Are the Hornets contenders?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Lightbulb Are the Hornets contenders?

No, they're not building around Chris Paul like they should and this article too from RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Paul: We Need The Killer Instinct
Quote:
In an interview on Thursday, Chris Paul responded to the notion the Hornets were a relative disappointment during the 08-09 season.

"I think we all need to get a little bit more killer [instinct] in us," said Paul. "We have to want it more. That's something that we'll talk about in training camp. Everybody has to know it doesn't start when the playoffs start; it starts from Day One -- that's when we have to build our identity. Coach [Byron] Scott always says if everybody comes back 1 percent better, that will make our team better. So I'll try to do my part and come back better than I was last year."
Unless someone says come on we can do it, the Hornets might get a very low seed in the playoffs.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

The hornets are a very very bad team. I'll be surprised if they make it to the 2nd round.
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

I doubt that they'll make the second round as well but I think Chris Paul knows what he's talking about. They need some more swagger in their step, an air of confidence. They need a player like that.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,040
Representing:
Default

I would say pretenders not contrenders. Not enough talent and drive on that team.

Cheers
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

I feel like the whole team is a dumping site of unused potential. They could be very good. All they need is a leader.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
praying Drummond doesnt haunt us forever.

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,199
Representing:
Default

A leader? what? CP3 is the leader of that team. What they need is talent plain and simple.

They have CP3 and West, a very good duo to build around, yet look at their rotation players:

Butler and Peja started when they have no business starting(Peja would be ok if he was ever healthy but isnt), Melvin Ely, Hilton Armstrong, the now Antonio Daniels, Mo Pete, Ryan Bowen. Its incredible that that Hornets team took the Spurs to 7 when they only had CP3 West and Pargo producing consistantly. Chandler was ok but I didnt like the defence he was playing on the pick and rolls especially.

Now they have Okafor who is also a solid player, but their wing rotation is a joke. Right now they have 4 quality players who would get mins on any team(5 when Peja is healthy). Youre not going to win like that, and not only are you not going to win like that youre going to kill your top 5 player in the NBA having to put everything on his shoulders. Get CP3 a wing player and something that resembles a bench and hes taking that team deep.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

CP3 may be the captain but he's still young and they need a vet with confidence and swagger. Giving up Chandler is like the Raptors giving up Calderon. CP# and Chandler had great chemistry. Now he has to start over.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Sooner or later Chris Paul is going to stop giving an 11 out of 10 on the effort scale, you can only go so long busting your ass as hard as you can before it starts creeping in that your management are cheap bastards who won't be getting you help soon, your arena is empty, and you're going to get knocked out in 5 games and lose by 58 points once you drag your team to the 7th seed. oh wait, that happened last year

The Hornets were only good last year because Paul was trying THAT hard, and EVERYTHING was going through him. But I expect even he has a limit, and without that insane effort the Hornets are going to start losing games. Especially when he finds out Okafor can't run the pick and roll at all and has like the worst hands in the league.

As great as Paul is it'd be nice if he could play more off the ball, and conserve some energy a bit. Same with Wade, he similarly exerts way too much energy to keep up without breaking down. That's part of what makes Kobe better than them, his physical workload is about 5x less because of how much more off the ball his game is.

Last edited by The MVP of West Hollywood; 08-16-2009 at 03:11 AM.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post
Sooner or later Chris Paul is going to stop giving an 11 out of 10 on the effort scale, you can only go so long busting your ass as hard as you can before it starts creeping in that your management are cheap bastards who won't be getting you help soon, your arena is empty, and you're going to get knocked out in 5 games and lose by 58 points once you drag your team to the 7th seed. oh wait, that happened last year

The Hornets were only good last year because Paul was trying THAT hard, and EVERYTHING was going through him. But I expect even he has a limit, and without that insane effort the Hornets are going to start losing games. Especially when he finds out Okafor can't run the pick and roll at all and has like the worst hands in the league.

As great as Paul is it'd be nice if he could play more off the ball, and conserve some energy a bit. Same with Wade, he similarly exerts way too much energy to keep up without breaking down. That's part of what makes Kobe better than them, his physical workload is about 5x less because of how much more off the ball his game is.
Chirs Paul will never stop working his ass off. He's not that kind of player. He'll always give 150% no matter if the GM isn't helping.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
LX
Less is more. More or less. But mostly less. Or should that be more?

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26,579
Representing:
Default

Pargo allowed Paul to play off the ball and rest a bit, and it helped tremendously if you see how much losing Pargo ended up hurting the team. Too much was on Paul's shoulders. Until that changes it doesn't matter what he does - it won't be enough overall.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
A leader? what? CP3 is the leader of that team. What they need is talent plain and simple.

They have CP3 and West, a very good duo to build around, yet look at their rotation players:

Butler and Peja started when they have no business starting(Peja would be ok if he was ever healthy but isnt), Melvin Ely, Hilton Armstrong, the now Antonio Daniels, Mo Pete, Ryan Bowen. Its incredible that that Hornets team took the Spurs to 7 when they only had CP3 West and Pargo producing consistantly. Chandler was ok but I didnt like the defence he was playing on the pick and rolls especially.

Now they have Okafor who is also a solid player, but their wing rotation is a joke. Right now they have 4 quality players who would get mins on any team(5 when Peja is healthy). Youre not going to win like that, and not only are you not going to win like that youre going to kill your top 5 player in the NBA having to put everything on his shoulders. Get CP3 a wing player and something that resembles a bench and hes taking that team deep.
you know whats funny.....now that they traded Butler away....who is gonna start at the 2?...devin brown?...Mo Pete?.......i mean, Butler want great but he was a decent player....
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
Chirs Paul will never stop working his ass off. He's not that kind of player. He'll always give 150% no matter if the GM isn't helping.
but he might ask for a trade? no?....if they keep trading away talent.....
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A00715890 View Post
but he might ask for a trade? no?....if they keep trading away talent.....
He might ask for a trade and a lot of teams would want him. I don't know what their GM is trying to pull though.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
He might ask for a trade and a lot of teams would want him. I don't know what their GM is trying to pull though.
its not secret that the team is loosing a shit load of money....and its gonna get worse....i think all the gm is doing is trying to save money.....
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is going on with the hornets? LightsOut NBA Talk 8 01-02-2010 11:02 AM
over/under - Raps Hornets LX Toronto Raptors 28 11-07-2009 06:20 AM
Graham to Cleveland? This Definitely Makes Them Contenders Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 18 07-17-2009 06:19 PM
Raptors, Mavs now contenders Thug Toronto Raptors 34 07-09-2009 10:59 PM
Are We Considered Championship Contenders Yet? Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 20 08-12-2008 06:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24