ratliff signs with philly
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,662
Representing:
Default ratliff signs with philly

not huge, but this is just another piece for a team that's making a lot of good moves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3544942
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,330
Representing:
Default

Yea, Philly just keeps on making moves in this offfseason. Ratliff will help a little with his vetern leadership and will also help young PF's that Philly has such as Marreese Speights and Jason Smith
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,947
Representing:
Not huge but he'll add some veteran leadership and depth!They are going to be difficult to play this season.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 53
Representing:
Default

yes, im waiting for big surprise from Philly.. but maybe it will not surprise
zhan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,312
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhan View Post
yes, im waiting for big surprise from Philly.. but maybe it will not surprise
The surprise will be when they arent as good as everyone thinks they will be, because they are a hot pick atm, the only surprise is when they get 7th seed.
Ugo Ferst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,330
Representing:
Default

That's the same thing I think, they look good on paper but when it comes to the real thing I don't think they will be that great
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

they remind me of ourselves a year ago. caught everyone off guard when no one really thought of them as a threat, built some confidence and rolled with it. while everyone is praising them now, they're on every teams radar.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member, Eh?
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,604
Representing:
Default

Philly should be tough this year. They were a strong team toward the end of the season. Adding a year experience, and especially adding Brand make them a lot tougher. Ratliff gives them depth and a solid vet in the clubhouse.
Major is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
they remind me of ourselves a year ago. caught everyone off guard when no one really thought of them as a threat, built some confidence and rolled with it. while everyone is praising them now, they're on every teams radar.
Well, we didn't add a perennial all star and consistent 20/10 guy that offseason.

Philly is a very good basketball team...don't kid yourselves people.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

my point was that they weren't that good of a team last season as they were being lead on to be.

so if it's cool, i'll continue to kid myself. thanks.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Alot of what Philly does right now will depend on Andre Miller. If you watch his career closely you notice that when he is surrounded with talent, something happens to his game and he actually becomes a worst player. He was an average point guard when he and Elton Brand played the first time with eachother in Los Angeles (and you see how well that worked) and he was an average player in Denver. Andre always plays better or his game looks better when the offence in a weird way is focussed around him.

Plus, an achilles injury is a severe injury and I wouldn't be surprised to see Brand play pretty poorly (by his standards) this season.

Philly is good but I see them as a 43-44 win team this season. Good but not great.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
my point was that they weren't that good of a team last season as they were being lead on to be.

so if it's cool, i'll continue to kid myself. thanks.
How were they not? They took a couple games against Detroit, and had a great 2nd half...that doesn't mean anything?

And my point is that Philly adding an all star in the offseason makes that comparison fall flat because they're a much different team this season, what with a new best player and all. The Raptors big pickup that offseason was Jamario Moon.

But by all means, continue to kid yourself all you want. You're welcome.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

okay, you're a big douchebag

two seasons ago we took the league by surprise

last season teams took us seriously

last season the sixers took the league by surprise

this year, regardless of brand, teams will prepare for them.

teams like the pistons won't sleep on them


get it?

is it that hard?
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
okay, you're a big douchebag

two seasons ago we took the league by surprise

last season teams took us seriously

last season the sixers took the league by surprise

this year, regardless of brand, teams will prepare for them.

teams like the pistons won't sleep on them


get it?

is it that hard?
Well I've gotta say I disagree with your first point.

Anyway...I understand your comparison. I always understood it.

I'm saying it's not an apt comparison, because Philly got much better between seasons, where as the Raptors did not.

You're saying Philly is in trouble, as the Raps were, because teams are going to pay more attention to them next season. That's fine. You're correct to a degree.

I'm saying Philly is in significantly less trouble than the Raps due to the fact that they added an all star, which the Raps did not. So, you see, it is likely that they will not experience the same dip the Raptors did last year for two reasons. 1) They improved 2) They didn't have as good a record as we did in the first place.

Philly will be less affected by teams preparing for them than the Raptors were because they improved, while the Raptors did not.

Please explain to me how that is incorrect.

And as for me being a douchebag, my original "don't kid yourselves" comment was not directed at you specifically. It was in fact directed at the multiple people who have been saying they think Philly has a good roster but won't do well. You're the one who chose to respond with attitude. I say the exact same thing you did and I'm a douchebag? Why? For disagreeing?
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

1) you're reading a fortune cookie. you don't know anything more than that they've improved on paper. like CG said about miller, you don't know how players will adapt to a new offensive focus on the team. how will iggy and williams adapt? how will evans and daley respond with brand taking up their defensive zones? adding impact payers doesn't necessarily make a team improved, especially a team that won games based on chemistry and momentum.

oh

also, we didn't improve because of injuries. we didn't want to tinker with the chemistry that we built the previous season.

2)you don't need a comparable record to make comarisions. like philly last season, we were the hottest team in the second half. we completely jumped on teams sleeping on us until we had the confidence to carry us thru the rest of the season. much like how we capitalized the demise of the atlantic, the sixers capitalized on the demise of miami, chicago, and new jersey.

how exactly won't they be effected? they're being treated like a contender in the east. until proven otherwise, teams will be facing them like they belong. they were mediocre, now they'll be good. who's kidding who?

and you're a douchebag because you're bending my point
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

They will be affected, but less so because they made a dramatic upgrade. Yes, you can say that no one knows how much they'll actually improve, but they added an all star to a position where they started Reggie Evans last year. It's an improvement.

All I said originally was that, as opposed to the Sixers, we did not add a major talent in the offseason following a surprisingly good season. That makes a big difference. I don't see how you can argue that.

I didn't twist your point at all. I simply pointed out a major difference between the Raptors a year ago and the Sixers right now. That's all I've done throughout this entire discussion.

I didn't intend this to become any sort of argument. I wasn't trying to attack your comparison or anything, because in essence you're correct. All I wanted to say was that Philly is a very solid team. Better, in my opinion, than the Raptors of a year ago. That's it...it was meant more as an add on to your comment than an argument. The don't kid yourselves comment was meant to imply that people who don't think that Philly could be right there with the Raptors for second in the Atlantic could very well be unpleasantly surprised.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

me - a lot of teams slept on the sixers this year like us the previous season. that's not going to happen this year.

you - they added brand therefore your statement is invalid

i guess we have different perceptions on creating an arguement.

i believe philly has a solid team as well, but i also believe that a lot of prove before we can consider them a home court team come next may. i still rank us strongly ahead of them. i also don't think o'neal will disrupt any chemistry on our team whereas brand most likely will with them.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,788
Representing:
Default

How about..Philly will suck balls and Brand will be a big bust.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

how about the lakers never winning another championship because kobe needs shaq?
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,788
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
how about the lakers never winning another championship because kobe needs shaq?
Meh, only time will tell right guys?
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official: Iverson Signs with Philly Febreezy NBA Talk 19 12-02-2009 06:58 PM
Spurs sign Theo Ratliff jeffb NBA Talk 1 07-26-2009 06:09 PM
Dalembert Wants Out of Philly? Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 2 05-04-2009 09:34 PM
Are we better than Philly? RiceItUp Toronto Raptors 2 09-29-2008 11:53 PM
Wolves Waive Ratliff, Who Will Sign With Pistons Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 3 02-29-2008 04:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24