Where does Allen Iverson rank among the all-time greats? - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > NBA Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,512
Representing:
Default

Iverson, the best me-first player of all time.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 228
Representing:
Default

i thought the 30 for 30 documentary on iverson was really good
hoodz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,312
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Really? Why? He was always willing to talk to people. Lead his team in a positive fashion.

Sure he boned every groupie he could find, but his NBA demeanor was always
palatable.

AI's numbers are huge. He is the poster boy for getting 40+ points and his team losing.
I know my username is yeah but no michael jordan was an asshole. There are so many stories of him you would not believe. I guess bc he was such a winner, people overlook it
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,772
Representing:
Default

50 Greatest Players in NBA History - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets put it this way... he doesn't rate higher than anyone I watched play on this list (excludes 70 s and before), doesn't rate above Zeke for sure and doesn't rate above any a bunch more that are playing now, and I would take 3 current PGs this year over AI in most of his years.

He's a Hall of Famer. Maybe somewhere in the top 100... maybe not.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Groupies, gambling and forced retirement aside, he was a horrible teammate and people only tolerated him because he won.
Forced by the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll I assume.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,729
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Forced by the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll I assume.
No, by David Stern.

Also, there was no second shooter on the grassy knoll.

Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
It's not in any particular order although I would take Shaq, Hakeem, and Duncan over Russell if they were all in their primes today.
Yeah, you're going to have to explain this further because I disagree with you completely.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Is The:

Chairman of the Boards
 
gdaytday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nites View Post
It's not in any particular order although I would take Shaq, Hakeem, and Duncan over Russell if they were all in their primes today.
Bill Russell's prime lasted for pretty much his entire basketball playing career. As he recently reminded us in one of the best basketball related quotes of all time, part of which read:

"I won back-to-back state championships in high school, back-to-back NCAA championships in college. I won an NBA championship my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year, and nine in between."

Bill Russell serves LeBron James' after Mount Rushmore comments | FOX Sports on MSN

Combined, Shaq, Hakeem, and Duncan haven't won as many titles as Russell...and if you want to talk about individual rather than team greatness, he's also got more NBA season MVP awards than Shaq, Hakeen, and Duncan combined.

Last edited by gdaytday; 03-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.
gdaytday is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,472
Representing:
Default

Iverson was as dominant a pg as their has ever been in my lifetime. Easily on the same level as Stockton, Nash, Payton, Zeke.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
new, and shiny.

Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 356
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Too bad AI mixed in the gangstaness with his hustle and play. Too many players think that is part of the game now. I miss the days of MJ class and determination.
Conversely, too many white people need to stop judging players through the lens of their thinly-veiled racism.

Last edited by cloudnine; 03-05-2014 at 11:49 AM.
cloudnine is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,181
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudnine View Post
Conversely, too many white people need to stop judging players through the lens of their thinly-veiled racism.
I've been down this road before.

If I see a guy dressed as a clown, I think "Hey , There's a clown!" If I see someone in a Police uniform, I think "Hey! There's a cop!"

So if I see someone (regardless of race) in tats, chains, sunglasses, etc, I think "Hey! There goes a Thug!"

I know a lot of youngsters are selling "That's just my fashion, don't judge me" stuff.

Bottom line is if two guys came to your door to babysit your house or kids, one dressed in thugware and one dressed in jeans and a tshirt, who are you leaving your house with?

You are judged on what you wear. Accept it and work around it. I am as well. Yes, there are exceptions, but very few. That's why they are called "exceptions".

/old guy rant
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Iverson was as dominant a pg as their has ever been in my lifetime. Easily on the same level as Stockton, Nash, Payton, Zeke.
Just curious. Among this list of players:

Kidd, Nash, Payton, Paul, D. Williams, Billups, Marbury, Cassell, M. Jackson, K. Johnson, Parker, T. Hardaway, Stockton, Price, Fisher

Where does he rank? All guys he played with at one point. In my mind I've always considered Iverson a 2 not a 1.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 243
Representing:
Default

For me Iverson is one of the best "natural" talent ever played the game. If he could've had a better work ethic (and practice) then he'll be an all-time great for sure. Yes, he does not have defense but good luck stopping him. Yes he has an attitude but that's what gave him an edge on the court. I'd say he's the best 6'0 scoring guard that ever played in the NBA!
7shikamaru7 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,472
Representing:
Default

[Allen Iverson didn't have defense?
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,472
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
I've been down this road before.

If I see a guy dressed as a clown, I think "Hey , There's a clown!" If I see someone in a Police uniform, I think "Hey! There's a cop!"

So if I see someone (regardless of race) in tats, chains, sunglasses, etc, I think "Hey! There goes a Thug!"

I know a lot of youngsters are selling "That's just my fashion, don't judge me" stuff.

Bottom line is if two guys came to your door to babysit your house or kids, one dressed in thugware and one dressed in jeans and a tshirt, who are you leaving your house with?

You are judged on what you wear. Accept it and work around it. I am as well. Yes, there are exceptions, but very few. That's why they are called "exceptions".

/old guy rant
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Too bad AI mixed in the gangstaness with his hustle and play. Too many players think that is part of the game now. I miss the days of MJ class and determination.
So how is it that AI mixed his gangstaness (tats, chains, and sunglasses) with his hustle and play? In what way did he think it was part of the game and how did it make him less determined?

I'm failing to see the connection between your two quotes.

And there are very few exceptions to what? Like few non-thugs who dress like "thugs". I have a hard time believing that you allow yourself to get to know a fair amount of these people.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Is The:

Chairman of the Boards
 
gdaytday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7shikamaru7 View Post
For me Iverson is one of the best "natural" talent ever played the game. If he could've had a better work ethic (and practice) then he'll be an all-time great for sure. Yes, he does not have defense but good luck stopping him. Yes he has an attitude but that's what gave him an edge on the court. I'd say he's the best 6'0 scoring guard that ever played in the NBA!
No defense? He's like 12th all time in steals and averaged better than 2 per game.
gdaytday is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,472
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Just curious. Among this list of players:

Kidd, Nash, Payton, Paul, D. Williams, Billups, Marbury, Cassell, M. Jackson, K. Johnson, Parker, T. Hardaway, Stockton, Price, Fisher

Where does he rank? All guys he played with at one point. In my mind I've always considered Iverson a 2 not a 1.
It's so hard to rank. I would put him at the top of the list with Kidd, Nash, Parker, and Stockton.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #38 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,716
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
[Allen Iverson didn't have defense?
It's a pretty well-discussed fact that Iverson was not a great defender, regardless of his steal numbers.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,716
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Just curious. Among this list of players:

Kidd, Nash, Payton, Paul, D. Williams, Billups, Marbury, Cassell, M. Jackson, K. Johnson, Parker, T. Hardaway, Stockton, Price, Fisher

Where does he rank? All guys he played with at one point. In my mind I've always considered Iverson a 2 not a 1.
Yeah it's tough to say Iverson is a 1, although he did serve as the primary ballhandler a lot of the time. Thing is Eric Snow was the primary ballhandler for most of the time, and it's not like Snow was playing off the ball cause he couldn't shoot worth a lick. Iverson spent a lot of his mintues at the 1 when a guy like Aaron McKie was in the game.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

AI is in the top 50 somewhere, and if not then very close to it.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24