Lockout official - Page 48
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #941 (permalink)
up there

][__ . //-\\ .
 
ClutchCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 3,037
Representing:
Default

Cancel the season...another ringless year for LeBronze.
ClutchCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #942 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Back in negotiations together -- albeit in a new and different format -- the NBA and players have picked up their talks at the same point they left off when the union ended bargaining and issued a disclaimer of interest a little over a week ago. The starting point is the same 50-50 deal framework the parties last discussed, when the players were dissatisfied with certain system issues.

If a deal is consummated after the weekend and the season starts on Christmas Day, the schedule will be 66 games.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that there is diminished interest among the owners for a schedule of less than 60 games.

Reportedly the NBA would like Derek Fisher, the former union president, to join the negotiations that are set to continue on Friday.
Read more: Talks Pick Back Up Based On Most Recent 50 50 Deal Framework - RealGM Wiretap
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #943 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,853
Representing:
Default

ill save you the trouble, no deal on friday
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #944 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 6,064
Representing:
Default

The deeper this lockout goes into litigation, the less I understand the articles describing what's actually happening in the NBA. Like Sheridan or somebody showed up on NBA Talk a few days ago, and me and my buddy turned it up, drowned in a bag of Cool Ranch, and listened to this NBA specialist go off on absolutely nothing that we could understand. Seriously, it was like "what?" "Did you get any of that? "Nope" All I could say was "that's not basketball!!" in a whiney pitched tone "THAT'S NOT BASKETBALL!" It's like the emotion button has been turned off, in the land of where fierce battles were fought. The realm of the NBA has been forced to fade to only myths and legends.
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #945 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,070
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
The deeper this lockout goes into litigation, the less I understand the articles describing what's actually happening in the NBA. Like Sheridan or somebody showed up on NBA Talk a few days ago, and me and my buddy turned it up, drowned in a bag of Cool Ranch, and listened to this NBA specialist go off on absolutely nothing that we could understand. Seriously, it was like "what?" "Did you get any of that? "Nope" All I could say was "that's not basketball!!" in a whiney pitched tone "THAT'S NOT BASKETBALL!" It's like the emotion button has been turned off, in the land of where fierce battles were fought. The realm of the NBA has been forced to fade to only myths and legends.
Dude - we had four basketball announcers and analysts filling airtime by talking about hockey.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #946 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Dude - we had four basketball announcers and analysts filling airtime by talking about hockey.
When was that?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #947 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Watch nba tv?

I saw this. Why didn't they talk about euro ball or NCAA?

Of course maybe they are not aloud to? CRTC?
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #948 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Watch nba tv?

I saw this. Why didn't they talk about euro ball or NCAA?

Of course maybe they are not aloud to? CRTC?

I saw that, but they were talking college basketball/Football, MLB, NFL as well along with college hockey and the NHL. One thing I love about Jack Armstrong is that the guy knows his sports. Hell if I'm not mistaken they were even talking about movies.

Last edited by jeffb; 11-24-2011 at 08:20 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #949 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,088
Representing:
Default

Actually, whatever I saw had Matt, Jack, Leo and David Amber talking about NCAA basketball,Canadians in the NCAA, the national program, Syracuse joining the ACC, NCAA football, the World Series, the NFL, the NHL, etc...
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #950 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Actually, whatever I saw had Matt, Jack, Leo and David Amber talking about NCAA basketball,Canadians in the NCAA, the national program, Syracuse joining the ACC, NCAA football, the World Series, the NFL, the NHL, etc...

Yeah, they've been talking about everything. I now know that Leo liked the new Jimmy Hoffa movie and disliked Twilight and that his son recently had surgery. Lol

Last edited by jeffb; 11-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #951 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

So... it looks like Stern is trying his best to give in on the system issues - he is apparently pitching to the owners the idea of letting the tax teams have the full MLE at their disposal. And if it comes down to it, I'll bet the tax teams get sign and trades back as well. The owners may be able to live with a steeper tax as the only constraining mechanism - so at least if Cuban wants to buy another championship, he'll have to pay a lot more, which helps the low end teams financially at least.

