Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   OKC leadership debate. (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/okc-leadership-debate-20352.html)

Scully 05-27-2011 02:20 PM

OKC leadership debate.
 
Bill Simmons was talking about this yesterday. Whether the Thunder should switch there focus next season, from a offense designed around Durant to one in which Westbrooke was the focal point. Simmons logic being he was inevitably going to be the more dominate player. concluding he moves to the 2 allowing room for a vet Pg to actually run the offense. Thoughts? Who would rather have as your first option?

Chiggmo 05-27-2011 02:24 PM

Durant without question. Westbrook is way too inconsistent. Personally I'd shop Westbrook and see what I could get

Bill Haverchuck 05-27-2011 02:37 PM

Right now, in my opinion

Durant > Westbrook

However, if Westbrook really worked hard on his outside shooting, maybe he becomes just as lethal of an offensive player. Maybe. He's an amazing athlete who puts a lot of pressure on the defense, but that outside shot needs work. He's still young. Lots of time for improvement.

Northern Neighbour 05-27-2011 02:37 PM

Keep both players and start Harden. Westbrook and Harden could share ballhandling duties, as both have the ability to distribute and create.

Bill Haverchuck 05-27-2011 02:47 PM

Edit - someone already addressed it

jeffb 05-27-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiggmo (Post 543246)
Durant without question. Westbrook is way too inconsistent. Personally I'd shop Westbrook and see what I could get

He's 22yrs old. No way in hell would i shop him. He just averaged 21/8 this season and was a big reason they went to the conference finals. No way you give up on that imo.

MARTYNAS 05-27-2011 03:06 PM

Westbrook is hysterical. He is point guard who takes 25 shots per game... Durant never been used 100%. Westbrook is a good player but he is bad playmaker.

jeffb 05-27-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTYNAS (Post 543256)
Westbrook is hysterical. He is point guard who takes 25 shots per game... Durant never been used 100%. Westbrook is a good player but he is bad playmaker.

So 8 assists per game while taking 13 shots per game (far from 25) @ 22yrs old and you're willing to label him a bad playmaker? During the playoffs he took 20 shots per game while averaging 6.5apg. And to say Durant is used 100% is an assinine comment... The guy averaged 20 shots per game during the season, and 20 shots per game in the playoffs.

MoneyCarlos 05-27-2011 03:25 PM

westbrook has 0 basketball IQ :police:

Blaze 05-27-2011 04:28 PM

Hell no, this will be the end of OKC. What OKC needs is to keep Westbrook in check. He needs to understand, he's not the best player on the team and he's Durants sidekick. His success went to his head, and although he's a very good player, he's not even in Durants class.

th3answ3r 05-27-2011 04:54 PM

They should bench this guy until he decides to use his head.

Scully 05-27-2011 05:20 PM

The most interesting thing about this is if you do move Westbrooke to the 2 you get him way better looks in the half court. If he is coming off a screen he will get so many open looks both going in to the paint and popping for 12-18 footers. And you get the ball out of his hands when you need a calm response. The only way I see this team moving to the next level is through the 1 spot. It doesn't even need to be any one that great, first and foremost a proper facilitator and if he can shoot 28%-30% from three all the better. I they wouldn't even need to give up one of their big three. You could get somebody who fits the bill by packaging Thabo and Nate and you still have Maynor as back up.

Bill Haverchuck 05-27-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scully (Post 543291)
The most interesting thing about this is if you do move Westbrooke to the 2 you get him way better looks in the half court. If he is coming off a screen he will get so many open looks both going in to the paint and popping for 12-18 footers. And you get the ball out of his hands when you need a calm response. The only way I see this team moving to the next level is through the 1 spot. It doesn't even need to be any one that great, first and foremost a proper facilitator and if he can shoot 28%-30% from three all the better. I they wouldn't even need to give up one of their big three. You could get somebody who fits the bill by packaging Thabo and Nate and you still have Maynor as back up.

Bringing in a new PG, if he is a starter, could be problematic. It's probably in OKC's best interests to start Harden next year. If you bring in a new PG and move Westbrook to the 2 spot, then what do you do with Harden? Are you going to play Harden at the 3 and Durant at the 4? That's too small of a lineup. So, if they bring in a new PG, I suppose that means Harden plays fewer minutes for another season. In the short term, that might not be too big of a deal, I guess. But at some point, at least, Harden will need to start, and when he does, OKC will be faced with the problem of where to play these guys.

