How to Make a $7 Million Profit Look Like a $28 Million Loss
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,716
Representing:
Lightbulb How to Make a $7 Million Profit Look Like a $28 Million Loss

Cool look into some of the nifty accounting that goes on behind the scenes. Makes sense that players are treated as capital assets.

Quote:
We've obtained audited financial data for the New jersey Nets covering the three fiscal years from June 2003 to June 2006. Though the numbers end five years ago, you can still see the roots of the argument that will have NBA owners, come midnight, again locking out their players. You can also see how a team makes money and how it pretends not to be making any money at all.
Exclusive: How (And Why) An NBA Team Makes A $7 Million Profit Look Like A $28 Million Loss
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,309
Representing:
Default

How does it make sense? They are employees. And their salaries already get deducted as expenses before they get further deductions for depreciation. That's just another scheme for the rich to get richer. Wonderful. Please let me hire a bunch of highly skilled people and then write it all off multiple times while they make money for me. Beauty.

If this strike lasts all season, it's going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially if these assholes try to make out like it's all being done for me as a fan. I don't buy it, and they might just lose me as a fan.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
is rooting for the Raptors!

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 238
Representing:
Default

^^^

I agree LX. These NBA owners expect us to believe that their 'employees' earn more than them? Utter BS.

Granted that some players are heartless and there to collect cheques but there are alot of others deserving of their wages.
CobraKing is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,416
Representing:
Default

As soon as players are willing to accept a share of any losses a team might suffer, I'll be wholeheartedly on their side in these matters.

Until then, I think they need to realize that they make a pretty damn good wage.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,716
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
How does it make sense? They are employees. And their salaries already get deducted as expenses before they get further deductions for depreciation. That's just another scheme for the rich to get richer. Wonderful. Please let me hire a bunch of highly skilled people and then write it all off multiple times while they make money for me. Beauty.

If this strike lasts all season, it's going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially if these assholes try to make out like it's all being done for me as a fan. I don't buy it, and they might just lose me as a fan.
of course it's a scheme for the rich to get richer; i just think the accounting behind it is kind of interesting. you depreciate an asset to match the expenses to the revenues it earns over the course of its useful life. typically as an asset gets older it gets less productive and a declining balance method of depreciation would reflect that. in that sense players and capital assets are a lot alike. after a certain point in their careers, players get less and less productive as they age. the depreciation would account for that.

based on principle it's fucked. theory wise though i think it's kind of cool.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,309
Representing:
Default

It is brilliant in a sense, but entirely evil just like all the schemes that have fucked over the whole economy. I don't know how accounting became such a creative pursuit. It's just so wrong in principle.

And I'm not on the player's side at all. I don't see either side trying to see where the game can be improved. Once again the fans get fucked. Every time that happens it causes me to care less, and be less of a fan. I guess I'm unusual that way, or these guys just refuse to take that into account.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,658
Representing:
Default

Lockout official

this article does a pretty balanced job of explaining the 2 sides.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,472
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
of course it's a scheme for the rich to get richer; i just think the accounting behind it is kind of interesting. you depreciate an asset to match the expenses to the revenues it earns over the course of its useful life. typically as an asset gets older it gets less productive and a declining balance method of depreciation would reflect that. in that sense players and capital assets are a lot alike. after a certain point in their careers, players get less and less productive as they age. the depreciation would account for that.

based on principle it's fucked. theory wise though i think it's kind of cool.
I think it's a reach to treat players as capital assets. Although I don't know exactly how they account for it, it just seems their is no way you can accurately predict a players future production and depreciation. And in the end, one players performance means nothing as far as revenues, it's all about the team.

What it does do is give these teams justification for spending these large sums of money on these players.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Moderator

 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 10,194
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I don't see either side trying to see where the game can be improved. Once again the fans get fucked. Every time that happens it causes me to care less, and be less of a fan. I guess I'm unusual that way, or these guys just refuse to take that into account.
i'd say you're in the majority my friend
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24