thing is, people leave their moms behind to go to school all the time. Even kids from first immigrant familes in situations like yours. So, by implication, you're suggesting these people don't have the "slightest ethics". Really? It's just silly. It's also insulting. If your mom was really sick and needed you to administer some kind of care, it might be different. But you said she goes to work.

Quote:
I have aspirations of being a lawyer one day, and a pretty damn successful one at that.
Why?

Why does that appeal to you?

It's obviously not bad to have some goal(s), but to stress this much over it, you should have a good understanding of why you're pursuing a particular path. Does the stress outweigh the payoff?


Quote:
My ultimate goal is to be a U of T law school graduate
Why?

More specifically, why plan everything around going to that one school, when you can't even be sure what your mindset will be in 4-5 years.

You may have a very good answer for this, but what is it? At the very least, answering this question should provide clarity as to what decisions you need to make.

Also, would you still go to law school if you didn't get into U of T? This is an important question to think about, because it says a lot about your real motivation. Consider it.

Quote:
but we all know it is by far the best law school in Canada
It's the best school. But "by far" is an overstatement.

Quote:
So schools where high GPA's are a rarity, of course i am avoiding.
I see an inconsistency here. You say you want to become a "pretty damn successful" lawyer. You say you want to go to U of T and, presumably, do well while attending U of T (at least making the curve). How the fuck do you expect to do that, if you don't even believe that you can get a high GPA in a tough undergrad program?

If you don't believe you can do well in undergrad, which is way easier than law school, then how do you expect to make the curve at U of T law?

You're not the first to say this. I just don't know if you people have thought through what it is you're saying:

"I'm not confident I can get a 3.7+ in tough undergrad program, but I'm sure that, once in law school, I'll be able to compete against the people who did get those grades in undegrad!"

If you can't outperform people in undergrad, what will be different in law school?

I'm not trying to scare you. Quite the contrary. I'm saying consider relaxing and just picking a school that you think will offer a good overall experience. Don't pick a school that you think will be an "easy 4.0".

Quote:
Now I could go to a uni outside of Toronto, but where would that leave my mother? Alone during the weeks, working during the day, and coming home to an empty house. We're first generation immigrants so we have no family of any sort here either so my mom would be alone, completely, during the week. I can't do that to her, so that leaves me with one option, being Ryerson.
So?

Also, you said you were avoiding schools where a high GPA is a "rarity"?

Which is it? Be honest with yourself.


Quote:
Schulich and rottman i would have a low chance of getting into U of T law, so there you have it. my dilemma, and

please don't punch my mother over this as she says this shouldn't stop me from leaving toronto, its all my doing.
She's right. Don't use her as an excuse.

If you want to stay in Toronto and live with your mom, there is not necessarily anything wrong with that. If you want that, deep down, that's not shameful. But don't make it sound like you're cornered. Be honest with yourself, if that the case (emphasis on "if" because I can't read your mind).

Also, when you go all "boo-hoo" because you might go to Ryerson, you're really the one who needs to "fuck-off". Hey, guess what, maybe some people on this board went to Ryerson? Do you think they'd appreciate that?

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 02-04-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #55 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,150
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
If you're happy go lucky all the time, guess what, you'll never get ahead in life
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
is full of beans

Senior Member
 
Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 4,254
Representing:
Default

What?

Let's have this thread again when you've finished your bachelors degree four years from now. Then you can come to the University of Victoria law school baby! #5 in Canada overall, #1 in certain fields of law. Learn to surf in the winter! Your mom will be relieved to get you out of the house by then.

Last edited by Beans; 02-04-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: became incensed by fuddy-duddyism, then regretted it
Beans is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,385
Representing:
Default

grab a pole and some snacks. Fishing is a terrific way to get out and relax.
Toby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Let's make this more productive. Some stuff to think about:



The thing is, people leave their moms behind to go to school all the time. Even kids from first immigrant familes in situations like yours. So, by implication, you're suggesting these people don't have the "slightest ethics". Really? It's just silly. It's also insulting. If your mom was really sick and needed you to administer some kind of care, it might be different. But you said she goes to work.

yes but in most situations like mine, the child leaves because it would be better for their future. Me leaving toronto wouldn't necessarily be a better choice for my future, nor worse. It would just be me not going to a place which by the looks of it i dislike greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Why?

Why does that appeal to you?

It's obviously not bad to have some goal(s), but to stress this much over it, you should have a good understanding of why you're pursuing a particular path. Does the stress outweigh the payoff?
Since i was a child my dream was to be a lawyer. Everywhere i went, everything i did, that's been my interest. My grandfather was a lawyer, and a pretty damn good one at that too. A people's lawyer, and though i never met him, i'm told i'm most similar to him by my family. So there's an added sentimental value to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Why?

More specifically, why plan everything around going to that one school, when you can't even be sure what your mindset will be in 4-5 years.

You may have a very good answer for this, but what is it? At the very least, answering this question should provide clarity as to what decisions you need to make.

U of T is the best and most available law school for myself to go to, so if I don't change my mindset in the next four-five years, which i don't plan on, i might as well aim for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Also, would you still go to law school if you didn't get into U of T? This is an important question to think about, because it says a lot about your real motivation. Consider it.
Yes i definitely would because i see U of T as one of the best options to get to where i want, but of course it isn't the only, and my dream of being a lawyer isn't based on getting to u of t law but rather i see it as a goal leading to the ultimate goal of being a lawyer.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
I see an inconsistency here. You say you want to become a "pretty damn successful" lawyer. You say you want to go to U of T and, presumably, do well while attending U of T (at least making the curve). How the fuck do you expect to do that, if you don't even believe that you can get a high GPA in a tough undergrad program?

