Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Is Westbrook worth 5yrs/94Mil ? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/westbrook-worth-5yrs-94mil-21919.html)

jeffb 01-17-2012 06:33 PM

Is Westbrook worth 5yrs/94Mil ?
 
Quote:

The Thunder have until January 25th to sign Russell Westbrook to an extension and sources say that "both sides are dug in right now."

Oklahoma City is hoping to preserve cap space to also re-sign James Harden and Serge Ibaka next year, but Westbrook could be eligible for 30 percent of the team's cap next season.

If Westbrook is selected to another All-NBA team, he could get a five-year, $94 million extension. The Thunder hope to sign him to the smaller five-year, $80 million extension.

Several sources close to the talks believe the sides will find a deal somewhere between the two numbers.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218367/Sources_Expect_Westbrook_Thunder_To_Split_Differen ce_Between_$80M_$94M

MrClutch 01-17-2012 06:41 PM

Not worth it, i would give him 12 mill a season though

Dario 01-17-2012 06:42 PM

wayy to much. I say 15Mill a year

pzabby 01-17-2012 06:50 PM

here we are asking for a dynamic, athletic pg, and then there are guys saying westbrook, the second best player on the thunder, a contending team, is worth 12 million? only 2 more than caldy and bargs? come on guys :confused2:

Dario 01-17-2012 06:53 PM

hm maybe 5/94M is pretty good. lol I just calculated its around 15M per season

DonMughal 01-17-2012 06:53 PM

80 Mill a year isn't too far from 94 mill believe it or not.

16 a mill to 18.8 a mill a year. I know it doesn't work like that but yeah.


Either way NBA athletes are way too overpaid.



COMPARED to other NBA salaries, Westbrook is a top 5 pg, soon-to-be top 3 maybe so he should get close to MAX. I think he's only 22 also. Damn.

Dario 01-17-2012 06:55 PM

^ Agreed

Toby 01-17-2012 07:54 PM

It's worth it if he brings home the heavyweight belt.

pzabby 01-17-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 601412)
80 Mill a year isn't too far from 94 mill believe it or not.

16 a mill to 18.8 a mill a year. I know it doesn't work like that but yeah.


Either way NBA athletes are way too overpaid.



COMPARED to other NBA salaries, Westbrook is a top 5 pg, soon-to-be top 3 maybe so he should get close to MAX. I think he's only 22 also. Damn.

agreed. I realized the other day how much less soccer players get in comparison. 200 000/week is a star. 200 000x52 gives you 10 400 000, that's barg and caldy's salary :dead:

MrClutch 01-17-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzabby (Post 601408)
here we are asking for a dynamic, athletic pg, and then there are guys saying westbrook, the second best player on the thunder, a contending team, is worth 12 million? only 2 more than caldy and bargs? come on guys :confused2:

caldy is overpaid as we know and bargnani is not your typical centre. I go 12 mill because I also have to think about extending Ibaka and Harden near the future

Bill Haverchuck 01-17-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 601412)
80 Mill a year isn't too far from 94 mill believe it or not.

16 a mill to 18.8 a mill a year. I know it doesn't work like that but yeah.

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying here. In isolation, an extra couple of mill per year does not seem like a lot once you're already at such a high number as $80 mill.

However, $2-3 million extra per year has the potential to push a team into the luxury tax if they have other players who they need to sign. For a smaller market team like OKC, these considerations are probably always on the mind. In the future, due to the new CBA the tax penalties are going to be harsher. With 60% of the cap going to two players, it would be very hard for OKC to retain any depth/quality role players without going into the tax. 2-3 million quickly turns into 5-6 million in costs + losing a bench player. In this case, the problem is how Westbrook's salary fits with the overall plan/obstacles.

Superjudge 01-17-2012 08:49 PM

I hope they sign him and make Harden available...he's the guy I wanted all along in that draft, and he's making me look smart all the time now.

jeffb 01-17-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 601494)
and he's making me look smart all the time now.

Then he's the real Il Mago :)

box92 01-17-2012 09:08 PM

ye hopefully we can get harden out of this

Nyall 01-17-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzabby (Post 601462)
agreed. I realized the other day how much less soccer players get in comparison. 200 000/week is a star. 200 000x52 gives you 10 400 000, that's barg and caldy's salary :dead:

They get paid in Euros and pounds not dollars.. and some even get their taxes paid for them..

pzabby 01-17-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyall (Post 601518)
They get paid in Euros and pounds not dollars.. and some even get their taxes paid for them..

fine, do the math. 1 euro is what, roughly 1.6 u.s dollars? thats 16.5 million. and keep in mind the cost of living in europe is much higher than in the states.....

Dark Knight 01-17-2012 10:07 PM

There's no way Westbrook should be making more than Durant. KD is their team. If you take him out of the equation, they plummet in the standings. Take Westbrook out and they are still a pretty good team.

TORaptor4Ever 01-17-2012 10:14 PM

Yikes. Almost $19M/yr? Ouch.

Toby 01-17-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever (Post 601540)
Yikes. Almost $19M/yr? Ouch.

It'd probably break down into increasing increments, 13, 16, 19, 22, 24

Dario 01-18-2012 12:08 AM

I would trade our whole team for westbrook:cookie: lol


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24