Metta World Peace Flagrant 2 Foul on James Harden - Page 4

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > NBA Talk

View Poll Results: How many games should he be suspended for?
0 0 0%
1-3 6 13.95%
4-6 6 13.95%
6+(post how many) 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #61 (permalink)
representing the Big Land

basketball is life
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 1,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I think 7 games is good.

The "viciousness" of the blow is subjective. If he was suspended 10...20...30 games the league would be setting a precedent that any blow to the head could warrant the same suspension.
A purposely placed blow to the head like that should warrant that magnitude of suspension bro.
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

7 games is alright considering Harden isn't injured because of it. or doesn't look to be.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #63 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,723
Representing:
Default

It wasn't purposely placed.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #64 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,761
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
7 games is alright considering Harden isn't injured because of it. or doesn't look to be.
Illogical statement. So now we encourage this sort of behaviour with a weak suspension just because the guy didn't get too hurt this time?

Penalize the action, not the consequences. I personally don't want the league to wait until something terrible happens to address this sort of idiocy.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #65 (permalink)
representing the Big Land

basketball is life
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 1,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex
7 games is alright considering Harden isn't injured because of it. or doesn't look to be.
He has a concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs
It wasn't purposely placed.
I'm under the impression that it was by no means an accident. If he accidently hit Harden then there would have been some kind of reaction on his part. I think he just got caught in the moment and acted like an idiot which he is famous for.
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #66 (permalink)
representing the Big Land

basketball is life
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 1,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Illogical statement. So now we encourage this sort of behaviour with a weak suspension just because the guy didn't get too hurt this time?

Penalize the action, not the consequences. I personally don't want the league to wait until something terrible happens to address this sort of idiocy.
Very good point.
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,362
Representing:
Default

Toby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #68 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Illogical statement. So now we encourage this sort of behaviour with a weak suspension just because the guy didn't get too hurt this time?

Penalize the action, not the consequences. I personally don't want the league to wait until something terrible happens to address this sort of idiocy.
thats the way they look at it. there is a base suspension of x amount games + added time for the seriousness of their injury.

i think if a player causes an injury he shouldn't come back until the other player can play + however many games they want to add
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #69 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
7 games is alright considering Harden isn't injured because of it. or doesn't look to be.
I guess a concussion isn't an injury anymore. And really who cares, the action could have caused a lot of damage. It's like saying don't penalize a drunk driver if he doesn't cause damage + injury or death. It's wreckless behaviour that could lead to serious injury and sorry but it was on purpose.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #70 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,686
Representing:
Default

intentionality with ron-ron is always in question. i'm not so sure that things like this pass through a decision-making phase in his brain. he just reacts, which is exactly what makes him dangerous. when he keeps it in check he's (as kobe described) a sweet guy who doesn't want to cause harm. but he can't always keep in in check, which means he has the potential to hurt someone.

did he intend to hurt harden? probably not. but that's still no excuse for not being able to control himself. and that's not 'temporary insanity' as described by an artest defender. that's just basic impulse control. i expect more from my 2.5 year old.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #71 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I guess a concussion isn't an injury anymore. And really who cares, the action could have caused a lot of damage. It's like saying don't penalize a drunk driver if he doesn't cause damage + injury or death. It's wreckless behaviour that could lead to serious injury and sorry but it was on purpose.
How do you know he was drunk before he started driving?

carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
Representing:
Default

I think 7 games is fair. If it happened a few weeks ago, that would have been 10.6% of his salary or a $720,000 fine. Since it's playoffs, it won't actually affect his pay that much.
d00little is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #73 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
I think 7 games is fair. If it happened a few weeks ago, that would have been 10.6% of his salary or a $720,000 fine. Since it's playoffs, it won't actually affect his pay that much.
I believe it was Bucher that reported every missed game surrenders 1/110th of your salary, so playoff games will in fact be treated as regular season games would be in terms of deducted pay. It was in a tweet though and I can't access it at work to link to here.

As for the "he isn't hurt that bad so it's not a big suspension"" argment, that is the most irresponsible and ridiculous perspective I've ever heard. I know that's how the NHL does it, and it's simply stupid. It has to be the intent, not the injury. How can you say a guy deserves less time because a blow managed to land a half inch to the side and caused less damage than if it landed elsewhere?
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #74 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,717
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
It wasn't purposely placed.
That was my first reaction. But the full windup is inexcusable, and makes it a reckless act of violence no matter where it connects. The fact that the elbow was lifted so high only adds to the recklessness. He might as well have been turning quickly and cold cocking Rudy T. That's worth more than 7 games, and would have brought more on if he wasn't playing for the Lakers, who the League maybe hopes can squeak through the first round lest Bynum half-kills someone knowing he's only going to miss the start of the next season.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #75 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Guys. He got 7 games unpaid, or roughly 10% of his salary if I'm not mistaken. Pretty big chunk no? For what? An elbow? Guys in the NBA have been in Straight up fist fights and received less.

7 games is fine, it was a douchey elbow, but in the end it was an elbow, and no different than the "legal" clear outs guys lay people out with that are considered ok.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #76 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,717
Representing:
Default

I'd say 10 was fine, and I would guess that was the number in play, but it would mean hurting the Lakers in the playoffs beyond the first round. I think that should not come into play, in any way, at all.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #77 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Guys. He got 7 games unpaid, or roughly 10% of his salary if I'm not mistaken. Pretty big chunk no? For what? An elbow? Guys in the NBA have been in Straight up fist fights and received less.

7 games is fine, it was a douchey elbow, but in the end it was an elbow, and no different than the "legal" clear outs guys lay people out with that are considered ok.
Could not disagree more. This was in no way a basketball play, unlike the clear outs you describe. A blow to the head is a blow to the head, why should an elbow count as less than a punch?

I want to see your examples of guys getting in "straight up fist fights" landing a shot like that to the head and receiving less.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #78 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,577
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Guys. He got 7 games unpaid, or roughly 10% of his salary if I'm not mistaken. Pretty big chunk no? For what? An elbow? Guys in the NBA have been in Straight up fist fights and received less.

7 games is fine, it was a douchey elbow, but in the end it was an elbow, and no different than the "legal" clear outs guys lay people out with that are considered ok.
For a guy I actually enjoy reading posts from most of the time, this is the stupidest thing ever... Nobody in basketball gets in real fist fights, they swing like girls and usually do absolutely nothing, mostly pushing and shoving. Artest cocked his arm all the way and swung full force and knocked Harden out, and given where he hit him could of done a lot worse.

Its completely reckless and just plain dumb from someone who has a history of such things. The guy deserves to sit on his ass and watch the rest of the year no matter how far the Lakers make it in the playoffs. To take a pretty good game that was going on, and ruin it by doing this sort of thing just because you dunked the ball? Come on man.
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #79 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,780
Representing:
Default

I recall Ariza swinging his elbow (with intent) at Derozan and getting ejected from the game. Does anyone remember what length (if any) his suspension was?
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDPlease View Post
I recall Ariza swinging his elbow (with intent) at Derozan and getting ejected from the game. Does anyone remember what length (if any) his suspension was?
one game, 'twas pretty soft.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24