NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,116
Representing:
Kings NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident

(Reuters) - Sacramento Kings guard-forward Francisco Garcia has filed a federal lawsuit against the maker of an exercise ball he blames for a 2009 weightlifting accident that left him with a broken arm.

NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident | Reuters
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,313
Representing:
Default

Lol in NBA 2k11 the commentators reference the incident when the exercise ball popped when Gracia was lifting 90 pound dumbbells.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,780
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
Lol in NBA 2k11 the commentators reference the incident when the exercise ball popped when Gracia was lifting 90 pound dumbbells.
Yep...don't think it was meant to be used in the manner Garcia was using it.

However it could be the McDonalds coffee incident all over again...because McD's didn't disclaim 'caution, extremely hot' on the cup and some idiot drives with the cup in his lap, burns himself, sues and wins huge $$$$ cause the consumer didn't use common sense. In this case, exercise ball manufacturers will have to disclaim - do not use while benching 2 x 90lb dumbells giving you a combined weight of 380+lbs which is not meant for a vinyl ball dumbass.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,978
Representing:
Default

LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,313
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Yep...don't think it was meant to be used in the manner Garcia was using it.

However it could be the McDonalds coffee incident all over again...because McD's didn't disclaim 'caution, extremely hot' on the cup and some idiot drives with the cup in his lap, burns himself, sues and wins huge $$$$ cause the consumer didn't use common sense. In this case, exercise ball manufacturers will have to disclaim - do not use while benching 2 x 90lb dumbells giving you a combined weight of 380+lbs which is not meant for a vinyl ball dumbass.
The ball advertised having a 600 pound capacity.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,780
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
The ball advertised having a 600 pound capacity.
Now now there are so many factors that could come into play....over inflation, under inflation, age of the ball, puncture, excessive stress of hitting or nearing the max weight....I'm sure others have used it and if I can lift 90lbs dumbbells I'm sure they have used more, etc, etc, etc.

In the end it's a ball of air encased in plastic....seriously, if you push the limit you have incidents like this.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,323
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Now now there are so many factors that could come into play....over inflation, under inflation, age of the ball, puncture, excessive stress of hitting or nearing the max weight....I'm sure others have used it and if I can lift 90lbs dumbbells I'm sure they have used more, etc, etc, etc.

In the end it's a ball of air encased in plastic....seriously, if you push the limit you have incidents like this.
True, but if the ball is susceptible to fatigue, weakening its strength over time, that is something the engineers designing it would know and include in the acceptable weight limit. Age of the item or 'nearing' the weight limit would not hold up in court as reasons to discredit his claim, if it is not clearly stated either in the manual that comes with the ball or on the ball itself that that constitutes a danger.

Simply put, the exercise ball was being used for exercise, so unless he exceeded the weight limit or specifically misused the ball based on restrictions listed in the documentation that comes with purchase of the ball, he has a very strong case.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,116
Representing:
Default

Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
dollar dollar bills yall

Member
 
JayJayW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 416
Representing:
Default

Some People go to europe, others file law suits, times are tough lol
JayJayW is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

It doesn't sound like Garcia did anything dumb there. It's a standard exercise. Yes he used impressive weights but he was still way under the limits. I'd sue them too. Heck, even if I didn't get hurt, I'd still be pretty pissed.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,563
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
That was cool! Wish I could do that...
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24