Pre-injury Rose vs. Rondo, who's better? - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > NBA Talk

View Poll Results: who's better?
Rajon Rondo 6 15.00%
Derrick Rose 34 85.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

i love rondo, but there is really no competition here.
if you had an option to get either, i dont think anyone in their right minds would take rondo over rose.
Rose is an MVP, he is the star of his team.

Boston actually did better without Rondo when he was out of the lineup.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i love rondo, but there is really no competition here.
if you had an option to get either, i dont think anyone in their right minds would take rondo over rose.
Rose is an MVP, he is the star of his team.

Boston actually did better without Rondo when he was out of the lineup.
Until the playoffs, they look clueless out there.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I could see Rondo making a few teams worse.
who......?
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,620
Representing:
Default

Is this actually a question? Rose is by far the better scorer, more athletic, a comparable playmaker to Rondo. Only thing rondo really has on him is defence and rebounds which Rose is not really a slacker in either of those either.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Is this actually a question? Rose is by far the better scorer, more athletic, a comparable playmaker to Rondo. Only thing rondo really has on him is defence and rebounds which Rose is not really a slacker in either of those either.
I know right? It's a fight for 2nd cause we all know CP3 is hands down the best 2 way pg in the game today.

Seriously though, I would go CP3/Rondo/Rose and in that order. IMO there is no doubt who is the best right now and that's CP3 - only weakness? he seems to struggle with his mid range and farther shot if there is a taller defender in front, really fairly minor. Rondo and Rose have similar weaknesses with their shot, both struggle from the distance. Rondo is the better facilitator to date and defender (though Rose is nipping behind). Rose just seems to stuff the stat sheet with his all around game. If I had to choose? I'd take Paul
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj0786 View Post
MVP'S:

Derrick Rose:1
Rajon Rondo:0
NBA Championships

Derrick Rose: 0
Rajon Rando: 1

Rondo winning the championship (an integral player in that) doesn't make him better than Rose, much like your MVP reference - meaning Rose was more important to his team's success - doesn't mean Rose was the best player. If that was the case, MJ should have won it every year....or Shaq, cause who was going to stop him? That's why Nash won twice, not that he was the best at the time but when he didn't play, the Suns stunk it up.

Really, as much as KD and LBJ have done this year, or Rose when he won the MVP prior, IMO I don't think there is a better MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for their respective teams than CP3. If Rose or KD or LBJ sits, their teams still win - in fact they're play-off teams with out them. When Paul is out what an ugly mess in LA - no defense or offense - and the Clippers go from contender to bottom feeder. Best player in the world is no doubt LBJ with KD second, but to their teams CP3.

Really, the league should have 2 awards - MVP and Best Player

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 04-26-2013 at 09:52 AM.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

I disagree - everybody falls in love with the crafty pick and roll point guard. Nash now Paul. They're put on to a pedestal - but often their team's dependance on them is created by their own need to control. That's why the Clips are a much better team with Billups on the court - Paul gives up on the need to control everything and is happy to let Billups run the show with him. IMO Rose > Paul (atleast he was pre-injury), although I acknowledge that debate is far more interesting then a Rondo/Rose debate.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I disagree - everybody falls in love with the crafty pick and roll point guard. Nash now Paul. There held up on to this pedestal. IMO Rose > Paul (atleast he was pre-injury), although I acknowledge that debat is far more interesting then a Rondo/Rose debate.
I agree about the debate but do you really feel Rose is already greater than Paul? I can't agree with that one. CP3 is closer to being a complete offensive player from assists to driving to 3 pt shooting than Rose is. CP3 can almost do it all - I mean, Rose has a long ways to go to equal the offensive package/repertoire that CP3 has. Defensively I think they are closer but still, I lean towards Paul with the tipping point coming from experience - CP3 has seen/dealt/overcome much more defensive schemes than Rose has.

As for Rondo, he's excelled so much in the playoffs that it will be interesting to see how far CP3 can go this year and if they did win it all, how will his play stack up against Rondo's (which is extremely impressive).

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 04-26-2013 at 01:45 PM.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,614
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

wow 30/3 lol
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I agree about the debate but do you really feel Rose is already greater than Paul? I can't agree with that one. CP3 is closer to being a complete offensive player from assists to driving to 3 pt shooting than Rose is. CP3 can almost do it all - I mean, Rose has a long ways to go to equal the offensive package/repertoire that CP3 has. Defensively I think they are closer but still, I lean towards Paul with the tipping point coming from experience - CP3 has seen/dealt/overcome much more defensive schemes than Rose has.

