Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/nba-player-sues-exercise-ball-maker-over-accident-21083.html)

Toby 09-15-2011 06:57 AM

NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident
 
(Reuters) - Sacramento Kings guard-forward Francisco Garcia has filed a federal lawsuit against the maker of an exercise ball he blames for a 2009 weightlifting accident that left him with a broken arm.

NBA player sues exercise ball maker over accident | Reuters

Nites 09-15-2011 07:57 AM

Lol in NBA 2k11 the commentators reference the incident when the exercise ball popped when Gracia was lifting 90 pound dumbbells.

DocHoliday99 09-15-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007nites (Post 571468)
Lol in NBA 2k11 the commentators reference the incident when the exercise ball popped when Gracia was lifting 90 pound dumbbells.

Yep...don't think it was meant to be used in the manner Garcia was using it.

However it could be the McDonalds coffee incident all over again...because McD's didn't disclaim 'caution, extremely hot' on the cup and some idiot drives with the cup in his lap, burns himself, sues and wins huge $$$$ cause the consumer didn't use common sense. In this case, exercise ball manufacturers will have to disclaim - do not use while benching 2 x 90lb dumbells giving you a combined weight of 380+lbs which is not meant for a vinyl ball dumbass.

LX 09-15-2011 07:32 PM


Nites 09-16-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 571517)
Yep...don't think it was meant to be used in the manner Garcia was using it.

However it could be the McDonalds coffee incident all over again...because McD's didn't disclaim 'caution, extremely hot' on the cup and some idiot drives with the cup in his lap, burns himself, sues and wins huge $$$$ cause the consumer didn't use common sense. In this case, exercise ball manufacturers will have to disclaim - do not use while benching 2 x 90lb dumbells giving you a combined weight of 380+lbs which is not meant for a vinyl ball dumbass.

The ball advertised having a 600 pound capacity.

DocHoliday99 09-16-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007nites (Post 571627)
The ball advertised having a 600 pound capacity.

Now now there are so many factors that could come into play....over inflation, under inflation, age of the ball, puncture, excessive stress of hitting or nearing the max weight....I'm sure others have used it and if I can lift 90lbs dumbbells I'm sure they have used more, etc, etc, etc.

In the end it's a ball of air encased in plastic....seriously, if you push the limit you have incidents like this.

DanH 09-16-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 571668)
Now now there are so many factors that could come into play....over inflation, under inflation, age of the ball, puncture, excessive stress of hitting or nearing the max weight....I'm sure others have used it and if I can lift 90lbs dumbbells I'm sure they have used more, etc, etc, etc.

In the end it's a ball of air encased in plastic....seriously, if you push the limit you have incidents like this.

True, but if the ball is susceptible to fatigue, weakening its strength over time, that is something the engineers designing it would know and include in the acceptable weight limit. Age of the item or 'nearing' the weight limit would not hold up in court as reasons to discredit his claim, if it is not clearly stated either in the manual that comes with the ball or on the ball itself that that constitutes a danger.

Simply put, the exercise ball was being used for exercise, so unless he exceeded the weight limit or specifically misused the ball based on restrictions listed in the documentation that comes with purchase of the ball, he has a very strong case.

Toby 09-16-2011 07:36 PM


JayJayW 09-17-2011 03:58 PM

Some People go to europe, others file law suits, times are tough lol

ValanciunasFanboy 09-17-2011 06:12 PM

It doesn't sound like Garcia did anything dumb there. It's a standard exercise. Yes he used impressive weights but he was still way under the limits. I'd sue them too. Heck, even if I didn't get hurt, I'd still be pretty pissed.

Chiggmo 09-18-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 571572)

That was cool!:dancing: Wish I could do that...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24