It seems like my expectations have been met - the big sticking point is now the escrow system. The players don't want the owners to be guaranteed that 50% of BRI, but want to be guaranteed 50% themselves. I've done my rant on this before... Anyway, if Stern can use the other system issues as a trade for a robust escrow system, maybe the deal actually gets done.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #952 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
So... it looks like Stern is trying his best to give in on the system issues - he is apparently pitching to the owners the idea of letting the tax teams have the full MLE at their disposal. And if it comes down to it, I'll bet the tax teams get sign and trades back as well. The owners may be able to live with a steeper tax as the only constraining mechanism - so at least if Cuban wants to buy another championship, he'll have to pay a lot more, which helps the low end teams financially at least.

It seems like my expectations have been met - the big sticking point is now the escrow system. The players don't want the owners to be guaranteed that 50% of BRI, but want to be guaranteed 50% themselves. I've done my rant on this before... Anyway, if Stern can use the other system issues as a trade for a robust escrow system, maybe the deal actually gets done.
I won't hold my breath
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #953 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,070
Representing:
Default

This week's round table featured a full half-hour of hockey talk.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #954 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
This week's round table featured a full half-hour of hockey talk.
Well that's not shocking since they're MLSE employees. But they talk about all sports. Last week they did a half hour on Canadian NCAA players and spent a lot of time talking MLB and their CBA. I actually like that show. Anything with Jack Armstrong is pretty enjoyable imo.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #955 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,070
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Well that's not shocking since they're MLSE employees. But they talk about all sports. Last week they did a half hour on Canadian NCAA players and spent a lot of time talking MLB and their CBA. I actually like that show. Anything with Jack Armstrong is pretty enjoyable imo.
Watching Jack is cool, and this new format looks much improved over some stuff from the past, but I need to hear him talk NBA.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #956 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,073
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Watching Jack is cool, and this new format looks much improved over some stuff from the past, but I need to hear him talk NBA.
Perhaps, being an employee of MLSE, he is prohibited from doing so during the lockout?
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #957 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I saw that, but they were talking college basketball/Football, MLB, NFL as well along with college hockey and the NHL. One thing I love about Jack Armstrong is that the guy knows his sports. Hell if I'm not mistaken they were even talking about movies.
LOL I fliped to the channel once I heard them say NHL, So I didn't catch all of it.

Last edited by halphbreedballer; 11-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #958 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Derek Fisher will attend Friday's labor settlement meeting, source tells Y! Given legal complications, it suggests a deal is within reach.
28 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Quote:
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
As president of NBPA, Fisher and players have to protect selves from league charge that disbanding of union was a "sham" negotiating tactic.

Twitter
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #959 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 6,064
Representing:
Default

descension in the ranks, that's the only thing that can save this season.

Dallas Mavericks' DeShawn Stevenson blasts NBPA director Billy Hunter - ESPN Dallas
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #960 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Players also want max salaries 4 superstars to be 30% of cap, not just 25%, as well as higher qualifying offers 4 restricted free agents
10 hours ago

Chris Broussard
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Players also want increase in mini midlevel 4 tax teams, sign&trades 4 tax teams for life of new CBA, fewer penalties for repeat tax teams
10 hours ago

Chris Broussard
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Lawyers 4 players looking 4 league to make concessions Friday. Players want 4-yr full midlevel contracts available every yr,10% cap 4 escrow
https://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard

The league should give in on all but the escrow. If the league offers all that with an unlimited escrow, can the players possibly refuse? Even if they can't get the unlimited escrow, why not offer a system where 50% of salaries are held in escrow during the 6 months of season, and the players' share of it gets paid out over the summer, effectively just spreading their paychecks over the entire year.

Higher max contracts will help reduce teams' chances of putting together a Miami Heat again (the higher the better in my opinion). Higher QO's would suck for teams trying to hold onto restricted free agents (as more players will take the big one-year payout and go unrestricted the next year), but that won't be changing any paradigms.

As for the luxury tax teams - let them do whatever they want (full MLE, S+Ts), and remove the repeater tax, but keep the stiff tax, and you should see some leveling of the playing field, and some increased revenue sharing.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24