Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   How to Contain Dwight Howard (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/how-contain-dwight-howard-12454.html)

soulstice99 12-27-2009 01:14 AM

How to Contain Dwight Howard
 
Quote:

Why were the Boston Celtics able to limit Orlando Magic C Dwight Howard to five points on just seven shot attempts in the Magic's Christmas Day defeat at Amway Arena?

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said afterward that his team didn't do "anything special," but Celtics C Kendrick Perkins offered a less delicate answer.

"You've got to play him physical. You watch other teams around the league, they pretty much let him set up shop," Perkins said, according to The Associated Press. "You've just got to go in and be prepared to go to war. You've got to fight him first, hit him first. . . . He likes to be physical, but he doesn't like anyone to be physical with him."

Orlando Sentinel

zachus 12-27-2009 01:55 AM

Even for a guy his size he's not great at finishing with contact.

If I were his size and had his tools I'd most likely be the greatest player to ever play the game.

He could and should be MUCH better than he is, especially on offense.

Ball Don't Lie 12-27-2009 02:25 AM

He has the little running hooks but his backdown game is weak. At his size he should be shaq'ing people, backing people down and punishing them, but he doesnt. His footwork and simple jump hook are lacking. He needs to develop his drop step and hop step into the lane. Patrick Ewing has failed with him bigtime.

I watched a 1995 ORL game where ORL had the same setup, with Shaq Penny and shooters, except with them they dumped it into Shaq and played off him and he punished people with his back to the basket moves, whereas Howard picks and rolls to the rim and goes up, and if he catches it in a postup he cant do anything with it unlike Shaq.

Its the same setup, but Shaq is 100000x the offensive player.

Bmats7 12-27-2009 02:35 AM

Sure Perkins, it would help if u did that last time in the playoffs.

Chris 12-27-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachus (Post 297752)
Even for a guy his size he's not great at finishing with contact.

If I were his size and had his tools I'd most likely be the greatest player to ever play the game.

He could and should be MUCH better than he is, especially on offense.

Agreed, he has to utilize his size more and improve his finish.

zachus 12-27-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopha (Post 297772)
Agreed, he has to utilize his size more and improve his finish.

His size is the only reason he puts up 17/13/2.5, so he's using his size just fine. But how often do you see a guy that tall with the athletic tools Dwight has? Shit man I'd be averaging 30/20 if I were born with Dwight Howards body.

GrannyFro 12-27-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachus (Post 297790)
His size is the only reason he puts up 17/13/2.5, so he's using his size just fine. But how often do you see a guy that tall with the athletic tools Dwight has? Shit man I'd be averaging 30/20 if I were born with Dwight Howards body.

unfair comparison(yourself with dwight tools)
bigs are just born uncoordinated, its how it is

plus you've probably got white man hands, those Extreme crafting tools, true craftsmanship

Ball Don't Lie 12-27-2009 02:27 PM

Dwight isnt uncoordinated, he just hasnt learned any moves yet. Patrick Chewing has failed bigtime with him. Get that man a summer with Hakeem and watch his game take off.

zachus 12-27-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyFro (Post 297794)
unfair comparison(yourself with dwight tools)
bigs are just born uncoordinated, its how it is

plus you've probably got white man hands, those Extreme crafting tools, true craftsmanship

hahah

you're something else.

Dwight's coordinated, he just sucks on offense, and that hasn't changed since his first day in the league. That is why I'm a hater.

EazyBalla 12-28-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachus (Post 297887)
hahah

you're something else.

Dwight's coordinated, he just sucks on offense, and that hasn't changed since his first day in the league. That is why I'm a hater.

+1... Dwight Howard can be special but he's just another athletic Big Man w/ crap offense. He's like NeNe, but with better rebounding and defence.

Ball Don't Lie 12-28-2009 01:35 PM

Nene actually has some nice hook shots and a very nice midrange jumper. Hes more skilled than Dwight on offence.

Dwight right now is like a more powerful Dikembe Mutombo.

Nites 12-28-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thriller92 (Post 297753)
He has the little running hooks but his backdown game is weak. At his size he should be shaq'ing people, backing people down and punishing them, but he doesnt. His footwork and simple jump hook are lacking. He needs to develop his drop step and hop step into the lane. Patrick Ewing has failed with him bigtime.

I watched a 1995 ORL game where ORL had the same setup, with Shaq Penny and shooters, except with them they dumped it into Shaq and played off him and he punished people with his back to the basket moves, whereas Howard picks and rolls to the rim and goes up, and if he catches it in a postup he cant do anything with it unlike Shaq.

Its the same setup, but Shaq is 100000x the offensive player.

In terms of Size, Shaq is way bigger then Dwight then most people think. Shaq was 7 foot 1 and 350+ pounds in his prime. Dwight is no where near that size. I doubt that he is even 6'11". In every picture Bosh either looks taller then Howard or about the same height.


http://www.onemanfastbreak.net/wp-co...tball_team.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...ardandBosh.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24