Joel Anthony - Page 3
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #41 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Lol... if you say so.

This is what I love about the internet.... people are SO quick to jump on you and scream "WTF are you talking about??? That's stupid!!" and then when evidence to your claim emerges those same naysayers are either no where to be found or full of a new set of excuses.
to be fair, and I'm not sure who the naysayers were in this case, but you're evidence is based on one series against Philly.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
to be fair, and I'm not sure who the naysayers were in this case, but you're evidence is based on one series against Philly.
Plus, he averaged 3.4ppg/5.2rpg/1.4blks (21.4 FG%) in 32mpg for that series.

I know stats don't show everything and yes he's played better then those stats show, but let's not get crazy here.

Last edited by jeffb; 04-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,581
Representing:
Default

21.4 fg% ?????
oh my.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
21.4 fg% ?????
oh my.
That's in American rates too.... in Canadian rates it's more like 19.2%
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
21.4 fg% ?????
oh my.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
That's in American rates too.... in Canadian rates it's more like 19.2%


Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,772
Representing:
Default

I fail to see how a successful role player is a scrub. To me a scrub is a guy that cannot fill any role.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I fail to see how a successful role player is a scrub. To me a scrub is a guy that cannot fill any role.
I agree..... but overstating Joel Anthony's impact is another issue. His role on a team with Wade and Lebron is very different than it was when it was just Wade and O'Neal and they made the playoffs.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,290
Representing:
Default

yeah, it goes both ways.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
yeah, it goes both ways.
that's what she said?
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,290
Representing:
Default

They just mentioned Joel Anthony on PTI. It was during the oddsmaker's segment. The question was regarding the chances of Anthony ever hiting clutch free throws again. The guy filling in for Tony was laughing as they showed clips of Anthony fumbling the basketball. I think the point was that you can't really expect him to be in that situation again, given that he's not somebody you want anywhere near the ball on offense, especially late in the game.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
editing this message!

Senior Member
 
jj33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,477
Representing:
Default

Can you be happy for a local kid HATERS????
jj33 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,744
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
the comparison is simple:
both have/had zero offensive game, but were on the court for their defensive skills, and were role players that were one-dimensional.
bottom line is that they have/had one thing going for them... although curry had experience.

if curry was 30 and on the heat, you'd probably be on his nuts too.... on any other team Anthony would be parked on the bench.
These opinions are misinformed, Anthony is taking minutes from guys like Z and Howard who have played in big games in the playoffs. He isn't an only option, how many times have the Heat gone to a Lebron at PF and Bosh at C lineup? Quite a bit. How can a guy getting clutch minutes on a 50+ win team be a scrub on every other team in the league, that makes no sense. He's had some big impact games this year like the one that prompted Torap to start this thread.

Joel does two things very well, he defends and he get's offensive rebounds. He serves a purpose on both ends of the floor.

Role players by definition are expected to be somewhat one-dimensional. They play a role. Do one or two things really well.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj33 View Post
Can you be happy for a local kid HATERS????
so if we think he's not that good we're hater's because he's from Canada?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #54 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I agree..... but overstating Joel Anthony's impact is another issue. His role on a team with Wade and Lebron is very different than it was when it was just Wade and O'Neal and they made the playoffs.
Really? I thought he was a pretty nice role player then too. And he's that much better this season. He's become a pretty good lockdown defender on a lot of matchups.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #55 (permalink)
Exalted

Senior Member
 
DDUnreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,347
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
so if we think he's not that good we're hater's because he's from Canada?
Yea that's pretty basic I think... BE A HOMER
DDUnreal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
is camped out in the corner

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,245
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Lol... if you say so.

This is what I love about the internet.... people are SO quick to jump on you and scream "WTF are you talking about??? That's stupid!!" and then when evidence to your claim emerges those same naysayers are either no where to be found or full of a new set of excuses.
Not the first time you jumped the gun and got excited lol
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #57 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
Not the first time you jumped the gun and got excited lol
Lol.... not the first time I've been right either.

If watching a player for the better part of 2 seasons = "jumping the gun" then I'm happy to do it.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #58 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
to be fair, and I'm not sure who the naysayers were in this case, but you're evidence is based on one series against Philly.
Lol.... just because YOU only noticed his impact during one playoff series certainly doesn't mean that he hasn't been doing these same things for a while.

He's been the same player all season long for them.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #59 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Lol.... just because YOU only noticed his impact during one playoff series certainly doesn't mean that he hasn't been doing these same things for a while.

He's been the same player all season long for them.
Sorry I didn't notice the big three of Lebron, Wade and Joel Anthony.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #60 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

He plays his role well. He is probally a better defender than anyone on the raptors, with regards to defending the centre position.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24