high school basketball tryouts sophomore year - Page 2
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,304
Representing:
Default

i've never heard of parkdale lol. im in markham. im chinese so alot of college kids neglect to play with me idk why. ive played with some guys who play rep in the ontario basketball association though.
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Well honestly, if you Google "Steve Nash Basketball drills" there are tonnes there to learn.

My own personal advice;

1. Always, ALWAYS do everything properly with the proper technique.

2. Never cheat on your weak hand/ side. If you are right handed, do more reps with you left on every drill until you see no difference. Again, technique over speed. A slow technically sound player Kills a fast streetballer every time. Speed will come with repetition of proper technique.

3. There is no drill, ever, that will require your head and eyes to be 100% facing up. Never look down, ever and always get your head pointed to where you wanna go first, your body will follow (thats a personal one of mine, and it makes a huge difference if you wanna be considered to have "eyes in the back of your head"


As far as game play. You're a PG. Your job, is to be calm, and to be a leader. Your job is not to score unless the play calls for it. At your level, because you are new to it, and young and raw, think more Jose Calderon, and less Chris Paul. Forcing the issue will always turn out bad.

Lastly. Have fun man, it's just a game. And if you're smiling, as the PG and as the leader, you will calm your teammates down, and they will in turn have fun, an they will play better. They will calm down and make plays. Your team will always win in scrimmage. Winners make teams. Show offs watch from the stands.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
J-Bo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,371
Representing:
Default

Try not to stay nervous..you tend to screw up more so just try to stay calm but focus and play your game.
J-Bo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Well honestly, if you Google "Steve Nash Basketball drills" there are tonnes there to learn.

My own personal advice;

1. Always, ALWAYS do everything properly with the proper technique.

2. Never cheat on your weak hand/ side. If you are right handed, do more reps with you left on every drill until you see no difference. Again, technique over speed. A slow technically sound player Kills a fast streetballer every time. Speed will come with repetition of proper technique.

3. There is no drill, ever, that will require your head and eyes to be 100% facing up. Never look down, ever and always get your head pointed to where you wanna go first, your body will follow (thats a personal one of mine, and it makes a huge difference if you wanna be considered to have "eyes in the back of your head"


As far as game play. You're a PG. Your job, is to be calm, and to be a leader. Your job is not to score unless the play calls for it. At your level, because you are new to it, and young and raw, think more Jose Calderon, and less Chris Paul. Forcing the issue will always turn out bad.

Lastly. Have fun man, it's just a game. And if you're smiling, as the PG and as the leader, you will calm your teammates down, and they will in turn have fun, an they will play better. They will calm down and make plays. Your team will always win in scrimmage. Winners make teams. Show offs watch from the stands.
If you taught me all this while we were at Hoopdome, maybe the videos wouldn't be so embarrassing!
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,479
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Dude.

Where do you live?
If you're close to Parkdale I'd be happy to help you out. It would be fun.


Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Shhhh
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,304
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Well honestly, if you Google "Steve Nash Basketball drills" there are tonnes there to learn.

My own personal advice;

1. Always, ALWAYS do everything properly with the proper technique.

2. Never cheat on your weak hand/ side. If you are right handed, do more reps with you left on every drill until you see no difference. Again, technique over speed. A slow technically sound player Kills a fast streetballer every time. Speed will come with repetition of proper technique.

3. There is no drill, ever, that will require your head and eyes to be 100% facing up. Never look down, ever and always get your head pointed to where you wanna go first, your body will follow (thats a personal one of mine, and it makes a huge difference if you wanna be considered to have "eyes in the back of your head"


As far as game play. You're a PG. Your job, is to be calm, and to be a leader. Your job is not to score unless the play calls for it. At your level, because you are new to it, and young and raw, think more Jose Calderon, and less Chris Paul. Forcing the issue will always turn out bad.

Lastly. Have fun man, it's just a game. And if you're smiling, as the PG and as the leader, you will calm your teammates down, and they will in turn have fun, an they will play better. They will calm down and make plays. Your team will always win in scrimmage. Winners make teams. Show offs watch from the stands.
so i somewhat look at the ball?
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Representing:
Default

If you weren't on the team last year, and people don't expect you to make it this year, nobody is going to pass you the ball in tryouts.

Go for every offensive rebound, it's the only way you'll get the basketball.

Go for a lot of steals, play defense like a madman. Search out opportunities to guard the best players from the team last year, and foul them every time they have a chance to score, and when someone calls a foul, deny it and act like guarding those guys is as natural as eating breakfast.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,304
Representing:
Default

no one on the team knows me except one but he doesn't know i ball. played in a school 3on3 tourney and thought the team didn't seemed like ballers, but more like oversized chinese kids who could run and i thought i did well guarding them. i shut them down but was barely an offensive asset as my team mates never passed to me. maybe because the school is primarily chinese the expectations are lower. my friend who's around my height was on the team and he was very athletic but couldnt ball.
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
so i somewhat look at the ball?
It was a typo, I'm bad for that, sorry bro, keep the head up always.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
If you weren't on the team last year, and people don't expect you to make it this year, nobody is going to pass you the ball in tryouts.