Whatever OKC decides to do next year, they better spend considerable time thinking about the implications so that they avoid messing with things too much and risk taking a small step backwards.

bjjs 05-27-2011 08:06 PM

OKC looked far more composed with Maynard running the point and Westbrook at the two.

Westbrook and Durant need to get in to some one on one battles. I think they each they think they are the best player on the team. That needs to be settled for them to move on.

th3answ3r 05-27-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjs (Post 543318)
OKC looked far more composed with Maynard running the point and Westbrook at the two.

Westbrook and Durant need to get in to some one on one battles. I think they each they think they are the best player on the team. That needs to be settled for them to move on.

they don't need to settle it. FACT: durant is better than this guy. if he doesn't know by now, nothing can be done. you notice that he doesn't take the last second shots anymore that he used to jack.

Ligeia 05-27-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjs (Post 543318)
OKC looked far more composed with Maynard running the point and Westbrook at the two.

Westbrook and Durant need to get in to some one on one battles. I think they each they think they are the best player on the team. That needs to be settled for them to move on.

If you believe the local press, Westbrook is the baby brother of the team who has a very brief but explosive temper. I don't think there is any issue with them playing together.

If I were to summarize the problems, I would say it is more complex and looks like this:

1) Westbrook is a young player who is not great at distributing outside of set plays,
2) Durant is not in motion often enough and is not very good at using screens yet,
3) The team and coach are young and inexperienced. They often fail to call or fail to execute a set play when they really need it. If you leave a team with an average age of ~24 to run on its own, you should not be surprised when your 22 year old PG turns the ball over a few times against a top-tier defense in the most pressure-filled games of the season.




I think everyone should relax, take a breath, and stop trying to make drama where there is none.

Bill Haverchuck 05-27-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligeia (Post 543329)
If you believe the local press, Westbrook is the baby brother of the team who has a very brief but explosive temper. I don't think there is any issue with them playing together.

If I were to summarize the problems, I would say it is more complex and looks like this:

1) Westbrook is a young player who is not great at distributing outside of set plays,
2) Durant is not in motion often enough and is not very good at using screens yet,
3) The team and coach are young and inexperienced. They often fail to call or fail to execute a set play when they really need it. If you leave a team with an average age of ~24 to run on its own, you should not be surprised when your 22 year old PG turns the ball over a few times against a top-tier defense in the most pressure-filled games of the season.




I think everyone should relax, take a breath, and stop trying to make drama where there is none.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...pet/rvlea8.gif

Chiggmo 05-27-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 543252)
He's 22yrs old. No way in hell would i shop him. He just averaged 21/8 this season and was a big reason they went to the conference finals. No way you give up on that imo.

I'd at least see what kind of offer would be out there.

th3answ3r 05-27-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligeia (Post 543329)
If you believe the local press, Westbrook is the baby brother of the team who has a very brief but explosive temper. I don't think there is any issue with them playing together.

If I were to summarize the problems, I would say it is more complex and looks like this:

1) Westbrook is a young player who is not great at distributing outside of set plays,
2) Durant is not in motion often enough and is not very good at using screens yet,
3) The team and coach are young and inexperienced. They often fail to call or fail to execute a set play when they really need it. If you leave a team with an average age of ~24 to run on its own, you should not be surprised when your 22 year old PG turns the ball over a few times against a top-tier defense in the most pressure-filled games of the season.




I think everyone should relax, take a breath, and stop trying to make drama where there is none.

westbrok has problems mentally. ive never seen somebody take that many shots and turn down their superstar. bring the ball up the court, and give it to the star in crunch time.

MARTYNAS 05-27-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 543260)
So 8 assists per game while taking 13 shots per game (far from 25) @ 22yrs old and you're willing to label him a bad playmaker? During the playoffs he took 20 shots per game while averaging 6.5apg. And to say Durant is used 100% is an assinine comment... The guy averaged 20 shots per game during the season, and 20 shots per game in the playoffs.

assists doesn't prove he is a good play maker. He has the ball in his hands, he is PG. He should create for others, or just try. Look, he had 343 FGA this post season in 638 minutes. Durant in the other hand 345 FGA in 722 minutes. So actually, Westbrook took more shots per minute, way more...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24