The future of the San Antonio Spurs
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Spurs The future of the San Antonio Spurs

After 10gizzle started making some moves in the mock draft, I started looking at the Spurs payroll. Due to their financial flexibility, there is potential for them to make some serious moves this off-season.

The cap is supposed to be just over $58 mill.

Parker $12, 500
Duncan $10, 361, 446
Diaw $ 4,702, 500 (player option - very likely picked up)
Green $ 3, 762,500
Leonard $ 1, 887, 840
De Colo $ 1, 463, 000
Joseph $ 1,120, 920
Baynes $ 778, 872
Neal $ 1,116, 099 (qualifying offer - prob won't cost much more)
Mills $ 1, 113, 950 (player option - prob picked up).
Draft pick$ 893,500

11 guys (almost a full roster), at a cost of roughly $40 mill.


Then a few question marks:

Bonner team option at $3,945,000 (only $1 mill guaranteed)
Splitter qualifying offer $5,876,560
Ginobili cap hold $ 19+ million

If the Spurs decline to bring back Bonner and Splitter, and renounce Ginobili's birds rights, they apparently have HUGE cap space.

What do you think the Spurs should do?

If you're the GM, would any of you just keep Bonner, Splitter, and try to resign Ginobs, limiting any upgrades to the use of the MLE? Or, do you decline to bring back Bonner and Splitter in order to become a cap room team and pursue Milsap or Jefferson? If you'd chose to be a cap space team, are there any other players you think the Spurs should be targeting? If Ginobili wants to come back, how much cap space would you be willing to use to re-sign him?

Trades are really hard to predict, but I also wonder if they maybe create the cap space to do a lopsided trade that nets them something good at - or shortly after - the draft. If there's something realistic you think makes a lot of sense, I'd be interested to hear/read it.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,209
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
After 10gizzle started making some moves in the mock draft, I started looking at the Spurs payroll. Due to their financial flexibility, there is potential for them to make some serious moves this off-season.

The cap is supposed to be just over $58 mill.

Parker $12, 500
Duncan $10, 361, 446
Diaw $ 4,702, 500 (player option - very likely picked up)
Green $ 3, 762,500
Leonard $ 1, 887, 840
De Colo $ 1, 463, 000
Joseph $ 1,120, 920
Baynes $ 778, 872
Neal $ 1,116, 099 (qualifying offer - prob won't cost much more)
Mills $ 1, 113, 950 (player option - prob picked up).
Draft pick$ 893,500

11 guys (almost a full roster), at a cost of roughly $40 mill.


Then a few question marks:

Bonner team option at $3,945,000 (only $1 mill guaranteed)
Splitter qualifying offer $5,876,560
Ginobili cap hold $ 19+ million

If the Spurs decline to bring back Bonner and Splitter, and renounce Ginobili's birds rights, they apparently have HUGE cap space.

What do you think the Spurs should do?

If you're the GM, would any of you just keep Bonner, Splitter, and try to resign Ginobs, limiting any upgrades to the use of the MLE? Or, do you decline to bring back Bonner and Splitter in order to become a cap room team and pursue Milsap or Jefferson? If you'd chose to be a cap space team, are there any other players you think the Spurs should be targeting? If Ginobili wants to come back, how much cap space would you be willing to use to re-sign him?

Trades are really hard to predict, but I also wonder if they maybe create the cap space to do a lopsided trade that nets them something good at - or shortly after - the draft. If there's something realistic you think makes a lot of sense, I'd be interested to hear/read it.
That's why I traded Green, Joseph and the 28th for Ridnour, Cody Zeller and Snell. They get 2 young pieces who can contribute and are cheap while still having cap space. Ridnour also gives them a lot off the bench too.

If I'm them, I look to S&T Splitter. I just don't think he'll ever be THAT good.

Re: Gino - That all depends on whether or not there's a solid 2 out there for them to plug in.

Aside from that, TD and TP are still going to be the engine. It's all about putting pieces that fit.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,149
Representing:
Default

They need to get young elite big to play with/learn beside Duncan for a few years. Bosh would have been perfect a few years ago - I was kind of hoping that would happen at the time.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,209
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
They need to get young elite big to play with/learn beside Duncan for a few years. Bosh would have been perfect a few years ago - I was kind of hoping that would happen at the time.
I think any SOLID offensive 4 would be perfect.

Funny thing is, Bargnani would probably work in their system perfectly lol.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,792
Representing:
Default

There was a rumor on espn or somewhere a few weeks ago that the Spurs are now on Dwight's "list". While i doubt it, it would make some sense. The age difference between Parker and Dwight isn't big, Kawhi is rising, Duncan will probably stick around for a couple of years.

