Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Yao Ming retires (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/yao-ming-retires-20763.html)

jeffb 07-08-2011 01:37 PM

Yao Ming retires
 
Quote:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Rockets' Yao Ming has decided to retire from the NBA, league sources tell Y! Sports. He informed the league office within past 48 hours.
17 minutes ago
Quote:

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Yao hasn't been able to recover fully from numerous operations. He is one of the seminal figures in globalization of the NBA and basketball.
13 minutes ago
Twitter


KollegeKid 07-08-2011 01:43 PM

Paying tribute to the Great Wall of Yao:


finstock 07-08-2011 01:45 PM

Haven't felt this sad about a retirement since Mutombo, but at least Dik had a lengthy career. Too bad.

10 07-08-2011 01:59 PM

Sad, but the guy left a solid imprint on the game.

When healthy he was the best C in the league...

I really hope he stays close to the game.

th3answ3r 07-08-2011 02:31 PM

wtf. There are many players out there who would play on the brink of death to get a ring. His life though, i recall other people telling him to play ball cuz he was tall.

js12 07-08-2011 03:09 PM

That honestly sucks. Yao was arguably better than Howard for best center in the league when he was healthy. I think he's only 30. So much wasted potential.

powerfulpanda 07-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by th3answ3r (Post 558479)
wtf. There are many players out there who would play on the brink of death to get a ring. His life though, i recall other people telling him to play ball cuz he was tall.

dude...you have a chinese flag, so its a fair assumption ur chinese?
don't u know they force people to play? i remember during the beijing olympics they were talking about this. they would go out and take children and judge them on potential. iunno the process but maybe like, "oh, this kid is tall - basketball" "this ones fast - track and field".
but ya, and then they take them to "sports schools" and thats all they do 24/7
i remember reading an article interviewing a chinese gymnast and he said he's seen his family a total of 3 times since they took him away when he was 8

also both of yao's parents were tall and played for the chinese men/women national teams. so it wouldn't be a reach to suspect the government had some sort of say in that pairing...

0nekhmer 07-08-2011 03:41 PM

one of the best C's to ever play the game :sigh:.. if only he could have avoided those injuries.

Dutches 07-08-2011 04:22 PM

as soon as he started hinting at this last year i was sad...

probably one of the best inside games of any player ever. I agree about him being the best center in the league when healthy too. Its really sad... o well... Time to look for discount YAO jerseys online! lol

good luck to Yao

EDIT: ps. yo jeff thanks for that vid. that dunk on Oden was DISGUSTING!!!

Dark Knight 07-08-2011 04:42 PM

Very sad to see. Yao wasn't your average 7+ foot center. Dude actually had skill.


powerfulpanda 07-08-2011 04:45 PM

here's a different take on this:
since during the lockout, players can't talk to coachs, team doctos, use the practice facilities, etc etc. so he's "retiring",so that he can rehab with his team doctors, talk to his coaches, work out at the team facility, and then just un-retire. maybe more players will do the same?

on the brightside yao will still lead next season in all-star votes :cookie:

SomeDPlease 07-08-2011 06:17 PM

Hall of Fame or no?

Dutches 07-08-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerfulpanda (Post 558525)
here's a different take on this:
since during the lockout, players can't talk to coachs, team doctos, use the practice facilities, etc etc. so he's "retiring",so that he can rehab with his team doctors, talk to his coaches, work out at the team facility, and then just un-retire. maybe more players will do the same?

this would be interesting. it would be awesome if it were true

Gurk 07-08-2011 06:34 PM

Wow this sucks. He was a really good player. He shall be missed

th3answ3r 07-08-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerfulpanda (Post 558491)
dude...you have a chinese flag, so its a fair assumption ur chinese?
don't u know they force people to play? i remember during the beijing olympics they were talking about this. they would go out and take children and judge them on potential. iunno the process but maybe like, "oh, this kid is tall - basketball" "this ones fast - track and field".
but ya, and then they take them to "sports schools" and thats all they do 24/7
i remember reading an article interviewing a chinese gymnast and he said he's seen his family a total of 3 times since they took him away when he was 8

also both of yao's parents were tall and played for the chinese men/women national teams. so it wouldn't be a reach to suspect the government had some sort of say in that pairing...


Yeah I k about that but wasn't sure about Yao except that he started at 16? Don't quote me on this, it could be another player I'm thinkin of. He has the $ and it's his life, but if I were him, I'd hoop until I get the ring.

th3answ3r 07-08-2011 06:48 PM

Tech foul on play 4 was bs. Players do that all the time

dfunkie1 07-08-2011 07:40 PM

yao seemed like a well grounded guy, but that aside, it's possible that he was the single greatest overrated player in the 21st century thus far.

Acie 07-08-2011 07:57 PM

I agree and in fact I got in an argument here one time about this. Yao lacked the stamina and aggression to elevate his game to elite status.

JDMtors 07-08-2011 08:40 PM

I wish Yao coulda come back and dominate again =o(. When Shaq retired I wasn't sad but when Yao did I went sighh...

ClutchCity 07-08-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by th3answ3r (Post 558540)
Yeah I k about that but wasn't sure about Yao except that he started at 16? Don't quote me on this, it could be another player I'm thinkin of. He has the $ and it's his life, but if I were him, I'd hoop until I get the ring.

Dude, at some point the issue becomes greater than basketball and its his LIFE like you mentioned. For all we know he was a couple injuries away from being crippled for the rest of his life. Is that really worth a ring? Maybe it is to Kobe Bryant but otherwise it's probably not. It's not like this is his first major injury, dude has been consistently injured throughout his entire career and the last time he returned he played limited minutes only to be out the remainder of the season with yet another foot/leg injury. We as fans take things for granted such as the amount of hard work these athletes put in. I'm sure if he could have it his way he would have loved to continue his career in pursuit of a ring but maybe he received sound advice that it would be best for him to retire to prevent the risk of another serious injury. He gave it a shot, a few shots actually, but at point you have to look at the big picture and realize these issues are more important than basketball because after all, it's just a game.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24