Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Player VP Evans: Hard cap not going to happen (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/player-vp-evans-hard-cap-not-going-happen-20117.html)

jeffb 04-28-2011 10:11 PM

Player VP Evans: Hard cap not going to happen
 
Quote:

National Basketball Players’ Association vice president Maurice Evans said players might be willing to relent on BRI, but do not intend to budge on a hard cap.

“In my opinion, the current deal we have now is actually working,” Evans said. “So if we can just work from there and try and figure out something that works for everybody… Again, we want to bargain with them. We don’t want to throw darts and say who is right and who is wrong. We just want to get a deal. There has to be some model that says this is how we do business and it’s consistent from here out. Tweak this, and work from there. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything more we can give and a hard cap is definitely not going to happen.”

The owners are also expected to push for reducing the length of guaranteed contracts, and limiting the guarantees on some deals, which Evans felt is unnecessary. “I don’t think there is nowhere to go from here,” he said. “Everything has gone down. We can’t continue to diminish the years of contracts. GMs and owners don’t have to sign players for those allotted number of years. We don’t need to self-govern them. Doesn’t make any sense.”

Quote:

Evans said the NBA players couldn’t surrender the progress of previous generations with the next collective bargaining agreement. The union is ready for a lengthy fight. “We’re prepared and we’ve prepared for this for a long while. So are the owners. I hope no one has been preparing with malicious intent, to try and prove a point and be spiteful. We’re just trying to get a deal. We want basketball and we want football and we want all sports to be, because it’s a part of our culture and it’s a part of the values.”

Maurice Evans optimistic NBA can avoid lengthy lockout - Wizards Insider - The Washington Post

Blaze 04-28-2011 10:55 PM

Guess theres not going to be franchise tag implemented in the NBA... really what's so bad about hard cap I don't understand and isn't it the leagues choice what cap to give a team not the players.

Don Vito 04-28-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze (Post 533969)
Guess theres not going to be franchise tag implemented in the NBA... really what's so bad about hard cap I don't understand and isn't it the leagues choice what cap to give a team not the players.

Hard cap in the NBA = fail. Say goodbye to teams like OKC in a couple years.

ClingRap 04-29-2011 01:46 AM

I really see a lockout coming. Not to say that I'm an arbiter of what makes and breaks a bad contract, but from the owner's perspective, there's simply too much risk for overpaying for a guy. I just don't see them budging on this point. Especially with the economy going the way it is.
A hard cap is an interesting theory, but it all depends on where they set it. If it tends to be on the low end, then it means you have to be creative in trades, and building through the draft. You can't just say, "hey we have beaches and hundreds of millions of dollars, come play here."
Plus I'm not so sure a hard cap hurts OKC. Please explain what you mean.

fk24 04-29-2011 03:03 AM

Players union is drinking some Kool Aid.

b55bgc 04-29-2011 09:07 AM

exactly, with a hard cap. wouldnt it promote teams like OKC. And prevent teams like the lakers, celtics, and heat.

Naj_Irban 04-29-2011 09:20 AM

I think he means that the hard cap is not happening soo... say goodbye to OKC

Renihan_00 04-29-2011 10:34 AM

I think a hard cap will happen. :cookie:

INSIDER 04-29-2011 10:43 AM

i hope a hard cap happens.
teams like us need it.... i dont give a shit about OKC.

b55bgc 04-29-2011 10:43 AM

A Hard Cap needs to happen. If they wanna promote stability and equality within the league a hard cap needs to happen.
I think it will increase viewership as well. People are sick of seeing the celtics, spurs, lakers in the finals everyyear. Now add the heat to that as well.

Claudius 04-29-2011 12:47 PM

What would you want to see more?

A hard cap or the game ref'd consistently and no more 'superstar' or 'phantom' calls. Equality across the board.

I know which I'd want.

Bill Haverchuck 04-29-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 533971)
Hard cap in the NBA = fail. Say goodbye to teams like OKC in a couple years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClingRap (Post 533989)
Plus I'm not so sure a hard cap hurts OKC. Please explain what you mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b55bgc (Post 534001)
exactly, with a hard cap. wouldnt it promote teams like OKC. And prevent teams like the lakers, celtics, and heat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naj_Irban (Post 534004)
I think he means that the hard cap is not happening soo... say goodbye to OKC

Since Don Vito didn't respond, I'm going to add a perspective.

Some people think that the hard cap could hurt OKC because it will make it difficult to retain all of the players it has been smart enough to draft/obtain. Durant is a max player, and Westbrook will probably be a one soon, too. With 2 max players on the books, a couple of years from now, it could be very hard to retain Ibaka, Perkins, and Harden. OKC has built a core the right way. They could lose it. It all depends on the stipulations of the hard cap.