Go for every offensive rebound, it's the only way you'll get the basketball.

Go for a lot of steals, play defense like a madman. Search out opportunities to guard the best players from the team last year, and foul them every time they have a chance to score, and when someone calls a foul, deny it and act like guarding those guys is as natural as eating breakfast.
Are you serious?

He isn't trying out for a playground team.

Good lord young man, don't listen this type of crap.

Go watch the Nash drills and repeat them until your hands bleeds.

Tryouts are about 90% drills and conditioning and 10% scrimmage. Coaches don't care who passes you the ball, but they watch what you do when you get it.

You job is to rock the drills and show them you have heart, and that you care about doing them right.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
no one on the team knows me except one but he doesn't know i ball. played in a school 3on3 tourney and thought the team didn't seemed like ballers, but more like oversized chinese kids who could run and i thought i did well guarding them. i shut them down but was barely an offensive asset as my team mates never passed to me. maybe because the school is primarily chinese the expectations are lower. my friend who's around my height was on the team and he was very athletic but couldnt ball.
Well if all else fails, offer your coach a weekend with the gal in your avatar, that might work!
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,304
Representing:
Default

aight thx for the tips. ill work on those steve nash drills. still clueless on what i should do after i bring the ball up the court. i know plays but teAMMATES certainly wont; i dont want isolation game

Last edited by th3answ3r; 08-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
N64
not here

Wildcard Bitches
 
N64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,616
Representing:
Default

Lol i remember back when I was on the school team in gr9...a benchwarmer but still had a good time on the team. Was around the same height as you too, played shooting guard, had limited dribbling skills but I could shoot, used to watch old Pete Mavarich shooting videos back in the day so I had a proper shot, and I hit a lot of shots during tryouts lol...honestly like people said, just keep practicing and play against others whenever you can, the more practice the better.

Was only on the team in gr9 tbh...people were growing and I really wasn't till gr11...I'm 5'11 now but I'm more of a baseball and tennis player now
N64 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3answ3r View Post
aight thx for the tips. ill work on those steve nash drills. still clueless on what i should do after i bring the ball up the court. i know plays but teAMMATES certainly wont; i dont want isolation game
You said you're trying out for point guard right? Cause if you are, it's your job to direct everyone. Make contact with a player, and do simple hand motions. Wave your hand around emphatically to signal a cut. Motion a finger for a person to come for a pick. They're ball players, so if they don't know what those gestures mean they really shouldn't be trying out.

EDIT: Oh yeah, coaches look for point guards who can use hand signals in their tryouts, so again be sure to use them. They always look for people who can seem to direct basketball traffic, so using those gestures won't hurt.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

Next year...
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Oh... and clap on D, it works everytime. lol
Lol, I actually have a funny story about that. When Jose was my favourite player, I always tried to base my game off his. I was easily the worst defender out of every one of my friends that I play with.

But then, one day, me and my friends were playing with these older kids. One of them pissed the hell out of me by trash talking and etc. So, I played my hardest D possible on him. Oh man, I never knew I could play defense like that. So since then, I stopped basing my defensive game of Jose's, and incredibly I don't suck that bad on defense. I'm not gonna say I'm the best defender now, but at least I'm average now.
js12 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
fist pumping.

Member
 
KollegeKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 168
Representing:
Default

Basically what everyone else been saying.

When I made my high school team, it was mainly cuz of my defence and hustle up and down the court, since I didn't really have many opportunities to score because of all the ball hogs. Just keep your feet moving, and if you can, train on your endurance before the tryouts, like do suicides back and forth. Also, during tryout scrimmages, don't force a bad pass; a big problem in high school ball is turnovers - so make smart easy passes.
KollegeKid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #38 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,245
Representing:
Default

My try outs in highschool were 50% conditioning, 30% drills, and 20% scrimmaging.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,245
Representing:
Default

Some people have it easy in tryouts. Like Trane. He can dunk flat footed which get's him a automactic spot on the team,
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

senior year? You'll finally come up against some real defense.

In order to make this team you'll need more then just hustle.

At 5-7, that jump-shot has to be CONSISTENT, handles top-notch, and strength well above average.

If you're 120 lbs, something's wrong. My honest opinion bud.

I played ball through high school and university, it even got me a scholarship... not a job though... thank the lord for teachers college

Don't forget about that education!!
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24