Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/finding-formula-ultimate-success-nba-20671.html)

powerfulpanda 06-28-2011 03:22 PM

Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA
 
The Dallas Mavericks winning the 2011 NBA championship is basically being viewed as a positive for the NBA, at least for those who can get past Mark Cuban’s success.

It’s likely an aberration, like the 2004 Detroit Pistons, because the Mavs’ formula, in effect, went contrary to the general conventional wisdom about playing for a championship.

Of course, I’ll also overlook Game 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers, when Dirk Nowitzki shot 13 free throws in the fourth quarter to save the Mavs (Portland shot 13 all game) as it should/could/would have been 3-1 going back to Dallas in round one. But, I digress.

The general formula for ultimate success is having two or three elite players. Here’s a look at how many teams view their ability to compete for a title:

-- Three top five players (Lakers and Celtics of 60’s and 80’s), or;

-- Two players in the top five at their positions (Heat, Bulls, Lakers), or;

-- Three players in the top eight to 10 at their positions (Spurs), or;

-- Four players in the top 10 to 12 at their positions (Pistons, Mavericks).

Here’s my rating of the top 25 players at each position at the end of the 2010-11 season. I always give the edge to my view of impact on the game.

Based on these rankings, the Heat, Bulls, Hawks, Thunder, Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, Grizzlies and Spurs should be the elite teams going forward, though MVP candidates generally are tiebreakers. As it was with the Mavericks this season. Though what it suggests with no team with three top players is, as we’ve seen, the NBA continues to be wide open for surprise teams like the Mavs to win. It starts to come down to not losing a game in the playoffs you should win and making some shots when it was most unexpected, all of which is good for the NBA. The top teams have stars, but a lot of teams have a chance. Though Miami remains the favorite with two top two players. Maybe the team most on the edge of a breakthrough and most in need of a shooting guard is Memphis with three top six players.

Finding the formula for ultimate success in the NBA | Bulls

things to note:
calderon doesn't make top 25 pg
bargnani 21st center
demar 12th sg
raptors have no one in the top 25 in pg, sf, pf

gnarl 06-28-2011 04:49 PM

Give it a year or two, if DD and ED continue to develop at their potential, they will be top 25.

If Casey's defensive schemes can rub off on Bargs combined with his scoring, he can be a top 10 centre in this league no problem.

But those are all big "ifs"

Don Vito 06-28-2011 04:52 PM

We are rebuilding, so we are sitting in the same position as other rebuilding teams. If you are a rebuilding team you're lucky to get two players in the top 25 the 5 positions. I really wouldn't worry about this, we are moving in the right direction regardless. This only applies to championship contending teams, considering we haven't made the playoffs in a couple of years we are not contending.

However, this would apply a few years down the road.

Metallikid 06-28-2011 05:27 PM

I looked; his lists are bs so not having Calderon as a top 25 pg is bologna.

powerfulpanda 06-28-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallikid (Post 554952)
I looked; his lists are bs so not having Calderon as a top 25 pg is bologna.

i would have calderon above stuckey and ridnour who are 24 and 25. so not really a big snub.

but amir is definitely top 25 PF

and as much as i'm not a fan of bargnani.....21 is a bit low. i'd put him in the mid teens

Blaze 06-28-2011 05:40 PM

Lolll it's kinda of funny because I was thinking about something along the same lines as this today. Toronto has a bright future ahead of them. Demar is a developing star, Ed davis is a potential star, Bayless (And maybe I say this because I'm huge Bayless fan) has all the tools to become a very good player and perennial all-star, JV is potential star, and because were not going to be good next year and because it's such a stacked ass draft class, the SF we get (Think: Harrison Barnes, Quincy Miller...) will also be a potential star. Then it's only a matter of waiting till the develop. I don't include Bargs in this equation because I believe he should be traded.

Superjudge 06-28-2011 05:45 PM

they say Miami only has two top players??

Say what you want about Bosh, but if you say he isn't a top five PF in the NBA then I'm sorry, you're an idiot.

powerfulpanda 06-28-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 554960)
they say Miami only has two top players??

Say what you want about Bosh, but if you say he isn't a top five PF in the NBA then I'm sorry, you're an idiot.

they have bosh ranked 7th and looking at the players ahead of him, its not out of line....
however they have griffin 2nd, which i think is too high, but i would still rank griffin higher than bosh

Superjudge 06-28-2011 06:00 PM

ya, I guess. But Bosh is a great player. I mean, Toronto could use a guy like him at teh 4 spot!

