Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Entertainment Lounge (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f9/)
-   -   Considering getting an alarm system (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f9/considering-getting-alarm-system-18866.html)

Renihan_00 01-11-2011 12:08 AM

Considering getting an alarm system
 
But they are crazy expensive.

So then I come across Alarmforce and it insanely cheap compared to the rest.

I looked up review on the internet and they are terrible. However, all the expensive companies have terrible ratings too! haha

Does anyone here know anything I should know?

I've had ADT in the past when I lived at home so I have some experience there but I bet someone knows something!

LX 01-11-2011 08:17 AM

The costs will go up, and it's a pain in the ass generally. If you get a false alarm, then you get a big bill from the cops. Or you can save that expense by forking over a regular amount each month to have any alarm checked by a security guard that works for the company before there is any call to the cops.

It's a trade that is based on fear, and the cost just doesn't have to necessarily reflect any level of service. Working out of our home, we were able to write off the expense, but I ended up canceling eventually anyway. We still have the stickers on our doors, so if the idea of an alarm brings about any avoidance, we get that for free.

Raptorman 01-11-2011 10:05 AM

get a dog instead.

Barracuda 01-11-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 491277)
get a dog instead.

Definitely. My dog is so quiet and well-behaved, but as soon as she thinks someone is breaking in or that I'm in any danger, she's an awesome guard dog. I love it.

And now I have the Alarmforce song in my head.

Dann38 01-11-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 491277)
get a dog instead.

What he said.

I had this conversation with others in the know and this was the resounding opinion.

Shadowfax 01-11-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 491277)
get a dog instead.

+1

Renihan_00 01-11-2011 11:18 AM

Dogs, unless they are trained attack dogs, are very easy to win over. Just need some really tasty food and your work is done.

A dog would end up costing me a fortune! Not to mention the inconvenience of making sure someone is home everyday to let the thing out, walking it, paying for a kennel if I go away for a weekend. No thanks.

I really only want the alarm for my girlfriend because she hates being here when I go away with work. It's not really for burglary protection just so she knows someone comes in at night and it provides a disincentive to stay if you do.

I would be happy to get my own non-monitored system and hook it up but alarmforce is so cheap, it competes with those.

Unless someone knows anything about those?

Price is a major factor here.

They warned me that it's $130 for each police call or you can pay like $2.50 (I think) a month to avoid it. I'm not sure if I care about either of those costs considering alternatives cost a boatload more.

Barracuda 01-11-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renihan_00 (Post 491310)
Dogs, unless they are trained attack dogs, are very easy to win over. Just need some really tasty food and your work is done.

A dog would end up costing me a fortune! Not to mention the inconvenience of making sure someone is home everyday to let the thing out, walking it, paying for a kennel if I go away for a weekend. No thanks.

I really only want the alarm for my girlfriend because she hates being here when I go away with work. It's not really for burglary protection just so she knows someone comes in at night and it provides a disincentive to stay if you do.

I would be happy to get my own non-monitored system and hook it up but alarmforce is so cheap, it competes with those.

Unless someone knows anything about those?

Price is a major factor here.

They warned me that it's $130 for each police call or you can pay like $2.50 (I think) a month to avoid it. I'm not sure if I care about either of those costs considering alternatives cost a boatload more.

Just hire me. I'll come over when you're not home, and protect your chick. I've got brass knuckles and nunchuk skills. I'm also a trained cagefighter.

Expensive, but worth it. Let's talk.

thought 01-11-2011 11:28 AM

Don't even get a dog, just post beware of dog stickers on both sides of your house.

A friend of mine has posted beware of dog stickers on the fence on both sides of his house. both of his neighbours' houses have been broken into, his hasn't. maybe more gimmicky than you're looking for but hey, if you're looking to cut costs..

Renihan_00 01-11-2011 02:02 PM

Cuda you guys would have to share a bed, we only have one in the house haha....

Thought thanks for idea thought, I had actually just been considering getting some fake stickers for alarm companies (you can get them around) but while that might deter a robber, it won't actually make her FEEL any safer.

I don't care if I get robbed to be honest. I have renters insurance, it is cheap as dirt and covers me for more than I am worth. Just want to give my "permanent roommate" some comfort.

Aar_Canada 01-11-2011 02:10 PM

The thought of a home invasion terrifies me. We have a bolt lock and a doorknob lock on the front door. I also lock the screen door. In the back, there are two doors - the mud room door and the door from the mud room into the kitchen, both with bolts. I also leave the living room light on at night. I still don't sleep well.

Renihan_00 01-11-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 491391)
The thought of a home invasion terrifies me. We have a bolt lock and a doorknob lock on the front door. I also lock the screen door. In the back, there are two doors - the mud room door and the door from the mud room into the kitchen, both with bolts. I also leave the living room light on at night. I still don't sleep well.

Just do what I do, sleep with a baseball bat in the corner of your room haha.

The other night one of our cats (definitely hers) smashed a glass downstairs. You have to assume that someone has smashed in the glass to open the backdoor (which is beside the kitchen).

I was downstairs quick as a hiccup with that bad boy ready to take someones head off. It's a non-issue for me with Mr. bat.

Still doesn't solve the problem when I'm out of town though haha

Barracuda 01-11-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renihan_00 (Post 491401)
Just do what I do, sleep with a baseball bat in the corner of your room haha.

The other night one of our cats (definitely hers) smashed a glass downstairs. You have to assume that someone has smashed in the glass to open the backdoor (which is beside the kitchen).

I was downstairs quick as a hiccup with that bad boy ready to take someones head off. It's a non-issue for me with Mr. bat.

Still doesn't solve the problem when I'm out of town though haha

She can borrow my Louisville Slugger. That's what I used to keep in my bedroom in case anyone broke in.

Belsius 01-11-2011 02:54 PM

I live in a little flat wich is kind of like a loft but not exactly. More than enough for student like me. Anyway, someone broke into my apartment while I was sleeping and stole one of my laptops, my first bass and the Wii. This person was literary no more than 9 feet away from me while I was sleeping. Have no alarm or insurance because I cant really afford it right now. Im actually not scared at all, I was just very pissed because of the sentimental value of my first bass and Im afraid next time I wont be at home and they will steal the more valuable stuff like my expensive guitars and desktop computer.

th3answ3r 01-11-2011 06:26 PM

I have a non monitored alarm system that rings :police: I don't see the point of buying them. I used to have alarm force and it had a false alarm and called my dads phone. My dad quickly cancelled the call to cops. Happened several times and I have never been fined.

I live in markham so there isn't much robberies
http://www.freewebs.com/biohazard_uk...0be%20shot.jpg

jeffb 01-11-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 491277)
get a dog instead.

If one is a dog lover i have to agree. Myself i wouldn't want a dog.

ReRoaR 01-11-2011 07:23 PM

Booby traps FTW!!

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc...l9u7o1_500.gif


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24