Anyone here workout daily? - Page 18
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #341 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Deadlifts are great, no doubt. but when is lifting 700+ pounds ever good for you? especially when thats triple your body weight?

its excessive, and pointless IMO.
Huh?

If you can lift (or push) the weight safely why WOULDN'T you want to handle as much weight as you could? The key is just building up to it SLOWLY and not trying to do more than you're ready for.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #342 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,723
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
One you start pulling that much weight there's no way that your back DOESN'T hunch. Remember... this isn't some gym newb who just decided to try to pull 700 for fun one day... he's been doing this for a few years.
yeah...and your back isn't supposed to hunch. too much weight.
thought is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #343 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
One you start pulling that much weight there's no way that your back DOESN'T hunch. Remember... this isn't some gym newb who just decided to try to pull 700 for fun one day... he's been doing this for a few years.
Improper technique is improper technique regardless of who you are, how long you've been working out and how much you can lift. Eventually, it's going to catch up with him.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #344 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Improper technique is improper technique regardless of who you are, how long you've been working out and how much you can lift. Eventually, it's going to catch up with him.
Possible... I'd give him the benefit of the doubt though unless he gets REALLY stupid. When you're pushing your boundaries setting a new max it's expected that your form isn't going to be letter-perfect. As you move past that to greater weight your form improves.. and you get stronger.

He can handle 585 x 7 pretty well too.

TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #345 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,557
Representing:
Default

ya a hernia is awesome...
these guys risk injury, period. the human body isnt designed to put so much stress on itself, eventually something will give.
regardless if he's been doing it for years and built up to doing that weight, whats the point in going so excessive? for one rep? have him do 6 at his max, thats where you see real strength and i bet thats a safer weight than a one time pump of a weight that shouldnt be done.

i have a friend who was a body builder, used to do massive amounts of weight, really huge guy... one day he was doing shrugs (something he's done for years) and doing a weight that was extremely heavy - but he had done in the past - and pop, his rib dislocated from his spine!
the guy was out for 9 months.
now he only uses machines... and will never touch anything considered too heavy. whats the point? this guy is looking to injure himself, and for what? is there some deadlift championship ive never heard about?
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #346 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
ya a hernia is awesome...
these guys risk injury, period. the human body isnt designed to put so much stress on itself, eventually something will give.
regardless if he's been doing it for years and built up to doing that weight, whats the point in going so excessive? for one rep? have him do 6 at his max, thats where you see real strength and i bet thats a safer weight than a one time pump of a weight that shouldnt be done.

i have a friend who was a body builder, used to do massive amounts of weight, really huge guy... one day he was doing shrugs (something he's done for years) and doing a weight that was extremely heavy - but he had done in the past - and pop, his rib dislocated from his spine!
the guy was out for 9 months.
now he only uses machines... and will never touch anything considered too heavy. whats the point? this guy is looking to injure himself, and for what? is there some deadlift championship ive never heard about?
How can you determine who's body can handle what? Have you seen what olympic lifters are capable of even at young ages? You can see 12 yr old chinese kids doing the clean & press with 150lbs on youtube.... and they do it easily... why? Because they practice the movement every day and their form is impeccable.

There are times when accidents happen (your friend)... and it happens in ANY sport that you can imagine. If you're playing soccer and you tear your achilles or blow your hammy while sprinting does that mean that you shouldn't have been playing at all? That the sport is "unsafe"?

C'mon man.... I have a hard time believing that you got as jacked as you did by pushy tiny weights.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #347 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,676
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
How can you determine who's body can handle what? Have you seen what olympic lifters are capable of even at young ages? You can see 12 yr old chinese kids doing the clean & press with 150lbs on youtube.... and they do it easily... why? Because they practice the movement every day and their form is impeccable.

There are times when accidents happen (your friend)... and it happens in ANY sport that you can imagine. If you're playing soccer and you tear your achilles or blow your hammy while sprinting does that mean that you shouldn't have been playing at all? That the sport is "unsafe"?

C'mon man.... I have a hard time believing that you got as jacked as you did by pushy tiny weights.
I agree with you.

Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #348 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,676
Representing:
Default

This is the video that inspires me the most.


Last edited by Nites; 03-11-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #349 (permalink)
freshhhh

Member
 
Wiseguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 337
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
The guys is in socks and his back is hunched like a mofo on the way up.

Dude's going to hurt himself.
The form is terrible, but I would say the majority of people who train seriously only wear socks when they are doing deads and squats... lets you push through with your heels more.
Deads and squats (with proper form) wearing only socks can actually help with foot arch problems and other issues like that.
Although I agree that his form is terrible, the lift is impressive regardless.
Wiseguy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #350 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

These videos make me appreciate my 8 lb dumbbells that much more.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #351 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

I rarely see guys lift with proper form.

Dudes are idiots. So worried about what people see they can or can't lift.

It's disgusting to me.