;)

Blaze 06-28-2011 06:01 PM

Wow Alridge is way too high on that list. I would put Z-Bo, Timmy, Bosh and K-Love before him. Alridge is crappier version of Bosh, why is he higher than him. :confused2: And Blake's not the second best PF in the game, not yet anyway.

Steph Curry is better than half the people in front of him and Andre Miller shouldn't be in the top 15.

The list that seems the most right is the SF.

Someguy again 06-28-2011 08:14 PM

aldridge was absolutely on fire this season, like when he shot in the paint 90% of the time it would go in, he make a massive point this year with his performance and has taken the reigns of the trailblazers as their franchise player, I would kill to make a trade for him, even if it means trading some pieces

pzabby 06-28-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 555011)
aldridge was absolutely on fire this season, like when he shot in the paint 90% of the time it would go in, he make a massive point this year with his performance and has taken the reigns of the trailblazers as their franchise player, I would kill to make a trade for him, even if it means trading some pieces

bargnani for him straight up ;)

Someguy again 06-28-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzabby (Post 555018)
bargnani for him straight up ;)

whos going to do our primo pasta commercials now? ARE YOU MAD? how is the franchise supposed to survive?


:throw:

Blaze 06-28-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 555011)
aldridge was absolutely on fire this season, like when he shot in the paint 90% of the time it would go in, he make a massive point this year with his performance and has taken the reigns of the trailblazers as their franchise player, I would kill to make a trade for him, even if it means trading some pieces

He was and I won't deny he had a fantastic season but Zach randolph put in more work than him, K-Love had better stats than him, timmy is timmy, bosh is a better rebounder and defender.

carp 06-28-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 555011)
aldridge was absolutely on fire this season, like when he shot in the paint 90% of the time it would go in, he make a massive point this year with his performance and has taken the reigns of the trailblazers as their franchise player, I would kill to make a trade for him, even if it means trading some pieces

Aldridge is awesome. He's definitely a guy any team should want. I think he's much better than guys like Love and Bosh, and though Z-Bo showed he has huge stones..... I think I'd take LA given age and salary.

Someguy again 06-28-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze (Post 555049)
He was and I won't deny he had a fantastic season but Zach randolph put in more work than him, K-Love had better stats than him, timmy is timmy, bosh is a better rebounder and defender.

zach randolph yes, but hes in his full prime, aldrige is just entering it. love is on the twolves, look at the top rebounder and scorer on that team, beasley? tim duncan has probably his worst season in his entire career, though still solid, he's just not at that level of dominance anymore.

only point i agree with you is bosh

carp 06-28-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 555059)
zach randolph yes, but hes in his full prime, aldrige is just entering it. love is on the twolves, look at the top rebounder and scorer on that team, beasley? tim duncan has probably his worst season in his entire career, though still solid, he's just not at that level of dominance anymore.

only point i agree with you is bosh

Is Bosh really a better defender? I just don't see it.

Blaze 06-28-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy again (Post 555059)
zach randolph yes, but hes in his full prime, aldrige is just entering it. love is on the twolves, look at the top rebounder and scorer on that team, beasley? tim duncan has probably his worst season in his entire career, though still solid, he's just not at that level of dominance anymore.

only point i agree with you is bosh

Yeah but the list pertains to currently, and currently Zach Randolph is better than Aldridge. Tim Duncan stats are very deceiving, they aren't as good as previous years because he's only been playing about 27 minutes a game.

As for Love its on the border for me, switch Aldridge and Love, and I really, really doubt that Aldridge can put up the same numbers as Love did. 15 rebounds per game that's unheard of in recent years and he still put up twenty points per game on a scorching percentage. Alridge on the wolves would just score more, maybe on a worst percentage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 555064)
Is Bosh really a better defender? I just don't see it.

Bosh has become a very solid defender now in maimi. And as bad as bosh was before he still was better than alridge. Alridge, along with Love, is virtually non-existent on D, although Aldrige has progressed this year.

Toby 06-29-2011 03:06 AM

When you trade Josh Howard and his bad knee, for 2 starters and a bench guy (don't matter if the team they play for is bad).... that's a good trade. Helped 'em win the title.

TORaptor4Ever 06-29-2011 07:46 AM

Very curious to see what Aldridge has to offer next season.

He got A LOT of love last season.... some of which was certainly justified... but he's going to have to prove that he can put up those numbers consistently over the next few years to surpass guys like Bosh in my mind.

We'll see how it goes.

And yeah lol.... the idea that Miami "only has 2 great players" is kind of silly.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24