My Rant on the World of Sports.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default My Rant on the World of Sports.

If you guys think one bit that theres nothing going behind the scenes in sports im so disapointed in you guys. Because you guys watch these games alot. I really wanted to talk about this in a future sports debate project but heck this will give me an idea of what you guys think.

These professional sports leagues are what? Franchises, Companies, organizations whatever you want to call them. What are they selling product wise? The way I see it, they are not selling a product. They are selling a service, a service that presents fans like us the manner of the game.

This service plays with peoples hearts and mind. Fans are loyalists to these organizations and will empty their pockets year after year giving them that ambition to supremacy, but in the end 97% of the organizations fail, 97% of these loyalist are heartbroken but you get the same answer from them always when they get the intuition of failure.

"There will always be Next Year"

Organizations gives the fans/media/the world excuses (injuries is the one that is used the most). That is why I think alot of injuries are staged, injury is an excellent excuse from a loser. Now don't get me wrong, I am not stating all injuries are shady

Some of us dont care, some of us just laugh and make fun of the organization. But the word I love to use is Loyalists, the passionate fans. They believe it. Some people are addicted to drugs, gambling, sex, alcohol. Addiction = Renvenue. There is no arguement that to some, sports is addiction.

Last edited by iRaptor; 09-17-2009 at 11:57 AM.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Well young man, you're certainly on the right track.

However, think of it this way. The League is a corporation. It governs over Franchises it allows to be a part of its organization, and operate under it's trademarked name, i.e. the NBA.

Franchises are basically retail stores, they provide a service. In the NBA's case, that service is the entertainmant of sport.

The Individual franchises have everything to gain from succeeding, as the gate and popularity fill thier pockets. The League however, needs to be homogeniously strong to see true revenue, and they also need to perpetuate a few major stars to keep up internation and domestic interest in thier product lest it fade out and become extinct.

So what this means is that injuries are likely real, as a hurt player will hurt the individual owned franchise. But Zoning rights for moving teams, officiating, media attention, actual new franchise location, television, and fair or unfair scheduling are all maniputlatable, and could in fact be used to maximise over all league profits, or specific Franchise owners profits should the league wish to go this route.

I for one an strongly in favor of the thoery the leagues do this regularily, and this is the sad part of pro sport. If you live in Toronto, you'll never, EVER be thrown a bone by the NBA brass.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,025
Representing:
Default

Although officiating is maniputlatable, I think the idea that it happens stems from paranoid conspiracy theorists. On the off chance that some decent evidence surfaced to show the NBA was medling in the outcome of games, it would cost everyone involved far more than whatever gains would come from intervening in the outcomes.

It's just not worth it.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Although officiating is maniputlatable, I think the idea that it happens stems from paranoid conspiracy theorists. On the off chance that some decent evidence surfaced to show the NBA was medling in the outcome of games, it would cost everyone involved far more than whatever gains would come from intervening in the outcomes.

It's just not worth it.
I'm not talking about the conspiracy of the games. I am talking about injuries in particular.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,025
Representing:
Default

Staging injuries is silly.
I would be befuddled if teams were staging injuries to give their fans an excuse for not winning the championship.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Bjjs.

I wouldnt be so certain man, honestly.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

The injury thing seems a total conspiracy to me and very difficult to believe.

I think certain and more subtle things could be well orchestrated by the league - i.e. the draft lottery, the schedule, but not the injuries or the officiating.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

I can't wait till the raptor season. I hope these threads don't go away cause i'm calling it right now. Depending on how much they lose or a period of a season where they are looking like they are not going to make the playoffs. Someone is going to get injuried. I'm thinking it is Bosh or turk. This organization is not going to accept failure without an excuse (this season). Stamp it folks
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Until evidence is actually given, I can't buy the theory that "injuries" are faked. There's no evidence to support it really.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Until evidence is actually given, I can't buy the theory that "injuries" are faked. There's no evidence to support it really.
How the hell are we suppose to seek evidence in this matter? It's impossible unless the players admit it. Just wait till the raptor season, like I said I'm calling it. Hope you will believe it then. But if we make the playoffs then good for the organization.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3


 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Bilderberg group covertly runs the world, population control is in effect, 911 was an inside job, it wasn't Oswalt, players don't stage injuries though. Players definately do milk injuries, but you can't tell me that someone who has worked remarkably hard to get to the NBA is going to willingly sit because some suit tells him to and tosses him a bonus. An NBA career is too short and players are too engaged to the fans. All a facade?..Not likely, players are not actors. Think these guys go to Read to Achieve events, look at the happy faces, and think to themselves "I can't wait to pretend to sprain my ankle and get a break from this". I'll wait for the tell all book. There would be certainly be one written by now, some resentful ex-player looking for attention. People come out with books regarding the serious spectrum of politics, why not the NBA. Are they afraid of the NBA's disinformation squad?

