How to Contain Dwight Howard
Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
soul searching in Cimmeria

asdfasdfadfa
 
soulstice99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 391
Representing:
Default How to Contain Dwight Howard

Quote:
Why were the Boston Celtics able to limit Orlando Magic C Dwight Howard to five points on just seven shot attempts in the Magic's Christmas Day defeat at Amway Arena?

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said afterward that his team didn't do "anything special," but Celtics C Kendrick Perkins offered a less delicate answer.

"You've got to play him physical. You watch other teams around the league, they pretty much let him set up shop," Perkins said, according to The Associated Press. "You've just got to go in and be prepared to go to war. You've got to fight him first, hit him first. . . . He likes to be physical, but he doesn't like anyone to be physical with him."
Orlando Sentinel
soulstice99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Even for a guy his size he's not great at finishing with contact.

If I were his size and had his tools I'd most likely be the greatest player to ever play the game.

He could and should be MUCH better than he is, especially on offense.

Last edited by zachus; 12-27-2009 at 01:58 AM.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,632
Representing:
Default

He has the little running hooks but his backdown game is weak. At his size he should be shaq'ing people, backing people down and punishing them, but he doesnt. His footwork and simple jump hook are lacking. He needs to develop his drop step and hop step into the lane. Patrick Ewing has failed with him bigtime.

I watched a 1995 ORL game where ORL had the same setup, with Shaq Penny and shooters, except with them they dumped it into Shaq and played off him and he punished people with his back to the basket moves, whereas Howard picks and rolls to the rim and goes up, and if he catches it in a postup he cant do anything with it unlike Shaq.

Its the same setup, but Shaq is 100000x the offensive player.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Sure Perkins, it would help if u did that last time in the playoffs.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
representing the Big Land

basketball is life
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 1,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus View Post
Even for a guy his size he's not great at finishing with contact.

If I were his size and had his tools I'd most likely be the greatest player to ever play the game.

He could and should be MUCH better than he is, especially on offense.
Agreed, he has to utilize his size more and improve his finish.
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopha View Post
Agreed, he has to utilize his size more and improve his finish.
His size is the only reason he puts up 17/13/2.5, so he's using his size just fine. But how often do you see a guy that tall with the athletic tools Dwight has? Shit man I'd be averaging 30/20 if I were born with Dwight Howards body.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus View Post
His size is the only reason he puts up 17/13/2.5, so he's using his size just fine. But how often do you see a guy that tall with the athletic tools Dwight has? Shit man I'd be averaging 30/20 if I were born with Dwight Howards body.
unfair comparison(yourself with dwight tools)
bigs are just born uncoordinated, its how it is

plus you've probably got white man hands, those Extreme crafting tools, true craftsmanship
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,632
Representing:
Default

Dwight isnt uncoordinated, he just hasnt learned any moves yet. Patrick Chewing has failed bigtime with him. Get that man a summer with Hakeem and watch his game take off.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
unfair comparison(yourself with dwight tools)
bigs are just born uncoordinated, its how it is

plus you've probably got white man hands, those Extreme crafting tools, true craftsmanship
hahah

you're something else.

Dwight's coordinated, he just sucks on offense, and that hasn't changed since his first day in the league. That is why I'm a hater.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
a rep. from the Hair Club for Men

Member
 
EazyBalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 313
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus View Post
hahah

you're something else.

Dwight's coordinated, he just sucks on offense, and that hasn't changed since his first day in the league. That is why I'm a hater.
+1... Dwight Howard can be special but he's just another athletic Big Man w/ crap offense. He's like NeNe, but with better rebounding and defence.
EazyBalla is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,632
Representing:
Default

Nene actually has some nice hook shots and a very nice midrange jumper. Hes more skilled than Dwight on offence.

Dwight right now is like a more powerful Dikembe Mutombo.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,188
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
He has the little running hooks but his backdown game is weak. At his size he should be shaq'ing people, backing people down and punishing them, but he doesnt. His footwork and simple jump hook are lacking. He needs to develop his drop step and hop step into the lane. Patrick Ewing has failed with him bigtime.

I watched a 1995 ORL game where ORL had the same setup, with Shaq Penny and shooters, except with them they dumped it into Shaq and played off him and he punished people with his back to the basket moves, whereas Howard picks and rolls to the rim and goes up, and if he catches it in a postup he cant do anything with it unlike Shaq.

Its the same setup, but Shaq is 100000x the offensive player.
In terms of Size, Shaq is way bigger then Dwight then most people think. Shaq was 7 foot 1 and 350+ pounds in his prime. Dwight is no where near that size. I doubt that he is even 6'11". In every picture Bosh either looks taller then Howard or about the same height.




Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dwight Howard done with Dunk conest? Someguy again NBA Talk 15 12-08-2009 02:02 AM
According to Fox sports, Dwight Howard and Lebron James are NOT good defenders rapsdabest NBA Talk 15 08-15-2009 01:26 PM
Dwight Howard suspended Windex NBA Talk 12 04-30-2009 09:18 AM
Dwight Howard Wins Defensive Player of the Year Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 6 04-21-2009 10:15 PM
Dwight Howard really thinks he dunked last year Ligeia NBA Talk 12 02-17-2009 11:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24