Idiots
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #352 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
The form is terrible, but I would say the majority of people who train seriously only wear socks when they are doing deads and squats... lets you push through with your heels more.
Deads and squats (with proper form) wearing only socks can actually help with foot arch problems and other issues like that.
Although I agree that his form is terrible, the lift is impressive regardless.
It's all good until you slip.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #353 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
It's all good until you slip.
As long as you wear flat-soled shoes you're good. Converse makes some decent ones.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #354 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

I am willing to bet most of the body builders take allot of pain killers.
Sure the muscles and bones can handle these weights. But I know that ligaments and cartilidge cant. I have been working out for years and I can tell you from experience that power lifting and lifting heavy to gain allot of muscle mass. Isnt worht it in the long run.
Argue if you will. But its true.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #355 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b55bgc View Post
I am willing to bet most of the body builders take allot of pain killers.
Sure the muscles and bones can handle these weights. But I know that ligaments and cartilidge cant. I have been working out for years and I can tell you from experience that power lifting and lifting heavy to gain allot of muscle mass. Isnt worht it in the long run.
Argue if you will. But its true.
Not true at all.

If you warm up before moving into heavy weights and progress SLOWLY your system will learn to deal with the stress. Your tendons will get stronger... as will your muscles. And as long as you're using correct form your joints will be fine.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #356 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Not true at all.

If you warm up before moving into heavy weights and progress SLOWLY your system will learn to deal with the stress. Your tendons will get stronger... as will your muscles. And as long as you're using correct form your joints will be fine.
Talk to any body builder, They will not complain about bone or muscle pain.
They will complain about the shoulder/ rotator cuff. Or the knees. I dont think your tendons get stronger, but the muscle around it does. Your tendons are elastic like. but if you stretch them, they dont strengthen back up. They are then more suseptible to injury again. Which is why you build up muscle around them.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #357 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b55bgc View Post
Talk to any body builder, They will not complain about bone or muscle pain.
They will complain about the shoulder/ rotator cuff. Or the knees. I dont think your tendons get stronger, but the muscle around it does. Your tendons are elastic like. but if you stretch them, they dont strengthen back up. They are then more suseptible to injury again. Which is why you build up muscle around them.
I have. And the ones with chronic shoulder or knee pain readily admit that they sustained the injuries because they were either using improper form or just training stupidly... or both.

Rotator cuff/shoulder pain from benching is a great example. Quite a few people end up injuring themselves because their elbows flare out to the sides and they bring the bar down closer to their neck than they should. I had this problem for a while until I watched some powerlifting bench videos and understood what I was doing wrong. When I fixed my form my pain went away.... and I'm benching heavier now than I ever have before.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #358 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I have. And the ones with chronic shoulder or knee pain readily admit that they sustained the injuries because they were either using improper form or just training stupidly... or both.

Rotator cuff/shoulder pain from benching is a great example. Quite a few people end up injuring themselves because their elbows flare out to the sides and they bring the bar down closer to their neck than they should. I had this problem for a while until I watched some powerlifting bench videos and understood what I was doing wrong. When I fixed my form my pain went away.... and I'm benching heavier now than I ever have before.
Well i guess you proved me wrong. Sure there is a proper way to perform exercises. But the majority of people dont do things correctly. My point was that the human body was not made to sustain such heavy weight lifting for prolonged periods of time.The wear and tear on your tendons, cartilidge and Sinews are too much. Its much better to cut back a bit on the weight and do higher reps.
May not be as fulfilling to your ego. But you get a much more sveldt and chisselled body.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #359 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b55bgc View Post
Well i guess you proved me wrong. Sure there is a proper way to perform exercises. But the majority of people dont do things correctly. My point was that the human body was not made to sustain such heavy weight lifting for prolonged periods of time.The wear and tear on your tendons, cartilidge and Sinews are too much. Its much better to cut back a bit on the weight and do higher reps.
May not be as fulfilling to your ego. But you get a much more sveldt and chisselled body.
And you're welcome to that POV... but it's about as "correct" as the assumptions that some women have about weightlifting ("OMG, I'll never do it because I don't want to get HUGE!").

I've spoken to men in their 50s who are still moving monstrous weight (400+lbs) and they've been lifting "heavy weights" for 30+ years. They're not "broken down old men"... on the contrary, they're FAR stronger and more fit than most other men their age (or younger!).

As for having a "chiselled body".... that's less about pushing weights and more about dieting.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #360 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
And you're welcome to that POV... but it's about as "correct" as the assumptions that some women have about weightlifting ("OMG, I'll never do it because I don't want to get HUGE!").
I've spoken to men in their 50s who are still moving monstrous weight (400+lbs) and they've been lifting "heavy weights" for 30+ years. They're not "broken down old men"... on the contrary, they're FAR stronger and more fit than most other men their age (or younger!).

As for having a "chiselled body".... that's less about pushing weights and more about dieting.
Heh.

Actually, I was gonna ask you about leg exercises that are good for "lean" muscle. I always worry that the squats and lunges are gonna eventually make my legs look big.

Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24