I agree that franchises are merely retail stores. The business side is clearly questionable. And people who rely on sports for their main source of happiness do have a problem. But sports do act as a great distraction from all the strife and atrocities that plague this world.
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,741
Representing:
Default

2 words: Elton Brand
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaptor View Post
How the hell are we suppose to seek evidence in this matter? It's impossible unless the players admit it. Just wait till the raptor season, like I said I'm calling it. Hope you will believe it then. But if we make the playoffs then good for the organization.
If you can't provide evidence then all it is, is conjecture.

You've admitted you're a fan. By giving yourself this cushion to land on, you're protecting yourself from the reality that if this team doesn't make it to the playoffs, it isn't the teams fault, rather it's a third party that's harming it.

Wouldn't it make MORE sense, from the perspective of the NBA, to simply have the team make the playoffs, therefore increasing its reach in Canada? Wouldn't it make more sense, for a league that has global aspirations, to have a model international team that's doing well both in the standings and in the gates?

By having this mystical third party, you're essentially saying that the NBA or whomever, is happy having the Raptors as misfits, when all the evidence points to that not being the case. Hell, it was David Stern who aided us in getting Colangelo.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

it's not that silly Claudius, this isn't Austin Powers.

But I'm sure you understand how franchise/ distribution situations are run in large corporations. I have personally been involved in it on many occasions. The Main guys are more than happy to bend rules, and shift resources, make promises and do backroom deals that hurt some franchises but benefit others.

It's business, and it happens in the NBA.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
If you can't provide evidence then all it is, is conjecture.

You've admitted you're a fan. By giving yourself this cushion to land on, you're protecting yourself from the reality that if this team doesn't make it to the playoffs, it isn't the teams fault, rather it's a third party that's harming it.

Wouldn't it make MORE sense, from the perspective of the NBA, to simply have the team make the playoffs, therefore increasing its reach in Canada? Wouldn't it make more sense, for a league that has global aspirations, to have a model international team that's doing well both in the standings and in the gates?

By having this mystical third party, you're essentially saying that the NBA or whomever, is happy having the Raptors as misfits, when all the evidence points to that not being the case. Hell, it was David Stern who aided us in getting Colangelo.
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? This doesn't have to do with a
3rd party. This has to do with organizations, 3rd is involved (NBA), by standing by these organizations. Why? The Mula, the bread, the dough, the luchie. Yea Dig? Proly not, your not getting the debate, your just stating random strong points of yours. This doesn't have everything to do with raptors, this has 3% to do with the raptors, the other 97% are the other 29 NBA teams.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneironaught View Post
Bilderberg group covertly runs the world, population control is in effect, 911 was an inside job, it wasn't Oswalt, players don't stage injuries though. Players definately do milk injuries, but you can't tell me that someone who has worked remarkably hard to get to the NBA is going to willingly sit because some suit tells him to and tosses him a bonus. An NBA career is too short and players are too engaged to the fans. All a facade?..Not likely, players are not actors. Think these guys go to Read to Achieve events, look at the happy faces, and think to themselves "I can't wait to pretend to sprain my ankle and get a break from this". I'll wait for the tell all book. There would be certainly be one written by now, some resentful ex-player looking for attention. People come out with books regarding the serious spectrum of politics, why not the NBA. Are they afraid of the NBA's disinformation squad?

