Floyd Mayweather's tweet
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default Floyd Mayweather's tweet

Mayweather tweeted on Monday: "JEREMY LIN IS A GOOD PLAYER BUT ALL THE HYPE IS BECAUSE HE'S ASIAN. BLACK PLAYERS DO WHAT HE DOES EVERY NIGHT AND DON'T GET THE SAME PRAISE."

I WAS a huge Mayweather fan, but what he said here pissed me off now i'm more of a FAIRweather fan than anything. Floyd was knocking on Pacquiao too for the same reason that he's an Asian thats why he getting all the pub. HELL NO! LIN ain't got recognized because he Asian...lets face it, basketball is not an Asian sport and in order for Lin to exceed expectations he needs to not only prove himself in the game he loves but also needs to overcome the social and racial barriers to make a name for himself. Matter of fact, he actually went through more obstacles than black athletes do just because he Asian. That's why Jeremy Lin got cut twice by Golden State and Houston because he Asian he's not suppose to be a baller....didn't even get a chance to prove he belongs. It would be like me saying in '97 Tiger Woods is a good player but he getting all the hype because he Black in a white men's sport of golf. Just shut ur trap FAIRweather and stop dodging Pacquiao...you would have to TKO Pacquaio to earn my respect again. STOP playing the race card because only insecure people play the race card. Jeremy Lin hustled his way into the history book of the NBA and he deserves ALL the accolades he getting now. NO ONE believed him except for himself....the cultural significance of Lin's ascent doesn't resonate nearly as much as his talents period.

Like Lebron said, if Lin can play, then he can play...that's all it's about. This game doesn't judge race. It judges your ability to play. shut up and enjoy the Jeremy Lin show, oh and fight with ur hands not your big mouth.
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,926
Representing:
Default

Quote:
BLACK PLAYERS DO WHAT HE DOES EVERY NIGHT AND DON'T GET THE SAME PRAISE.
What the fuck is he watching? Euro-league?
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

LOL.... Floyd must be trying to dethrone Tiger as the most hated athlete in pro sports.

What a buffoon.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,023
Representing:
Default

Way to put back the black community another 20 years Money.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,200
Representing:
Default

Hes just mad because CJ Watson stole his woman and his swag
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default

really? CJ Watson? which woman? he's got quite a few....i hope it's not the latest one he got cuz she supa hot
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,380
Representing:
Default

I thought it was a different kinda tweet
bock...bock....bock
Toby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Caliente View Post
LIN ain't got recognized because he Asian...
Stop playing the race card.

Quote:
lets face it, basketball is not an Asian sport
Interesting statement. Sounds like you're perpetuating a lot of what you claim others think.


Quote:
Matter of fact, he actually went through more obstacles than black athletes do just because he Asian. That's why Jeremy Lin got cut twice by Golden State and Houston because he Asian he's not suppose to be a baller....didn't even get a chance to prove he belongs.
Wrong. He did get a chance. Prior to joining the Knicks, he has more than a dozen games in which he received double digit minutes. Matter of fact, he shot 38%. He was not tearing it up.

The funny thing is, some around the league suspect that GS only gave him a chance precisely BECAUSE he is Asian and from the Bay area. Rather than work against him, it might have actually helped him get the initial foot in the door, due to a marketing/sentimental angle.

Quote:
STOP playing the race card
I agree. You and Floyd should both stop playing the race card.


Quote:
because only insecure people play the race card.
....*mirror*


Quote:
Jeremy Lin hustled his way into the history book of the NBA and he deserves ALL the accolades he getting now. NO ONE believed him except for himself....the cultural significance of Lin's ascent doesn't resonate nearly as much as his talents period.
Better.

