Foxsports: NBA top 10 overrated stat stuffers
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,175
Representing:
Smile Foxsports: NBA top 10 overrated stat stuffers

Quote:
Their numbers just don't add up

In basketball, not everything is quantifiable. That's why it can be misleading to judge a player's value solely by his statistics. Stats don't measure small but significant things like setting a solid screen or playing good positional defense. They don't measure intangible qualities like competitiveness or a positive attitude. FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky lists 10 current players who put up big numbers but aren't as valuable as their stats suggest. Some are All-Stars. Some aren't. But for all these guys, the whole really is less than the sum of its parts.
Quote:
9. Vince Carter, SF, Orlando Magic
2008-09 stats: 20.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.7 apg
Though it's been a while since he jumped over a 7-foot Frenchman, the 32-year-old Carter remains among the most extraordinary scorers and athletes in the game. He's averaged at least 20 points for 11 straight seasons, but there's a reason he's never sniffed a championship. When it comes to toughness and competitive intensity, no one's ever confused Carter with his fellow UNC alum, Michael Jordan. The NBA runners-up Magic traded for Carter, presumedly to put them over the hump. But if he keeps launching fadeaway jumpers in crunch time and failing to facilitate as well as the departed Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando may end up taking a big step back.
Quote:
1. Zach Randolph, F-C, Memphis Grizzlies
2008-09 stats: 20.8 ppg, 10.1 rpg
When does 20 plus 10 equal zero? When you're adding up the contributions of Randolph, whose prolific scoring and rebounding stats are negated by his deficiencies. He's a poor passer, a worse defender and is useless in transition. His last three teams — the Blazers, Knicks and Clippers — have been more than happy to find a taker for his services. Now in Memphis, he'll be paid like a superstar ($33.3 million the next two years), score and rebound like an All-Star, and lose 60 games a year.
10. Allen Iverson
9. Vince Carter
8. Marcus Camby
7. Carlos Boozer
6. Josh Smith
5. Corey Maggette
4. Kevin Martin
3. Al Harrington
2. Jamal Crawford
1. Zach Randolph




NBA - Photo Gallery - FOX Sports on MSN

Last edited by jeffb; 08-23-2009 at 11:11 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
10. Allen Iverson
9. Vince Carter
8. Marcus Camby
7. Carlos Boozer
6. Josh Smith
5. Corey Maggette
4. Kevin Martin
3. Al Harrington
2. Jamal Crawford
1. Zach Randolph




NBA - Photo Gallery - FOX Sports on MSN
The only reason Allen Iverson might be overrated is because of his attitude.
Completely agree with the Vince Carter stuff.
Marcus Camby is decent and never thought of him as more than a possible all-star injury replacement especially with all of the bad centers in the league.
Agree with Carlos Boozer.
Josh Smith is just ridiculously athletic.
Correy Maggete is way overrated.
Al Harrington is overrated.
Jamal Crawford is a bit overrated.
The only team that thinks Zach Randolph isn't overrated is Memphis apparently. They wasnt to bring a good veteran influence to the team. Why bring Randolph? He's a 6,9 280 selfish piece of lard. My only question to the Grizzlies is why take Randolph over David Lee, Paul Millsap and Carlos Boozer? Why?????????????
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,757
Representing:
Default

Not a bad list overall. I think I'd differ on Iverson and Camby. But I love anything that points out how misleading the numbers can be.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

First good article from Fox, hopefully there will be more!
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
bored.

Senior Member
 
iRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,032
Representing:
Default

I think the media is pathetic. They have no more ideas for any stories so they keep bashing iverson. These media people would bend over for him back in his prime. Man was on of my fav players and changed alot of youths lives. I think iverson was the definition of "the price of admission". Yes he's been a goof but who hasn't in this planet?
iRaptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,175
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRaptor View Post
I think the media is pathetic. They have no more ideas for any stories so they keep bashing iverson. These media people would bend over for him back in his prime. Man was on of my fav players and changed alot of youths lives. I think iverson was the definition of "the price of admission". Yes he's been a goof but who hasn't in this planet?
Please, calm down. AI is and always has been a selfish me first player. And it's never been more obvious then the last year or two. He's got amazing individual talent but is not a team player. I agree with him being on this list because his numbers are overbloated due to his selfish play. He's the defenition of Chucker.JMHO
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,757
Representing:
Default

He was a pretty decent team player in Denver. I wouldn't say he was selfish in Philly either. He's had some pretty good assist totals hasn't he? He's a tough guy to build a team around, and now he has to change his game, because he just doesn't have the same body anymore, and that could be an issue. But he knows the game a little bit better than to just write him off as purely selfish.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,270
Representing:
Default