If you don't believe you can do well in undergrad, which is way easier than law school, then how do you expect to make the curve at U of T law?

You're not the first to say this. I just don't know if you people have thought through what it is you're saying:

"I'm not confident I can get a 3.7+ in tough undergrad program, but I'm sure that, once in law school, I'll be able to compete against the people who did get those grades in undegrad!"

If you can't outperform people in undergrad, what will be different in law school?

I'm not trying to scare you. Quite the contrary. I'm saying consider relaxing and just picking a school that you think will offer a good overall experience. Don't pick a school that you think will be an "easy 4.0".
there is no such thing as an easy 4.0, its university, not middle school. But the thing is going to a tougher school, like say u of t for my undergrad, won't offer me an advantage in the law school by any means. And considering the fact that my cumulitive average is 50% of the admission decision, and the fact that most u of t law school applicants have a 3.8 cumilitve, and aren't graduates of u of t undergrad, why wouldn't I aim to make it more possible to bring a higher GPA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
So?

Also, you said you were avoiding schools where a high GPA is a "rarity"?

Which is it? Be honest with yourself.
it's both, in that sense i'm blessed that there are 3 unis in toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
She's right. Don't use her as an excuse.

If you want to stay in Toronto and live with your mom, there is not necessarily anything wrong with that. If you want that, deep down, that's not shameful. But don't make it sound like you're cornered. Be honest with yourself, if that the case (emphasis on "if" because I can't read your mind).

Also, when you go all "boo-hoo" because you might go to Ryerson, you're really the one who needs to "fuck-off". Hey, guess what, maybe some people on this board went to Ryerson? Do you think they'd appreciate that?
it shouldn't affect them because its up to personal opinion.


Once again, i didn't want to get into the details when making this thread, i just wanted to know a way to cool off, which most people offered.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,277
Representing:
Default

Quote:
U of T is the best and most available law school for myself to go to, so if I don't change my mindset in the next four-five years, which i don't plan on, i might as well aim for the best.
Just aiming for something, on the one hand, and getting stressed years in advance because you might not get in, on the other, are two different things.

Quote:
Yes i definitely would because i see U of T as one of the best options to get to where i want, but of course it isn't the only, and my dream of being a lawyer isn't based on getting to u of t law but rather i see it as a goal leading to the ultimate goal of being a lawyer.

Planning can be good if it's helping you. But if you're stressed to the point that you're starting threads about contemplating drinking and shit, you're planning/thinking about it too much.

Quote:
there is no such thing as an easy 4.0, its university, not middle school.
I'm glad you realize that.

Quote:
But the thing is going to a tougher school, like say u of t for my undergrad, won't offer me an advantage in the law school by any means.
If you U of T is tougher than your other options, perhaps U of T will better prepare you for law school. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should go there. I just don't accept the disconnect between your confidence in being a great lawyer and your lack of confidence in being able to succeed at U of T during undergrad.


Quote:
And considering the fact that my cumulitive average is 50% of the admission decision, and the fact that most u of t law school applicants have a 3.8 cumilitve, and aren't graduates of u of t undergrad, why wouldn't I aim to make it more possible to bring a higher GPA?
Most successful U of T applicants don't come from U of T undergrad because the faculty of law is getting apps from graduates of dozens of schools all over the country. It's in high demand amongst a certain segment of students, and those students can be found at many other schools, as well. It's not just because U of T undergrad is tough.

Look, I don't work for U of T, but don't get locked into worrying about a 50/50 even split. There are other factors in the admission cycle, and they keep it somewhat unknown. There is no concrete mathematical formula. And some schools actually do have that, but U of T is not currently one of them. Some students compensate for a GPA below 3.8 by doing better on the LSAT.


Quote:
it's both, in that sense i'm blessed that there are 3 unis in toronto.
Right. What happend to going to Ivy league schools? Europe? You didn't care about Mom or having a harder time getting a GPA then. All of a sudden there is a drastic turn around?

That's why I question your motivation for starting these various threads. The only common denominator is that it gets people talking about you.


Quote:
it shouldn't affect them because its up to personal opinion.
If you diss other people's schools, saying "it's just my opinion" is not necessarily going to make them stop thinking you're a total douche. If you're cool with pissing people off, that's one thing. But saying "it shouldn't affect them" just makes you look oblivious to how to avoid pissing people off. So, make sure you're cool with pissing some people off, because there are implications in a number of the things you say.

That's probably why Beans was suggesting you're being a "fuddy-duddy".

Quote:
Once again, i didn't want to get into the details when making this thread, i just wanted to know a way to cool off, which most people offered.
No wonder you didn't want to offer details. They're completely inconsistent with your previous threads about leaving the country, forget just the province, as well as complete lack of concern for GPAs in undergrad.

It makes little sense, in my opinion, unless you view it as a new attempt to generate discussion about you, after the other angles were shot down by Claudius last time.

Oh, and feel free to tell me to "fuck-off". Remember, it's just my opinion. You shouldn't be affected by it.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 02-05-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #60 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,734
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
im not in uni yet, and its not about marks, well it somewhat is but the biggest chink of it is about where to go, or rather where I HAVE to go, and it aint a place i want to call home for the next four years.
Thunder Bay isn't so bad when you're drinking beer.

Last edited by bjjs; 02-05-2012 at 12:47 AM.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24