Should the NBA retire #23?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,611
Representing:
Question Should the NBA retire #23?

Now that MJ is in the hall, I think it would be appropriate that the NBA should retire the #23. I mean, he was only the single greatest player to ever dawn the NBA. All the current players that are wearing it can keep it (like Mariono Rivera had 42 before it was retire) Thoughts?
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
all right

Member
 
sixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 268
Representing:
Default

they should not because it would be a waste of time
sixel is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,611
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixel View Post
they should not because it would be a waste of time
Just like it was retiring #42 in baseball

I'm kinda looking for a better reason than that.
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,042
Representing:
Default

Comparing Jordan and Robinson is a bit ugly. Robinson's number was retired with respect to his contributions beyond the game.

Jordan's number can be retired in Chicago and Washington. There's really no point to anything else. The HOF and all of his rings and awards offer him plenty enough tribute.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,271
Representing:
Default

Robinson broke the race barrier, Jordan just won a few titles haha. No I disagree with that idea sorry black night. people 10 years down the road who are new to the game will think that Lebron are Kobe were the greatest players of all time and forget about Jordan. I do think Kobe is a better player then Jordan though.

Cheers
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rob Ford's dopeman.

Senior Member
 
Febreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anywhere there's Internet
Posts: 2,845
Representing:
Default

Naw because when I go to the NBA I'mma rock # 23.
Febreezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 516
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
Robinson broke the race barrier, Jordan just won a few titles haha. No I disagree with that idea sorry black night. people 10 years down the road who are new to the game will think that Lebron are Kobe were the greatest players of all time and forget about Jordan. I do think Kobe is a better player then Jordan though.

Cheers
not sure if you're serious but yes future generations will think kobe>jordan because they haven't seen those who've played in the past.
most of us are lucky enough to have seen MJ and Kobe play and see how the game has evolved from what it was and what it is now and can make a proper assessment.

Personally, if Jordan played in this era, where theres no hand checking and less contact...he could average 35ppg easily during his prime
SoGood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,814
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
not sure if you're serious but yes future generations will think kobe>jordan because they haven't seen those who've played in the past.
most of us are lucky enough to have seen MJ and Kobe play and see how the game has evolved from what it was and what it is now and can make a proper assessment.

Personally, if Jordan played in this era, where theres no hand checking and less contact...he could average 35ppg easily during his prime
Kobe did average 35ppg during his prime. (tho they went nowhere since his team was full of crap..)
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
hi

Senior Member
 
jumplvlan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
not sure if you're serious but yes future generations will think kobe>jordan because they haven't seen those who've played in the past.
most of us are lucky enough to have seen MJ and Kobe play and see how the game has evolved from what it was and what it is now and can make a proper assessment.

Personally, if Jordan played in this era, where theres no hand checking and less contact...he could average 35ppg easily during his prime


What about zone defense?
jumplvlan23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Now that MJ is in the hall, I think it would be appropriate that the NBA should retire the #23. I mean, he was only the single greatest player to ever dawn the NBA. All the current players that are wearing it can keep it (like Mariono Rivera had 42 before it was retire) Thoughts?
I say no. I had a big reason typed up but I've elected to scrap that and just say its only a number and its not like Michael Jordan is going to be forgotten if the likes of LeBron James or JR Smith are wearing the same number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumplvlan23 View Post
[/b]

What about zone defense?
That doesn't matter if you're at the line 15 times a game and he very well could be if you threw him down here in his prime.

Last edited by Apollo; 08-11-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
the go-to-guy

avatar by F1nir_
 
Mr4thQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,770
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Just like it was retiring #42 in baseball

I'm kinda looking for a better reason than that.
Ehm.. why don't you give a good reason for bringing it up in the first place? lol
Mr4thQuarter is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default


Hi, my name is LeBron. I enjoy long walks on the beach, confiscating potentially humiliating video recordings and wearing the #23.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,686
Representing:
Default

never.
why would the NBA retire his number? Its debatable if he's even the greatest ever.
I certainly dont think he was... and I'm sure if we took a poll here, a lot of people wouldnt have him as their #1 NBA player of all time either.

