WC PLAYOFFS RD 3 : (1)SA SPURS vs (2)OKC THUNDER - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > NBA Talk

View Poll Results: Who wins and in how many games?
SAS IN 4 6 20.69%
SAS IN 5 6 20.69%
SAS IN 6 10 34.48%
SAS IN 7 2 6.90%
OKC IN 4 1 3.45%
OKC IN 5 0 0%
OKC IN 6 2 6.90%
OKC IN 7 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,020
Representing:
Default

Sportcenter just said that Ginobli didn't play in all 3 Thunder/Spurs games this season.
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,245
Representing:
Default

Interesting
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhnth View Post
not going to happen. parker is way more poised and experienced.
True and Parker is fast enough to stay in front of Westbrook.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Since the trade deadline and the acquisition of Diaw and Jackson the Spurs are 30-3 with a current 18 game win streak - does anyone really think they are going to lose the series to OKC? I've been a Spurs fan for as long as I can remember and I would love to see them go 16-0 in the play-offs.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

I know I'm pulling for um, just watching Duncan drop those 12 footers off the glass makes me feel nice inside.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Since the trade deadline and the acquisition of Diaw and Jackson the Spurs are 30-3 with a current 18 game win streak - does anyone really think they are going to lose the series to OKC? I've been a Spurs fan for as long as I can remember and I would love to see them go 16-0 in the play-offs.
None of that matters though. That is about as "square" as an analysis as you can make.

Remember in 2010 when Orlando was riding a 16 (?) game winning streak heading into the conference finals against Boston? Orlando swept Charlotte and then completed the most lopsided sweep in NBA history against the Hawks in round 2. Then they lost three in a row to Boston and their season was all but over. Why? Because the NBA is all about matchups. What you do against the other 28 teams means absolutely jack shit in any given match up.

Obviously the Spurs are much better than that Orlando team and I'm not even sure Orlando was a favourite against Boston like the Spurs are against OKC, but does their 18 game winning streak mean anything as to what will happen in this series or the rest of the playoffs? Nope. OKC could very well win game 1 and steal HCA. I could even see OKC winning the series (I have Spurs in 6) if things go right (really right).

Everyone is counting out OKC in this series saying Spurs will kill them. Yet the Spurs are only about -180 favourites? Doesn't that seem fishy? Almost as if they want you to bet on Spurs...

Like I said, I have Spurs to win this series, but not because they are on an 18 game winning streak, but because they matchup well with OKC. I like the fact that Spurs can run and slow it down if need be. That will be key in this series.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity View Post
None of that matters though. That is about as "square" as an analysis as you can make.

Remember in 2010 when Orlando was riding a 16 (?) game winning streak heading into the conference finals against Boston? Orlando swept Charlotte and then completed the most lopsided sweep in NBA history against the Hawks in round 2. Then they lost three in a row to Boston and their season was all but over. Why? Because the NBA is all about matchups. What you do against the other 28 teams means absolutely jack shit in any given match up.

Obviously the Spurs are much better than that Orlando team and I'm not even sure Orlando was a favourite against Boston like the Spurs are against OKC, but does their 18 game winning streak mean anything as to what will happen in this series or the rest of the playoffs? Nope. OKC could very well win game 1 and steal HCA. I could even see OKC winning the series (I have Spurs in 6) if things go right (really right).

Everyone is counting out OKC in this series saying Spurs will kill them. Yet the Spurs are only about -180 favourites? Doesn't that seem fishy? Almost as if they want you to bet on Spurs...

Like I said, I have Spurs to win this series, but not because they are on an 18 game winning streak, but because they matchup well with OKC. I like the fact that Spurs can run and slow it down if need be. That will be key in this series.
Wasn't an analysis to begin with. I was making a choice to not be redundant with an overly lengthy statement of the obvious.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Since the trade deadline and the acquisition of Diaw and Jackson the Spurs are 30-3 with a current 18 game win streak - does anyone really think they are going to lose the series to OKC? I've been a Spurs fan for as long as I can remember and I would love to see them go 16-0 in the play-offs.
I'm just saying their hot streak means nothing. And yes, a bunch of people think OKC will win this series.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,245
Representing:
Default

The 18-0 means nothing. Ginobili has constantly said this in his post game interviews.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
The 18-0 means nothing. Ginobili has constantly said this in his post game interviews.
Of course he did. Manu is a professional and not only he but Parker, Diaw, Duncan, coach, all of them say it. What are they gonna say? Anything else would be in poor taste and that's one of the reasons I've always been a fan.

As for the win streak and the 30-3 record since the deadline - including 8-0 in the playoffs - shows a tremendous amount; it shows that regardless of the team they face the Spurs have the depth and experience to overcome. Spurs play their game and right now no other team, including OKC, matches up well.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

They played Utah and LAC though. Two VERY flawed teams. They have not been tested yet.

Of course their streak is impressive, but once again, it means zero from here on out.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity View Post
They played Utah and LAC though. Two VERY flawed teams. They have not been tested yet.

Of course their streak is impressive, but once again, it means zero from here on out.
Of course it means something, it shows that in 91% of their games the Spurs have practiced their style of play successfully against most teams in the league. Playoffs just mean they'll bring it more intensely and will not rattle cause what they do is second nature, they understand each other's game and they can rely on each other. If you don't think that gives them an advantage of a young and highly emotional team I disagree with you.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,305
Representing:
Default

This is going to be a great battle
box92 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Of course it means something, it shows that in 91% of their games the Spurs have practiced their style of play successfully against most teams in the league. Playoffs just mean they'll bring it more intensely and will not rattle cause what they do is second nature, they understand each other's game and they can rely on each other. If you don't think that gives them an advantage of a young and highly emotional team I disagree with you.
Once again, this means nothing in the current series. Most of what you said can be applied to OKC too.