I think that's the concern. Under the current system, a team like OKC still has the option to retain all its players, since they might be able to make extra revenue by going really deep in the playoffs. The option is there, if the team succeeds financially. A hard cap could take away that freedom.

Now, to be clear, I, personally, don't think they should avoid a hard cap just because it could hurt OKC. That's only one small market team. It's possible that a hard cap will be great for the overall health of the league. It depends on how it is structured.

On a related note, if they don't go with a hard cap, I'd like to see them alter the luxury tax. If you increase the luxury tax to 200%, 300% and 400% above particular levels, I think you can really hammer the teams that spend well above the tax. You could achieve something similar to a hard cap, while still affording teams some breathing room up to the luxury tax. Owners are going to think twice about stacking their bench when they are paying $8 million in tax for a $2 million dollar player.

LX 04-29-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck (Post 534070)
On a related note, if they don't go with a hard cap, I'd like to see them alter the luxury tax. If you increase the luxury tax to 200%, 300% and 400% above particular levels, I think you can really hammer the teams that spend well above the tax. You could achieve something similar to a hard cap, while still affording teams some breathing room up to the luxury tax. Owners are going to think twice about stacking their bench when they are paying $8 million in tax for a $2 million dollar player.

That'd be pretty cool. I just wonder if the idea of more parity is important enough for the owners to take a hit themselves, or if they are looking for the players to pay the full cost - in which case I would wonder if the idea of parity is really the important factor. There seems to be room for both sides to make sacrifices in order to strengthen the league and the game. It just doesn't look to be where things are going to go though.

Bill Haverchuck 04-29-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 534073)
There seems to be room for both sides to make sacrifices in order to strengthen the league and the game. It just doesn't look to be where things are going to go though.

Agreed.

Ligeia 04-29-2011 09:23 PM

If the intended goal is to ensure parity between small and large market teams, I fail to see how a hard cap will help. If you fix the salaries that each team can offer, then the deciding factor will be things that the large markets have a leg up on, like endorsements, entertainment, etc.

Also, the owners want the hard cap to protect themselves from themselves. They could easily have a de facto hard cap if they were all willing to stick to the goals they proclaim, but they aren't.

Bill Haverchuck 04-29-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligeia (Post 534150)
If the intended goal is to ensure parity between small and large market teams, I fail to see how a hard cap will help.

It depends on how the hard cap is structured and what type of exceptions, if any, accompany it. For example, it may be impossible for a team to have a Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom and a couple of respectable rotation players all on the same team. Or, it maybe be impossible to have a Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Rondo and several respectable rotation players all on the same team. That alone would make the league more competitive.

I do agree that it is not automatically a magic bullet. Without knowing all the accompanying regulations, especially potential exceptions to the cap, I don't think we can say anything definitively.

Personally, I prefer they just drastically alter the luxury tax.

Quote:

If you fix the salaries that each team can offer, then the deciding factor will be things that the large markets have a leg up on, like endorsements, entertainment, etc.
Isn't that the case now? You can never completely eliminate that. Except the potential difference with a hard cap is, a team can't stack its roster. If a high paid player wants to continue to earn a lot of money, there will be cases where he simply HAS to go to a smaller market. The other "attractive" teams will be capped out. And since you can't go above the cap, there will be fewer super teams that will be looking to do sign and trades. Imagine a $65 million ceiling on a hard cap. If you've got 2 max players on your team earning 18-20 million, how the hell can you afford to bring in a 3rd player earning that much? You'll have 3 all-stars and the rest of your roster is scrubs. It will be hard to compete like that. Maybe 1 team, like Miami, will manage to get away with it, but that's probably it. And Miami would still have a tough time. Currently Miami plans to build depth each year through the MLE. If that's gone, under a hard cap, even Miami could have a bit of trouble. They will always be relying on old vets for their bench.

Other teams with 1 max player + plus lots of depth should be able to compete better. And I would guess that a lot of the 2nd tier talent will spread out more, since those guys don't tend to have loads of money saved and won't usually take a $2-5 million paycut. I doubt guys like Odom, Rondo or Tony Parker will play for $4 million. Imagine if the league had a hard cap when Rondo, Odom and Parker were re-signed.

Just something to think about. Again, I concede that we can't say anything definitively without knowing the accompanying regulations to the hard cap. I'm talking more about what might be possible.

Quote:

Also, the owners want the hard cap to protect themselves from themselves. They could easily have a de facto hard cap if they were all willing to stick to the goals they proclaim, but they aren't.
True. They can be their own worst enemies, and certain agents are great at working them like puppets.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24