The NHL retired Gretzky's #99 because he was the greatest player ever. it wasn't even an arguement. he smashed every single season record, and his records will NEVER be broken.
what records does MJ hold in the NBA? does he even hold any?
Jordan is one of the best ever... but he didnt change the game, he didnt revolutionize anything. the only place 23 should be retired is in Chicago.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Good question and just so we're all clear...

Quote:
Awards
Five-time regular season Most Valuable Player, 1987-88, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1997-98.
Won three consecutive NBA Finals MVPs, twice, 1991-93 and 1996-98.
Second player to win seven straight scoring titles, 1986-87 to 1992-93 (Wilt Chamberlain, 1960-66).
Also won scoring titles in 1995-96, 1996-97 and 1997-98.
All-NBA first team seven straight years, 1987-93. Also 1996-1998.
All-Defense first team six straight years, 1988-93. Also 1996-1998.
NBA Defensive Player of the Year, 1988.
NBA Rookie of the Year, 1984-85.
NBA Slam Dunk Champion, 1987, 1988.
NBA All-Star Game MVP, 1988, 1996, 1998.
Sporting News College Player of the Year, 1983, 1984.
Sporting News All-America first team, 1983, 1984.

Records
Bulls' all-time leading scorer and 3rd all-time leading scorer in NBA with 29,277 points.
Scored a playoff-record 63 points in a 1986 first-round game against Boston.
Set NBA record with 23 consecutive points against Atlanta in 1987.
3,041 points in 1986-87 were the third-highest total in NBA history.
Holds career record for highest-points per game average in regular season, 31.5.
Shares single-game record for most free throws made in one quarter, 14, 1989 at Utah (4th quarter), and 1992 at Miami (4th quarter).
Career record for scoring average in All-Star Game, 21.3 ppg.
Highest scoring average, NBA Finals, 41.0 against Phoenix, 1993.
Most points, six-game series, NBA Finals, 246 against Phoenix, 1993.
Most field goals, NBA Finals, 101 against Phoenix, 1993.
Holds career record for highest-points per game average in playoffs, 33.4.
Holds NBA Finals single-game record for most points in one half, 35.
Michael Jordan Achievements, Awards and Records
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,686
Representing:
Default

these are probably the only 2 worth anything IMO:

Holds career record for highest-points per game average in regular season, 31.5.
Holds career record for highest-points per game average in playoffs, 33.4.

and those are going to be broken in the next decade.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumplvlan23 View Post
[/b]

What about zone defense?
What about Ewing, Starks, Oakley, McDaniel, McHale, Parrish, Bird, Laimbeer, Thomas, Rodman and those guys physically beating teh fuck out of you every night and STILL being able to score despite all of that?
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
What about Ewing, Starks, Oakley, McDaniel, McHale, Parrish, Bird, Laimbeer, Thomas, Rodman and those guys physically beating teh fuck out of you every night and STILL being able to score despite all of that?
oh, you mean when the league went into protective mode and prevented another from breathing near jordone? nightly basis lasted a couple of seasons when the bulls could actually make it out of the first round.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

Yes. The NBA should retire # 23 for the GOAT
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,823
Representing:
Default

If they reitre 23 they gotta retire 32 33 24 50 99 28 26 21 22 & the list goes on & on...
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Banned
 
souternmost raptors fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 158
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Holds career record for highest-points per game average in regular season, 31.5.
Jordan doesn't hold that record, Wilt Chamberlain does at 50.4 PPG.

WARRIORS: Wilt Chamberlain’s Records
souternmost raptors fan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marbury to retire? rapsdabest NBA Talk 14 09-08-2009 08:52 PM
Iverson Would Rather Retire Than Come Off Bench Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 30 04-03-2009 12:13 PM
Heat to retire Mourning's 33 Windex NBA Talk 2 03-01-2009 01:35 PM
Where Should Shaq Retire His Jersey? Windex NBA Talk 21 01-13-2009 07:37 AM
Retire a Raptors Jersey? arsonal Toronto Raptors 14 12-18-2008 11:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24