Quote:
Like Lebron said, if Lin can play, then he can play...that's all it's about.
This game doesn't judge race. It judges your ability to play. shut up and enjoy the Jeremy Lin show, oh and fight with ur hands not your big mouth.
Exactly. Now stop acting like he was prevented from succeeding due to his race. You're getting close to acting like Floyd. Lin had a chance in GS. His 38% shooting didn't help his cause. He's not the first player to bounce around a couple of teams before sticking. Those guys weren't being discriminated against, either.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default

Ur right on some points, but I wasn't trying to play the race card like you were indicating though. i was caught up in the moment but Floyd wasn't....he's been saying the same shit all his life.

"LIN ain't got recognized because he Asian..."

maybe it's because I didnt finish my sentence, but i was saying Lin didn't get recognized because he's Asian, he got recognized because of his talent....that's what i'm trying to say there if you know what i mean.

and i'm just being real saying basketball is not an Asian sport, it's not what we excel at. Asian kids might play basketball for fun, but most of the time it's not a career option because the height is not there. Is it wrong to say that ping pong is more of an Asian sport?

I might have exaggerated there when i said he didn't get any chance in Golden State and Houston...but you can't really deny the fact that he didn't get offered any Division 1 scholarships after being named the first team All State player of the year in California due to his ethnicity. Wouldn't you say Earl Lloyd overcame the racial barrier when he suited up as the first black to play in an NBA game? Maybe you are just getting at me for the Golden State and Houston scenarios....but garbage minutes doesn't mean much, Darko Milicic was given plenty of minutes in the garbage times in Detroit but didn't shine until he got picked up and given legitimate court time in Minnesota. Plus Lin was shouldering the weight of the Asian population so he was stressed to produce, it wasn't until after he got to New York did he then loosen up and played for the right reasons instead of trying to please the fans.

I wasn't trying to play the race card....some of the stuff I said might sound like it but you have got to agree to some degree race plays a part in his journey to success. Otherwise how do you explain that so many schools missed out on him and so many teams skipped him until now? If he's so good how could he be overlooked for so long? it's hard to understand it unless you've been through it.....

I might be wrong and might be contradicting myself here and I thank you for pointing it out, but being the 1st Asian American to make it to the big stage might be a little harder than it looks no? While on the other hand Floyd is saying how black people are not getting props for doing what they do, heck like 80% of the NBA players are black what's not being recognized? I didn't say Lin was prevented from succeeding due to his race, but rather his path is more ragged than most due to his race.....it's not a race card, it's a fact.

Last edited by Carlito Caliente; 02-14-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,780
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Caliente View Post
I might be wrong and might be contradicting myself here and I thank you for pointing it out, but being the 1st Asian American to make it to the big stage might be a little harder than it looks no? While on the other hand Floyd is saying how black people are not getting props for doing what they do, heck like 80% of the NBA players are black what's not being recognized? I didn't say Lin was prevented from succeeding due to his race, but rather his path is more ragged than most due to his race.....it's not a race card, it's a fact.
Dear lord, the irony.
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jonas needs minutes

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,702
Representing:
Default

i hate how people are bringing race into what Lin is doing

i thought it had more to do with the bright lights of new york, or how about a guy who was 15 man on a roster, played for two teams where he couldn't get playing time, d league action, yao ming tried to get him to play in china, played for harvard in college

then explodes with four games no one in the nba ever seen coming, not just geting points but thrilling game closing shots that made the new york crowd a buzz,

best start by a starter in his first four games in the history of the nba

when you watched the highlights your in shock that he is doing that

my brother who hates basketball was talking about linsanity
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDPlease View Post
Dear lord, the irony.
yes the irony eh, it's hard to respect someone else's opinion of you while trying to stand your ground i guess
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Caliente View Post

i'm just being real saying basketball is not an Asian sport, it's not what we excel at. Asian kids might play basketball for fun, but most of the time it's not a career option because the height is not there. Is it wrong to say that ping pong is more of an Asian sport?
I'm simply saying it might contribute to the some of the same stereo-types that work against Asians.

