Paul George wants LeBron James as a mentor
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,602
Representing:
Pacers Paul George wants LeBron James as a mentor

Quote:
Pacers All-Star Paul George said he wanted to gain knowledge from the Heat's LeBron James. George is already among the NBA's best, but it's no surprise that he wants to get better.

"It would be great to be able to pick his brain, pick his mind and just talk about the game because I think he's a player that can help me get to the next level and continue to keep going to the next level. I wish some day we have that relationship where he is someone I can talk to—not during the season because I'm too competitive during the season—but maybe in the summertime."
George expanded on this a little more:

"He's someone that motivates me," said George, who is averaging 22.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game. "This league is all about guys being competitive and competing. And don't get me wrong, every time I'm matched up with him I'm going to try to get the best out of him and come out as the best player of that game. But at the same time, he's been someone that I looked up to. He's someone I'm going to continue to look up to because at the end of the day, the position I want to be in is where he's at."

When James was asked if he'd be open to being a mentor towards George the Heat All-Star responded by saying, "Absolutely."
Pacers links: Paul George wants LeBron James as a mentor
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
The Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,700
Representing:
Default

This is a prime reason why I'm getting sick of the NBA. Never did a player like Michael Jordan say "I want Larry Bird or Magic Johnson to be my mentor." The goal back in the day was to kick every player's ass, none of this bullshit buddy system.

It's quite sad that a player would want a selfish asshole like Lebron James to mentor him.
The Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,602
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
This is a prime reason why I'm getting sick of the NBA. Never did a player like Michael Jordan say "I want Larry Bird or Magic Johnson to be my mentor." The goal back in the day was to kick every player's ass, none of this bullshit buddy system.

It's quite sad that a player would want a selfish asshole like Lebron James to mentor him.
Isiah Thomas just said on NBA TV that he went to Bird and other Celts and Magic and some of the other Lakers for mentorship. He even sent Mighty Mouse to the Finals in his rookie season to be able to go and experience it and pick the brain's of the guys playing.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
elT
brainfarting keyboard eater

Dwane Casey kicks ass!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 562
Representing:
Default

Charles Barkley always mentions how Dr. J and Moses Malone and other veterans as his teammates in Philadelphia at the start of his career were crucial for his overall success in NBA. All the smarter, veteran guys are saying things like these because they've been there and they know the reality. The fans have these illusions of how things should be and these impossible to meet standards and expectations out of players that have little to do with reality.

Honestly, we should just look at our selves and think how big of a need for a mentor we have had at some point(s) in our career. And the truth is, George said all the right things and he needs a mentor right now. I don't like Paul George but I like what he said here.
elT is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,510
Representing:
Default

The question is why in gods name would LBJ help the main competitor in the east be better? I dont know what the answer is but its wrong thinking.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,304
Representing:
Default

absurd in my opinion. KD training with lebron is already pushing it, but this guy is asking for lebrons help smh
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Senior Member
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 9,935
Representing:
Default

i don't have a problem with it...in fact i applaud George for trying to find ways to become a better player

what i DO have a problem with is situations like Joakim Noah pitching the Chicago Bulls to Carmelo Anthony during all-star weekend

that's flat out collusion in my books
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
i don't have a problem with it...in fact i applaud George for trying to find ways to become a better player

what i DO have a problem with is situations like Joakim Noah pitching the Chicago Bulls to Carmelo Anthony during all-star weekend

that's flat out collusion in my books
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dCBJp6Dnc
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,077
Representing:
Default

I like the idea that players can work together to make the league as a whole more competitive. The closer the matchup between George and James, the more entertaining the Eastern Conference finals will be (ditto for NBA finals with Durant and James).
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Diamond In The Rough

Senior Member
 
The Diamond Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 2,700
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elT View Post
Charles Barkley always mentions how Dr. J and Moses Malone and other veterans as his teammates in Philadelphia at the start of his career were crucial for his overall success in NBA. All the smarter, veteran guys are saying things like these because they've been there and they know the reality. The fans have these illusions of how things should be and these impossible to meet standards and expectations out of players that have little to do with reality.

Honestly, we should just look at our selves and think how big of a need for a mentor we have had at some point(s) in our career. And the truth is, George said all the right things and he needs a mentor right now. I don't like Paul George but I like what he said here.
The key word you used when describing Barkley's experience was TEAMMATES. I have no problem with learning how to become a better player working on your game with a teammate's help like Duncan with Robinson. But to simply want a player from another team to help guide you on becoming a better player is fucking ridiculous. George has one of the top 10 greatest players ever in Larry Bird sitting in the Pacers front office, who could easily help him with this game so why isn't he asking Bird to mentor him?
The Diamond Scorpion is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
The key word you used when describing Barkley's experience was TEAMMATES. I have no problem with learning how to become a better player working on your game with a teammate's help like Duncan with Robinson. But to simply want a player from another team to help guide you on becoming a better player is fucking ridiculous. George has one of the top 10 greatest players ever in Larry Bird sitting in the Pacers front office, who could easily help him with this game so why isn't he asking Bird to mentor him?
Lol so ridiculous it funny really.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,765
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Scorpion View Post
The key word you used when describing Barkley's experience was TEAMMATES. I have no problem with learning how to become a better player working on your game with a teammate's help like Duncan with Robinson. But to simply want a player from another team to help guide you on becoming a better player is fucking ridiculous. George has one of the top 10 greatest players ever in Larry Bird sitting in the Pacers front office, who could easily help him with this game so why isn't he asking Bird to mentor him?
This is true. But Lebron is better than Larry Bird. Lebron could be the 2nd best player to play in the NBA IMO where as Bird arguably a top 6-7 talent.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
This is true. But Lebron is better than Larry Bird. Lebron could be the 2nd best player to play in the NBA IMO where as Bird arguably a top 6-7 talent.
I think lebron by the end of his career could be the best to have ever played. He's just so imposing..
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,109
Representing:
Default

I think he just see's Lebron in a different light than the viewers do. He goes face to face with the best in the game multiple times in the season, and post season. Of course anyone who wants to be great would want to get to know them better and watch how hard the practice/training regimes. KD does it during the off season, and isn't buddy buddy at all when they play.

Quote:
I wish some day we have that relationship where he is someone I can talk to—not during the season because I'm too competitive during the season—but maybe in the summertime."
0nekhmer is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
This is true. But Lebron is better than Larry Bird. Lebron could be the 2nd best player to play in the NBA IMO where as Bird arguably a top 6-7 talent.
But its not the end of his career yet, hes not a better coach than Bird, a better exec GM or executive, is 25 years younger, way less expereinced in everything to do with life and would hardly make a better mentor than Larry Bird. If he wants LBJ as a coach and its only about his game, then I argue there are better coaches out there and you don't have to be the best player to be a better coach, see Krzyzewski.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,137
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

The only thing I have a problem with is that it is public. George and LBJ can hang out together all they like on their time. It is a conflict of interest for both teams if it is public.

Is this the new "Facebook Status Update" generation thing? You have to tell everyone your every thought and intention?
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

its paul george. he can do what he wants lol
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24