I think people are bashing because of his Post-Philly-Era. Not because of his time in Philly. His last season in to in Philly were getting bad, but before that people loved AI. Now, since he is trying to fit in with different teams, and still looking for money the media is jumping all over him.
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Why isnt Bosh on that list
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
CBA
Ashes to Ashes

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 475
Representing:
Default

Ok list overall, but I disagree w/ Vince and Smith being on the list. Redd deserves to be on that list. Maggette/Randolph were the 1st 2 names that I thought of when I read the title of the article. Maggette is the posterboy of selfish play. Thank God the Raptors never made a move for him a few yrs back.

Last edited by CBA; 08-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.
CBA is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,175
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
Why isnt Bosh on that list
Why would he be?

He is a 16Mil player putting up a 16Mil performance. When he's a max player he'll eventually on the list.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
mirin' Gao-sthetics

Distributor of Swag
 
CommunistCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memory Lane
Posts: 811
Representing:
Default

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title of this thread was "Zach Randolph" After viewing the top 10, where the heck is Danny Granger? Replace him with vince and replace AI with Redd!
CommunistCrunch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistCrunch View Post
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title of this thread was "Zach Randolph" After viewing the top 10, where the heck is Danny Granger? Replace him with vince and replace AI with Redd!
Sure Sanny Granger may not be a prolific scorer but if you say that about him, you have to put Durant on the list because they are both leading scorers on bad teams. However, Danny Granger is very tough. He can drive, shoot and he plays D well.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,693
Representing:
Default

I disagree on Camby.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
Sure Sanny Granger may not be a prolific scorer but if you say that about him, you have to put Durant on the list because they are both leading scorers on bad teams. However, Danny Granger is very tough. He can drive, shoot and he plays D well.
Durant?
give your reasons.

He's a sophomore, trying to carry a team on his back plus is clutch and he's not even being paid maximum.

Last edited by Someguy again; 08-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy again View Post
Durant?
give your reasons.

He's a sophomore, trying to carry a team on his back plus is clutch and he's not even being paid maximum.
Kevin Durant and Danny Granger are very similar though Granger has a very slight edge. I applaud KD for being th only good player on the team aside from Westbrook. (Jeff Green is decent) Both of them are decent shooters though Danny is a bit bette from 3. Both of them can drive. Both are very tough and will carry their team. Both can play some D though Granger is a bit better at it in my opinion. If you have Granger on an overrated list, you have to put Durant because they are so similar. Nothing against either of them.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
mirin' Gao-sthetics

Distributor of Swag
 
CommunistCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memory Lane
Posts: 811
Representing:
Default

25.8/5.1/2.7 with 1.0 steals and 1.5 blocks

Granger's jaw dropping stats make him look like a top 10 player in this league when he isn't even close. We have to look at his team as the reason why he put up such great stats. Last season his team's second scorer Mike Dunleavy was as healthy as the state of the economy. T.J. Ford, Troy Murphy and sometimes even Marquis Daniels became their second option at the offensive end. Their lack of a consistent performer cemented Granger's role as the de facto scorer, giving him the green light to shoot and drive at will, all done in a fast-paced system. We can see why his stats do not reflect his true value as a player.

I believe he will get better and shed the title of "overrated stat stuffer". I had faith in the guy before the Raptors picked Joey G ahead of him, as I have faith now. But as of this moment, he's unquestionably an overrated stat stuffer.
CommunistCrunch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Crawford is a chucking flow killer.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
finding your post helpful

Senior Member
 
LightsOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,443
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Crawford is a chucking flow killer.
no he's not, he shouldnt be on that list, hes been on teams that run and take bad shots (the old bulls, warriors, knicks) so how can he be a flow killer if theres no flow to begin with, just watch him on atl he'll have a roll on the team and you'll jizz your pants with amazement when you see that I'm right and you're wrong
LightsOut is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FoxSports.com Raptors preview Ammo Toronto Raptors 5 10-14-2009 12:51 AM
Foxsports: NBA's top 10 shooters jeffb Toronto Raptors 40 08-13-2009 01:41 PM
Foxsports: 10 most improved NBA teams this summer jeffb Toronto Raptors 43 08-05-2009 11:06 AM
FoxSports.com: Fan Reactions to Bargnani signing... Apollo Toronto Raptors 29 07-09-2009 12:13 PM
FoxSports.com's Top 10 NBA PG's Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 63 09-16-2008 12:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24