Detroit Shock Sign 50 Year Old HOF Lieberman
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,245
Representing:
Default Detroit Shock Sign 50 Year Old HOF Lieberman

WOW .... Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman who most recent has been an analyst with ESPN was signed to a 7 day contract to play with the Detroit Shock of the WNBA. Oh ya, I forgot to mention she just turned 50 years old.

Link - http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=3503012
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

I'm just gonna come out and say it

The fact that the brawl involved the league's one and only name and just so happened to be in the same place as the Artest shit, combined with this news... I'm almost ready to say the WNBA is trying to get publicity here, trying to get anyone, anyone at all talking about them.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Ya think?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,704
Representing:
Default

how does the WNBA still exist?
seriously?
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,245
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post
I'm just gonna come out and say it

The fact that the brawl involved the league's one and only name and just so happened to be in the same place as the Artest shit, combined with this news... I'm almost ready to say the WNBA is trying to get publicity here, trying to get anyone, anyone at all talking about them.
Well its certainly working.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
how does the WNBA still exist?
seriously?

It's actually not that bad of a product.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,704
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 View Post
It's actually not that bad of a product.
how many games have you ever watched Acie?
dont lie.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
how many games have you ever watched Acie?
dont lie.
Whole games or parts of games?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Honestly, I think it's more sexism than anything that kills the WNBA, unfortunately. The fact that they're women playing sports is privy to more jokes than just having a lot of layups.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

In hockey, women can skate just as fast as men and check just as hard.

Womens soccer and mens socer isnt really any different(exception being mabey the distance of the kicks)

Never seen womens football so Ill leave that out.

And even for us barbarians womens MMA is just as good as mens.

But when it comes to basketball the legnth and size of the men makes it easier for them to dunk, alley oop etc and that whole facet of the game is missing in womens basketball

On a side note if this 50 year old women can still ball then go to it.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Dunking aside, the women are every bit as skilled as the men.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie View Post
In hockey, women can skate just as fast as men and check just as hard.
Was that serious?

Because it is just blatantly incorrect. I have no idea where that came from.

First of all...there is no body checking in women's hockey. It's not allowed. Body checking is a penalty. Just like for 10 year old boys.

They cannot skate just as fast. Not at all.

The best female womens hockey player in history, Haley Wickenheiser, was a big deal in the Canadian media because she was going to play in a mens league.

That league? The Swedish B Division.

A pro womens hockey league would be, if imaginable, an even bigger joke than the WNBA.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 View Post
Dunking aside, the women are every bit as skilled as the men.
Never meant to insinuate they weren't but my point is the dunking aspect is what draw alot of people to the sport. It is a game that the most exciting plays are above the rim and most of the women cannot play up there.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adequate Swag View Post
Was that serious?

Because it is just blatantly incorrect. I have no idea where that came from.

First of all...there is no body checking in women's hockey. It's not allowed. Body checking is a penalty. Just like for 10 year old boys.

They cannot skate just as fast. Not at all.

The best female womens hockey player in history, Haley Wickenheiser, was a big deal in the Canadian media because she was going to play in a mens league.

That league? The Swedish B Division.

A pro womens hockey league would be, if imaginable, an even bigger joke than the WNBA.
Really, i never really watch hockey that much but I guess my point was...
fuck I forget what my point.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member, Eh?
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,604
Representing:
Default

I don't know what's more silly. The fact that she signed for 7 days are that she's 50
Major is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Why so silly?

I assume a 7 day contract is the equivalent of an NBA 10 day contract and if she can actually play then who cares how old she is. Did anyone call Gordie Howe silly towards the end of his career?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 View Post
Why so silly?

I assume a 7 day contract is the equivalent of an NBA 10 day contract and if she can actually play then who cares how old she is. Did anyone call Gordie Howe silly towards the end of his career?
When he signed a contract to play one game with the Detroit Vipers after being retired for a number of years?

Yes, yes they did.

I get your point, but when Howe was playing at 50 he hadn't been out of the game for a number of years.

Although, unlike the Howe/Vipers thing, this isn't necessarily a total publicity stunt. The Mailwoman went down in that fight, so they actually need a body, and I don't think theres pro level womens ball players just kickin around. Theres no WNBDL. So it's not that silly...they need a player.

Last edited by Adequate Swag; 07-24-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

I was talking about Gordie playing competively until he was 52, not when he signed with the Vipers.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF Affiliate
 
Adequate Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 513
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 View Post
I was talking about Gordie playing competively until he was 52, not when he signed with the Vipers.
Fair enough, but Gordie didn't retire for many years to be a TV analyst at any point during his career.

And if anyone's interested, she went 0-1 with 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 9 minutes.

So...good for her, I guess.
Adequate Swag is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 22,046
Representing:
Default

Actually Gordie retired for a season or two in the early 70's.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CIS, TSN sign two-year agreement BRAY88 Oh Canada! 0 09-20-2009 10:55 PM
Detroit News: Pistons Re-Sign Big Ben Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 14 08-08-2009 03:24 PM
Gordon and Charlie V sign with Detroit Ball Don't Lie NBA Talk 38 07-02-2009 05:42 AM
Comparing the Raptors of this year to last year. RicktheRuler Toronto Raptors 24 02-21-2009 07:24 PM
Cavs sign West to 2 year contract. Kirby NBA Talk 8 09-13-2008 08:14 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24