I agree that franchises are merely retail stores. The business side is clearly questionable. And people who rely on sports for their main source of happiness do have a problem. But sports do act as a great distraction from all the strife and atrocities that plague this world.
I don't think there has been ever a Nba player who throw away his whole career for money and an excuse for an organization. Do I think an nba player has done it for a couple of months or even a year? HELL YES! Read to Achive events have nothing to do with this btw. Don't worry I will write a book on this soon, maybe raptorsforum can help me financially =D
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaptor View Post
Don't worry I will write a book on this soon, maybe raptorsforum can help me financially =D
Unless your willing to accepted "belly button lint" in lieu of money we definitely can't help you out financially.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaptor View Post
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? This doesn't have to do with a
3rd party. This has to do with organizations, 3rd is involved (NBA), by standing by these organizations. Why? The Mula, the bread, the dough, the luchie. Yea Dig? Proly not, your not getting the debate, your just stating random strong points of yours. This doesn't have everything to do with raptors, this has 3% to do with the raptors, the other 97% are the other 29 NBA teams.
You brought in the Raptors sir. When you said "when" we make the playoffs. That we'll see, etc. You inferred the Raptors actually when you mention "bosh or turk". So, again, how could I NOT apply the Raptors to your point then? Hell, you were the one to post on the Raptors first. I just kind of took it as an example.

Basically what you are saying is that behind sports, there's a seperate entity. You further state that that there a fan "loyalists" or a culture of fandom that when lose, state there will always be next year. Next, you key in on the key concept of injuries, however that some injuries are purposefully orchestrated to serve "a greater good".

That's your point summed up in a nutshell.

I countered your point. You've proceeded to attempt to attack my position with some random thoughts. At no point in your initial post do you say "this has to deal with money". Yes, it may be implied, but I also stated that point in my last post where I discussed that as a global entity, the NBA or even the team would rather make money as a successful franchise. To simply say, that well, we're going to "stage" an injury and walk out on money is ludricous. No self respecting business man would do that. No, if you were to come to me and say that one owner of a team, went to a player or coach and told that individual to harm the star player of the other squad because something was a stake, yeah, then I'd believe you because that happens often.

But I guess, when I've refuted your point with logic, it's hard to counter.

To SJ:

I understand the comparison and on the whole it isn't that outrageous. However, the difference between large multinationals and the NBA is that the NBA must be run transparent. Thing about the different amount of owners its history has seen, all the individuals involved in the hierarchy that would be privy to this knowledge and that would have to be then sufficiently silenced. In a multinational, its easier to silence critics as the public itself has no large stake, unless you're a shareholder. In the NBA, the shareholders are millions. In a multinational, they may be thousands and even when things do become public, society has shown that they could care less (e.g. Nike, GAP, etc.)
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
To SJ:

Thing about the different amount of owners its history has seen, all the individuals involved in the hierarchy that would be privy to this knowledge and that would have to be then sufficiently silenced. (e.g. Nike, GAP, etc.)
Sooo...... you're not paying attention to the NHL right now?

Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
the NBA or even the team would rather make money as a successful franchise. To simply say, that well, we're going to "stage" an injury and walk out on money is ludricous. No self respecting business man would do that. No, if you were to come to me and say that one owner of a team, went to a player or coach and told that individual to harm the star player of the other squad because something was a stake, yeah, then I'd believe you because that happens often.

But I guess, when I've refuted your point with logic, it's hard to counter.

I'm glad we are making progress in our arguement but again your counter is not only pale and thin but also very much not convincable. A organization or nba would rather make money as a successful franchise.....Really? No way Captain obvious! Dude come on for the last time thats not even what its about.

Has there ever been a team in the history of the NBA that has been projected to make the playoffs, and not, then accept the fact that they failed? That they just plain sucked? I very much don't think SO! There's always that comment added "we weren't healthy". That comment makes me fucking sick. I am trying to state that injuries are staged so the organization (which falls under Coaches/players/GM) don't take the heat and keep their bloody jobs!, to keep the loyalists coming! You know what, as i'm writing this how the heck can I forget? Coach/GM firing! There is no doubt that losing a coach and/or GM will effect the team on the basketball court. But to me it's just another one of those excuses thats on the list.

Claudis let me ask you this, so you think every single injury is not staged and absolutely 100% for real? Your telling me Lebron going to cleveland?, patrick to knicks?, rose to chicago? Like what do you have to say about that? That the "ping pong balls" bounced in the organizations favour? The "ping pong" balls that weren't even drawed live were just luck?!?!? Please explain.

one of my favorite which is not a conspiracy anymore, it's now evidence and definitly gives the world a belief in conspiracy.


Last edited by iRaptor; 09-18-2009 at 03:29 AM.
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant: Exams and Christianity zachus The Podium 26 04-11-2009 09:44 AM
A rant.... Claudius Entertainment Lounge 20 03-29-2009 11:44 PM
if my name was Reni, I would rant right now MetaLRasaM Toronto Raptors 22 12-30-2008 01:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24