Quote:
you can't really deny the fact that he didn't get offered any Division 1 scholarships after being named the first team All State player of the year in California due to his ethnicity.
I'm not certain about all the facts. Acie spoke about this a bit in another thread and the situation seemed more complicated. Lin made some choices, in the sense that he wanted to go to particular schools. I don't know off the top of my head what other players got schollys to schools like UCLA. But UCLA is a great ball program. Quite a few future NBA players don't receive scholly offers from UCLA despite playing very well in high school in California.

Quote:
Wouldn't you say Earl Lloyd overcame the racial barrier when he suited up as the first black to play in an NBA game?
Different time period. Really different. Different obstacles.

Quote:
Maybe you are just getting at me for the Golden State and Houston scenarios....but garbage minutes doesn't mean much, Darko Milicic was given plenty of minutes in the garbage times in Detroit but didn't shine until he got picked up and given legitimate court time in Minnesota.
Okay, suppose we go along with this example, how does this help prove the case Lin was cut because he's Asian? Was Darko cut because he is a euro? No. A number of guys bounce around a bit before they find the right opportunity that fits. It happens to players.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to play the race card....some of the stuff I said might sound like it but you have got to agree to some degree race plays a part in his journey to success.
I think the fans who talk about him make a bigger deal out of it than the people who scout and work in the NBA.


Quote:
Otherwise how do you explain that so many schools missed out on him and so many teams skipped him until now? If he's so good how could he be overlooked for so long? it's hard to understand it unless you've been through it.....
I've actually posted and article in antoher thread that touches on this. Aside from the real top players, it's hard to tell who the obvious difference makers will be. I mean, Bayless is not that great of a player, yet he averaged 30 ppg in summer league. Lots of prospects show flashes of brilliance at some point. It's not as easy as it seems to predict who will be a consistent high level player.

Quote:
I didn't say Lin was prevented from succeeding due to his race, but rather his path is more ragged than most due to his race.....it's not a race card, it's a fact.
-you're right that you didn't say "prevented from succeeding". I'm sorry for slightly misrepresnting your point.

-I'm still not 100% sure you can say his path was more ragged due to his race. I can definitely imagine him being exposed to slurs while playing ball, but some white and black players still here those too. Fans and opposing players will be mean when looking to get an advantage.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 02-14-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Anyway, we can all agree Floyd's tweet is lame.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,688
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
Anyway, we can all agree Floyd's tweet is lame.
At least he's admitting that he's a good player.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

It's well known mayweather doesn't like asians... like Pac man
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default

well you definitely looked at it from a more unbiased perspective Bill, thanks for setting me straight
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
At least he's admitting that he's a good player.
That's true! Silver lining.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
no more AA and Primo Pasta

Member
 
Carlito Caliente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 119
Representing:
Default

im just mad that he's not fighting Pacquiao and it's like Mayweather doesn't have enough time on his hands that he has to troll on another sport
Carlito Caliente is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,487
Representing:
Default

as a Taiwanese-Canadian that plays basketball, i can tell you that i can relate to what Jeremy Lin has gone thru, but obviously to a lesser degree because the highest level i ever played at was high school ball. i i used to go to my local rec center and they play 5 on 5 full court. i would be the only asian there. people usually already have their teams together so i had to go around and ask if anyone needed an extra guy. everyone would say no and i could tell from the look on their face what they were thinking. in the end i gathered 5 guys without a team and call next. and we would win and only then would they see that i can play. so all the times after that i didn't need to find a team. people would come ask me. you can sit there and think that race has nothing to do with it, but unless you've gone thru it, you don't really understand.
its like jeremy playing aau ball when hes 12-13 and people telling him to play another sport. who's to say that if a DIV 1 school gave him a scholarship he wouldn't get drafted and his road to the nba totally different? once your in the NBA there's no complaints, thats ur opportunity right there and its up to you to make the most of it. but it was his road to the nba was tougher than most.
people like a good story, he could be white or black but if he had to overcome of sort of adversity and make it, the story would be just as big. being is new york helps, being asian also helps. but those aren't the biggest reasons
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24