As for Rondo, he's excelled so much in the playoffs that it will be interesting to see how far CP3 can go this year and if they did win it all, how will his play stack up against Rondo's (which is extremely impressive).
You're talking about Rose the way people talk about Russel Westbrook. I think your memory of him isn't very accurate. Case in point - "long way to go". He was already there, he really was a better offensive player than Chris Paul when he got injured.

He doesn't pass as much as Paul/Rondo simply because he has more ability scoring the ball himself. That's not worse/better, just different.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
who......?
The Heat

The Spurs

The Nuggets

A young team like the Cavs

I think the NBA is moving towards teams where it's more important to have more than one guy on the floor making the good passes.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i love rondo, but there is really no competition here.
if you had an option to get either, i dont think anyone in their right minds would take rondo over rose.
Rose is an MVP, he is the star of his team.

Boston actually did better without Rondo when he was out of the lineup.
For a little stretch of games while teams adjusted to them....

They went 11-13 over the final 2 months of the season and look like absolute dogshit right now in the playoffs.

Contrast that to the team that took Miami to 7 games last year and gave them their toughest challenge by far.

What was the difference? Rondo.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
...

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,161
Representing:
Default

This isn't a contest, its clearly Rose. I'm very interested to see how Rondo does once he's the focal point of the offence for his team and they have limited options in terms of secondary playmakers like Rose the past few seasons. Having to create shots/opportunities and running the offence through/for guys like KG and PP is a lot different than for Bradley and Green.

As much as I love CP3, Rose was definitely on his level the past few seasons if not surpassing it, which is obviously arguable, as bjjs put it, he does it in a different way because he's such a good scorer, but his passing ability really took another step last season before he got injured. The Bulls are going to be scary good if he can come back at the same level, now that they finally found a legit starting SG with Butler. They have the perfect starting 5 to take down MIA.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
This isn't a contest, its clearly Rose. I'm very interested to see how Rondo does once he's the focal point of the offence for his team and they have limited options in terms of secondary playmakers like Rose the past few seasons. Having to create shots/opportunities and running the offence through/for guys like KG and PP is a lot different than for Bradley and Green.

As much as I love CP3, Rose was definitely on his level the past few seasons if not surpassing it, which is obviously arguable, as bjjs put it, he does it in a different way because he's such a good scorer, but his passing ability really took another step last season before he got injured. The Bulls are going to be scary good if he can come back at the same level, now that they finally found a legit starting SG with Butler. They have the perfect starting 5 to take down MIA.
MIA ate CHI's lunch 2 seasons ago and they'd do the same if they met again.

Boozer is a liability defensively.... Noah is gimpy.... and CHI's SG spot is still suspect.

MIA's bench is better, Lebron is playing the best he ever has and Wade and Bosh are still better than anyone else on CHI outside of Rose.

I don't see it.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
...

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,161
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
MIA ate CHI's lunch 2 seasons ago and they'd do the same if they met again.

Boozer is a liability defensively.... Noah is gimpy.... and CHI's SG spot is still suspect.

MIA's bench is better, Lebron is playing the best he ever has and Wade and Bosh are still better than anyone else on CHI outside of Rose.

I don't see it.
I'm talking about next season when Rose is healthy, as well as Noah and the rest of the roster. Butler has shown he can shut down Wade, Noah the same with Bosh, and CHI's 3 point defence is awesome. Lebron will get his, but I think Butlers growth and ability on both ends of the floor, as well as Boozer playing at the same level would put CHI over the top with a healthy Rose. A Rose/Butler/Deng/Boozer/Noah lineup is probably the most complete starting 5 in the NBA. Add in a bench with Nate/Hinrich/Gibson, they'd probably just need to add one more SG/SF to fill out their roster.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #36 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Maybe Curry's better than both? :jack:
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #37 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Maybe Curry's better than both? :jack:
Curry is better than both
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #38 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Curry is better than both
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
better than you

Senior Member
 
eazy187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 895
Representing:
Default

I take Rondo.

With what's been going on this season, it just seems like Rose has no heart. That would be a big factor for me. What's the use in having an elite player that won't play through injury? or isn't mentally tough enough to? That kind of thing is inevitable, especially with the type of basketball that Rose plays. If all the elite players refused to play until they were "110%" the NBA would be a terrible thing to watch.

:/
eazy187 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #40 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy187 View Post
it just seems like Rose has no heart.


Oh, and won't play through injury? Do you know what his injury is?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24