Jason Kidd - MIP - Best roleplayer in the NBA
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,541
Representing:
Default Jason Kidd - MIP - Best roleplayer in the NBA

This guy blows me away. I don't have a lot of time to talk about him. But he astounds me.

He was Rajon Rondo - too high strung, playing so unbelievably fast, and doing everything for his team at such a high pace; that he couldn't slow down and make a consistent three point shot.

His body slowed and he completely transformed his game into a three point shooter. It may seem like a simple transition, but it blows me away how easily and how well he has done it at such an old age.

I used to think Nash is easily the first choice between the two to go to the HoF. Kidd imo is now the primary candidate. Kidd > Nash when it comes to just being an equal piece to a 5-man unit. Maybe Nash can prove me wrong.

And defensively...dude is as good as any except maybe Chris Paul at guarding PGs, or SGs. I saw Lawson going full speed in transition, and Kidd didn't just run back to psych him out, he sprinted toe for toe with him, was able to turn around and make a legitimate play on the ball. Then the other night I saw him guarding D.Will who was unable to even get a shot up against him.

He's unbelievable. Has become one of my favourite players, when only 3 years ago I would not of considered myself a fan.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,267
Representing:
Default

He's doing some amazing stuff... have to give him credit.

Sort of reminds of when Grant Hill was with PHX the last few years. You wouldn't think that an "old guy" would still be THAT effective.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,541
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
He's doing some amazing stuff... have to give him credit.

Sort of reminds of when Grant Hill was with PHX the last few years. You wouldn't think that an "old guy" would still be THAT effective.
But Grant Hill didn't transform his game. He was still about his mid range jump shot and didn't really develop a knock-down three or completely change the way he played. I love Grant Hill. I would say their is similarity in the way their games both matured and became more dependable with age.

Talent level and potential declined, but their dependability improved.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
LX
Less is more. More or less. But mostly less. Or should that be more?

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26,604
Representing:
Default

He has me shaking my head every time I see him.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,968
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I tolerate him and I guess I should qualify that.

As a basketball player, he's been fantastic. I've never understood why teams seem to give up on him (Suns, Nets primarily). He looked really good against the Heat but last year he looked done, I thought mentally and even physically.

With the Knicks this year, he does his role so well and he doesn't force too much. It's a perfect fit for him.

I've never been a fan of him as a person (everything I've read about him).
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,151
Representing:
Default

he is a very smart player.. still has good legs to run, doesn't force the game, takes high percentage shots
he is third all time in 3pointers made.. behind Reggie and Allen

Last edited by creative1mm; 12-13-2012 at 01:47 PM.
creative1mm is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Raps over Nets in 5!

Senior Member
 
@BaileysBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,298
Representing:
Default

When I called him a top 10 pg currently this past summer (after the ranking Chisholm had with Lowry at 8) I caught a lot of heat on here. He's still top 10,and his play/impact with. The Knicks proves it even more. If you're trying to build a team to win a title,he's definitely amongst the first 10 PG's to be selected.
@BaileysBlitz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
to each his own.

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,482
Representing:
Default

except Felton is kinda their PG and Kidd is their glue guy.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,541
Representing:
Default

They start two PGs; JKidd just doesn't need the ball in his hands.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,267
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
But Grant Hill didn't transform his game. He was still about his mid range jump shot and didn't really develop a knock-down three or completely change the way he played. I love Grant Hill. I would say their is similarity in the way their games both matured and became more dependable with age.

Talent level and potential declined, but their dependability improved.
I might argue that point.... when he was with PHX he was known much more for his DEFENSE than he ever was before when he was in his glory in DET.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
praying Drummond doesnt haunt us forever.

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,217
Representing:
Default

As commentators have alluded to in the past few days, he makes other players on the floor want to pass the ball and make their teammates better, and get even more open shots if theyre available with the next pass. Its not Kidd creating these shots, but its the rhythm thats created with his decision making and unselfishness that has really helped the knicks offence take off.

JR Smith has made more extras passes this year than in his entire career combined for wide open 3s, when hes had the opportunity to take his usual semi contested 3s, and he instinctively passes it to his teammate for an even better look. This definitely comes from Kidd.

And Kidd may be the best 3 point shooter in the NBA right now. He has absolutely no hesitation when hes wide open, and his shot is pure.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,267
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
As commentators have alluded to in the past few days, he makes other players on the floor want to pass the ball and make their teammates better, and get even more open shots if theyre available with the next pass. Its not Kidd creating these shots, but its the rhythm thats created with his decision making and unselfishness that has really helped the knicks offence take off.

JR Smith has made more extras passes this year than in his entire career combined for wide open 3s, when hes had the opportunity to take his usual semi contested 3s, and he instinctively passes it to his teammate for an even better look. This definitely comes from Kidd.

And Kidd may be the best 3 point shooter in the NBA right now. He has absolutely no hesitation when hes wide open, and his shot is pure.
Pretty disgusting that you have him, Melo, Smith AND Novak all on that squad.

Talk about deadly from deep.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
LX
Less is more. More or less. But mostly less. Or should that be more?

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26,604
Representing:
Default

Yeah, they are one team that will live by the three more than they die by the three. I count the basket every time Kidd releases it. Just a machine.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24