Rondo says "show me the money"... refuses to sign contract extension with C's. - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > NBA Talk


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,330
Representing:
Default

My personal thoughts on the kind of point guard you need is one that can shoot decently (can knock down a wide open 3 with some consistancy) and can play GOOD defence.

To me that is all you need out of a PG. Forget the handles, forget the driving ability, hell even forget passing as long as he can do a half decent job... A guy like Derek Fisher to me is almost the model (in his younger days). You find a guy who can do that for the lowest cost possible.

Then use the rest of your money to lock up a good scoring wing and a strong inside presence. Neither of them have to be super-studs, although preferably one is.

Just run the offense through a slashing wing and the role of your PG is just to prevent the other PG from driving to the paint and opening up the other teams offense. I don't see why you need to spend crazy money on this position.

I think a guy like Jose is great but just not worth the money because of his defensive shortcomings. I think a guy like rondo is great because he can play solid D but he can't hit an open J with consistancy.

Neither of them are worth the money they (will) get IMO.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,070
Representing:
Default

Yep - I look at the defense. Rondo isn't worth a bunch because he has the kind of greatness as those other guys destined for the hall, but because he is more than decent, and plays a tough defensive game. So much of the game today is all about stopping guys right from the starting point of their offense, pressuring guys all the way up the court, being able to disrupt sets over and over again.

I'd take him on this team and trade Calderon in a heartbeat. It would be great to add Bargnani to make it work. Or anybody. But who do they need? And why would they take Calderon? Jack would work well for them. Still - who else would they need?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

i think the C's are reluctant to re-sign Rondo because Pierce can opt out of his contract at the end of the year, and Allen is in his last year as well.
why re-sign a potential superstar when you can spend your money to re-sign one of your captains (PP) and then also sign a bonafide star in 2010.
it doesnt help Rondo's case that he's seen as a lockeroom cancer by his bosses.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
rb
let the games begin

Senior Member
 
rb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vaughan
Posts: 971
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
maybe you make a point for the regular season but the only pattern is see is payton zero rings, stockton zero rings, tim hardaway zero rings, nash zero rings, jason kidd zero rings, chris paul 10 years from now having zero rings, deron willaims 10 years from now having zero rings
Hate to burst your bubble but Gary Payton does have a ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
But does it always work?

Typically teams add wing players, not PGs.

E.g.

Artest to Houston. Didn't really bump them up.
C'mon now they nearly won the West because of him how could you say he didn't do anything for them?
rb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

They nearly won without him too. So what's the point.

I'd argue if they added a guy like Mo Williams to that squad that would've made a bigger impact than adding Artest.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,552
Representing:
Default

Remeber when Rondo was said to be a sub-par scrub? Oh, how things have changed. This guy owes everything to the Big 3.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,242
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I know that. I'd deal Jose away in a heartbeat and keep Jack instead personally.

The game today is PG driven. I'd sell Jose for a SG/SF to round out the team.

Actually the more I think of it an future backcourt of DeRozan/Wright? and Rondo seems pretty athletic and defensively sound. There's something you could ever say about our backcourt, well ever.
You would have no choice but to deal Jose over Jack because you would get nothing in return for Jack.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,242
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Remeber when Rondo was said to be a sub-par scrub? Oh, how things have changed. This guy owes everything to the Big 3.
Your right on Dark Night and thats why Rondo will walk because he gets no respect in Boston or the league. If he wants more money then he will have to leave because I am sure someone will be able to sign him for 3-4 mil a year.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,816
Representing:
Default

Losing Ariza and having Walton start SF
Having PGs:
MoWil
Fisher
Farmar


Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,138
Representing:
Default

You guys are @#$%ing killing me... Let Bosh walk, trade Calderon and sign Rondo? Yeah, it appears we have a lot of Leafs fans in the building because that logic is Maple Leaf's tight.

You think you're getting a premier center for Jose or Jarret? Not a chance. I thought it was commonly held knowledge that good centers are valued far more highly than good guards.

Rondo can't shoot worth shit. He has an ego. No thanks, the Raptors have a pretty good PG duo right now. Lets let them play out a season before we roll them out of town in a barrel.

Last edited by Apollo; 10-27-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #31 (permalink)
waiting for the Masai-a

on ihateus
 
Torontosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria, home of the Nash-ites
Posts: 3,859
Representing:
Default

My prediction: Rondo ends up a Knick when NY gets desperate after the 3 big free-agents resign with their respective teams
Torontosaurus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,138
Representing:
Default

I think he could be there even if they land one of the big three. Maybe the Celtics move him this year too...
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #33 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,660
Representing:
Default

Rondo creates so many plays for his team that don't get recorded in a score sheet. He's relentless.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,138
Representing:
Default

Then one could argue that Rondo has the luxury of playing with three all-stars and that takes pressure off him as defenses cannot focus on him.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,660
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Then one could argue that Rondo has the luxury of playing with three all-stars and that takes pressure off him as defenses cannot focus on him.
One could argue that if they chose to, but they would be wrong.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,070
Representing:
Default

Rondo upped his game in two consecutive post-seasons, and the second time it was with a very depleted big three - it was actually a big two with a tired pair that he largely carried. That is worth something. There's now way a straight-up exchange for Bosh works. With or without Bosh there still needs to be talent added beyond what Rondo brings. Anyway - it would be madness on Boston's part to trade him within the division. And they would want Bargnani would they?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 694
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
is Rondo top 5?
yikes.
If the way he played last season and in the playoffs is any indication of where this kid is headed i would say yes. Rondo is a beast man. I would take him on the Raps over Calderon in a heartbeat.
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,375
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I think he could be there even if they land one of the big three. Maybe the Celtics move him this year too...
You could be right about Rondo landing in New York, but the logistics of the situation make it difficult. If Rondo gets traded to NY, what would Boston get in return? To be honest, I think Boston would be just as deadly with Chris Duhon running the point. Boston's championship hopes rest on the health of KG, PP, and Allen, not their point guard. A reliable guy, like Duhon, could do the trick. However, I highly doubt Danny Ainge would be willing to trade Rondo (and salary filler, which NY would insist be expiring) for just Duhon; Ainge would want something else, too. But what? I think that's a problem.

Maybe Ainge would be willing to settle for Duhon, Chandler and a pick. Chandler is actually a decent prospect. But surely another team would be able to offer something better. The best asset New York has right now is David Lee, but he's an unrestricted FA in 2010, so I doubt Ainge would trade Rondo for him. There's probably too many logistical problems for NY to make the best offer for Rondo.

And remember, Rondo is a RESTRICTED FA, so Boston has the ability to match offers and the leverage to maneuver for a trade. Rondo won't walk without Boston getting a decent trade offer.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 10-30-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Discovered that Lee is unrestricted in 2010.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch the Live Stream of "Behind the Draft" and "Raptors Traing Camp Part 2" bigmac(rexdale) Raptors Video Vault 0 10-27-2009 06:53 PM
ESPN: Celtics Re-Sign "Big Baby" Davis Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 4 08-10-2009 05:36 PM
Grange: "Sign & Trade, get used to it." Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 22 02-19-2009 02:59 AM
Lakers won't offer Bynum contract extension "yet"?? jeffb NBA Talk 4 06-21-2008 11:34 PM
The All-Time Raptors "No Show" team Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 3 02-08-2008 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24