Dwight would be sacrificing the big market opportunities but he'd probably improve his image / legacy overall. I think that's pretty much the only scenario where I would start liking Dwight again any time soon.

More realistically, I would definitely weigh the Millsap option. Splitter's agent is supposedly looking for 9 mil / year and more. Pricey.
If Manu retires, I'd look at getting a starting big, either Splitter or Millsap. And spend the rest on a legit 6th man shooter. Kevin Martin?
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
There was a rumor on espn or somewhere a few weeks ago that the Spurs are now on Dwight's "list". While i doubt it, it would make some sense. The age difference between Parker and Dwight isn't big, Kawhi is rising, Duncan will probably stick around for a couple of years.

Dwight would be sacrificing the big market opportunities but he'd probably improve his image / legacy overall. I think that's pretty much the only scenario where I would start liking Dwight again any time soon.

More realistically, I would definitely weigh the Millsap option. Splitter's agent is supposedly looking for 9 mil / year and more. Pricey.
If Manu retires, I'd look at getting a starting big, either Splitter or Millsap. And spend the rest on a legit 6th man shooter. Kevin Martin?
Dwight and Pop together!? That would be interesting. It would be funny if Dwight's agent contacted the Spurs and they were like "nah, we'll pass." haha

The Kevin Martin suggestion is interesting. I forgot he's an FA.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Go forward with Green, Leonard, Neal, Parker, Duncan, Joseph and get as far below the cap as possible and go after a couple top FA's.

Out: Splitter, Bonner, Ginobili (hopefully retires), Diaw
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

With Jackson and Ginobili's contracts off the book, that's like 22M off. They do have big time cap space, and it looks good. Bolstering the bench would do well, and taking Ginobili back for a cheap ride would be a great move. Perhaps even a starting PF such as one of the Utah bigs who are UFAs.

Last edited by Kirby; 06-21-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Go forward with Green, Leonard, Neal, Parker, Duncan, Joseph and get as far below the cap as possible and go after a couple top FA's.

Out: Splitter, Bonner, Ginobili (hopefully retires), Diaw
Oh you keep those guys. Especially Diaw. I'm sure at least two could be had for the min.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
likes the consistency in the colangelo built raptors

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,428
Representing:
Default

Wow spurs are players this off season in free agency
rapsmannn is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,756
Representing:
Default

Trade Duncan and Green for Bosh
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,360
Representing:
Default

If Pop could find a way to tame Cousins he'd probably be ideal for them.

Parker, Leonard and Cousins would be a deadly "Big 3" for at least another 5 years or so.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Go forward with Green, Leonard, Neal, Parker, Duncan, Joseph and get as far below the cap as possible and go after a couple top FA's.

Out: Splitter, Bonner, Ginobili (hopefully retires), Diaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Oh you keep those guys. Especially Diaw. I'm sure at least two could be had for the min.
As my opening post indicated, Diaw has a player option worth 4+ mill.

@Jeff, you can't just ditch Diaw. He can pick up his option. It's his decision. That's why he's included in my hypothetical roster of staying players.

@Kirby, you can't get Diaw for the min because his player option is 4+ million. Splitter won't play for the min. If the Spurs decline to make his qualifying offer, he will likely get an offer from another team for MLE type $. Maybe Ginob signs for the min. Maybe. That would be very helpful.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Wait a minute... Where's McGrady?
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Wait a minute... Where's McGrady?
Not sure if serous....

Who cares? His contract is up. T-Mac was a temporary vet signing. He won't have impacts on games and play minutes during the playoffs, if they even bring him back.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,892
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Trade Duncan and Green for Bosh
And thus ensure that the Heat win the Championship next year. No thanks!
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Not sure if serous....

Who cares? His contract is up. T-Mac was a temporary vet signing. He won't have impacts on games and play minutes during the playoffs, if they even bring him back.
Nah man. re-sign him for the vets min and implement him into the team. Serious.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
And thus ensure that the Heat win the Championship next year. No thanks!
Yeah - there is that, but it would at least be trading out of conference and getting a player they liked that could work well in their system for a long time. I can't see it happening, but it wouldn't be bad from the Spurs perspective aside from pretty much suggesting they were not thinking about getting back to the finals where they would have to face a team they made insanely good.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,197
Representing:
Default

let Ginobli, Splitter, Bonner walk. In the FA go hard after one or two of: Iggy, West, Millsap, Jefferson, Howard. Also look into someone like: Caldy, Augustine, J. Jack
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,759
Representing:
Default

You don't simply let Ginobili walk... He's a legend to the organization.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24