If Spurs win, they will win because they outplayed their opponent, not because how well they were playing coming into the series.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity View Post
Once again, this means nothing in the current series. Most of what you said can be applied to OKC too.

If Spurs win, they will win because they outplayed their opponent, not because how well they were playing coming into the series.
That doesn't even make sense to me since one is tied to the other.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
That doesn't even make sense to me since one is tied to the other.
This simply isn't true. Many championship teams head into the playoffs having lost 6 of their last 9 or 7 of their last 11 or the like. There is no correlation between how well you are playing coming in and how you will fare in the playoffs.

Here is an excerpt from an Insider article written by Tom Haberstroh:

Quote:
Much of the analysis we hear leading up to the playoffs tends to have postseason implications. Conventional wisdom suggests that a team must get "playoff-ready" in the final weeks of the season and play its best ball heading into the playoffs. Therefore, the Heat's recent slide revealed more about their title qualifications than anything months ago.

Among the short list of contenders, the Heat have the worst post-All-Star break record of 17-10 (.630). The Spurs have gone on a tear at 21-6, and the Bulls, despite some recent trip-ups, are right behind them in the second-half win column.

But no matter how well Miami or any other team does down the stretch of the regular season, it has virtually nothing to do with what will happen in the playoffs. The more we look at the historical data, the more we find that hot and cold streaks are just that ... streaks.

Here's a summary of the last 15 playoffs:

If you took the top two seeds from each conference and grouped them together, the ones with a losing record over their final 10 games of the regular season went on to win the title as frequently as those who went 9-1 or better. The best "hot" teams entering the playoffs have been no better than the "cold" ones.

• Remember the 2003-04 San Antonio Spurs? They had an 11-game winning streak going into the playoffs, the hottest such stretch in modern times. How'd they do? They lost in the Western Conference semifinals -- the same fate that season of the Sacramento Kings, who finished with a 4-6 record down the stretch.

• Get this: The record over the first 10 games of the regular season has a higher correlation to playoff series wins than the final 10 games of the regular season. What's more? Same thing with first half and second half of the season; the first-half record has a stronger link with postseason success than the second-half W-L.

• If you're looking for a sleeper, don't pay attention to their temperature going in. Of the seven conference finalists seeded third or lower (i.e., underdogs that went far), five of them fared worse in their final 10 games than their overall record. Think 2009-10 Boston Celtics. They finished 3-7 in their final 10 games and it meant nothing.

• More on sleeper picks. Of the 10 underdogs (3-seed or lower) that were blistering hot going into the playoffs (9-1 or better), only one -- the 1997-98 No. 3 Los Angeles Lakers -- reached the conference finals. Six of those 10 got bounced in the first round. Think 2008-09 Portland Trail Blazers. Oh, and that hot Lakers team? Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal got embarrassed by the Utah Jazz in four games in the conference finals that year.

Any way you slice it, the overwhelming takeaway is that momentum doesn't matter nearly as much as we think it does. And we focus on Miami because its 2005-06 championship team might offer the richest lesson of them all.

If you want to see the myth of momentum in action, just watch some tape of Miami's title team. It finished the regular season in disarray, losing three straight games to finish the season with a paltry 4-7 April record heading into the postseason run. People wrote it off faster than you could say Michael Doleac. And what happened? It won the title in six games, coincidentally coming back from an 0-2 deficit.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

The article means nothing to me. The 30-2 streak plays in the mionds on teh OKC team, ESPECIALLY when you consider how young they are and that this is really their first kick at the can. The logical on paper thing to say is obvious, of course evry game is a new game, yadda yadda, but the fact is, SA has been there before, and have learned how to win, seeing it function so efficiently wi the new parts its added since they were last poised to win is EXTREMELY intimidating to the younger OKC team.

MASSIVE ADVANTAGE SA!
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 2,786
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
The article means nothing to me. The 30-2 streak plays in the mionds on teh OKC team, ESPECIALLY when you consider how young they are and that this is really their first kick at the can. The logical on paper thing to say is obvious, of course evry game is a new game, yadda yadda, but the fact is, SA has been there before, and have learned how to win, seeing it function so efficiently wi the new parts its added since they were last poised to win is EXTREMELY intimidating to the younger OKC team.

MASSIVE ADVANTAGE SA!
The Spurs' hot streak means nothing to me.
ClutchCity is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Dude, why would it?
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
The article means nothing to me. The 30-2 streak plays in the mionds on teh OKC team, ESPECIALLY when you consider how young they are and that this is really their first kick at the can. The logical on paper thing to say is obvious, of course evry game is a new game, yadda yadda, but the fact is, SA has been there before, and have learned how to win, seeing it function so efficiently wi the new parts its added since they were last poised to win is EXTREMELY intimidating to the younger OKC team.

MASSIVE ADVANTAGE SA!
No, it's not really their first kick at the can. They made the conference finals last year. And they've obviously matured quite a bit from last year, as exemplified by their ability to win several close games and make huge plays in the 4th quarter.

I think the age thing is overplayed. Durant is a 5 year vet now, sticking shots in the face of Kobe.

So, on behalf of Durant.......oooooooh, we're soooooooooo scared.

If San Antonio wins, it's because they are the better team. It's not because Durant, Westbrook et al are scared or intimidated. Not buying it.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24