Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Cavs embarking on a "rich man's rebuild" (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/cavs-embarking-rich-mans-rebuild-19731.html)

Acie 03-19-2011 09:43 PM

Cavs embarking on a "rich man's rebuild"
 
Quote:

Rival executives are watching with great interest as the Cavaliers take an unorthodox approach to rebuilding after the departure of LeBron James. The Cavs have embarked on what one executive called "a rich man's rebuild," taking on Baron Davis' contract in exchange for a prime first-round pick from the Clippers. Look for the Cavs to explore more ways to acquire high picks by taking on money around the draft. Though rival executives believe Cleveland will re-examine its deadline pursuit of Richard Hamilton after the season, a person familiar with the organization's thinking said the team isn't comfortable at the moment with Hamilton's two years and $25 million remaining. Either way, the risk for the Cavs, who would have six first-round picks in the next three drafts if they took on Hamilton or another high-priced veteran for another pick, is that their payroll will be much higher than the typical rebuilding team's. Thus, GM Chris Grant and assistant GM David Griffin will have to hit on those picks. For the record, I like their chances. Either way, it's an interesting example of a team playing to its advantages even in a disadvantaged small market where their resources to acquire picks far outweigh their ability to attract free agents.
LINK - CBS Sports

kishan13 03-19-2011 11:04 PM

If they're picks turn out to be busts then they're going to be skrewed. I prefer our way of rebuilding instead.

DonMughal 03-19-2011 11:40 PM

Imagine all of their drafted players just leave after four years LOL The rebuilding will go on and on.

Dark Knight 03-19-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 521325)
Imagine all of their drafted players just leave after four years LOL The rebuilding will go on and on.

So they would essentially be like... us? :mischief:

DonMughal 03-19-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 521327)
So they would essentially be like... us? :mischief:

We have a much better shot at keeping our players. Toronto is a huge market whether it's cold or not...and all of our youngsters love Toronto.

White Vegas. Barbosa called it very similiar to New York City.

jeffb 03-20-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 521331)
We have a much better shot at keeping our players. Toronto is a huge market whether it's cold or not...and all of our youngsters love Toronto.

White Vegas. Barbosa called it very similiar to New York City.

If we don't start moving up next season don't be shocked if we start hearing about Derozan eyeing a way out. First three years in the league and no winning will get him extremely frustrated. IMO next season (if there is one) is a big one to start showing Derozan, Davis and whoever we draft and sign this summer that we're progressing.

pzabby 03-20-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 521332)
If we don't start moving up next season don't be shocked if we start hearing about Derozan eyeing a way out. First three years in the league and no winning will get him extremely frustrated. IMO next season (if there is one) is a big one to start showing Derozan, Davis and whoever we draft and sign this summer that we're progressing.

we were winning last season.., sure not celtics winning but we were only one game under .500 i believe he will sign an extension.. 2 years with PO i believe. 4 more years with DD, ED, Amir, and whoever we draft this year i believe weel have to be a .500 if not close to team. look up my friends, east is getting old.

MISAM38 03-20-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

We have a much better shot at keeping our players. Toronto is a huge market whether it's cold or not...and all of our youngsters love Toronto.
White Vegas. Barbosa called it very similiar to New York City
.
Yeah but then again, our city "smells different" and theres no NBA LP.

Chiggmo 03-20-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISAM38 (Post 521363)
Yeah but then again, our city "smells different" and theres no NBA LP.

You can't get the special cables to do stuff either.

Alex 03-20-2011 01:39 PM

There's NBA LP. Bosh is retarded. AND there's NBA TV.

MISAM38 03-20-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

There's NBA LP. Bosh is retarded. AND there's NBA TV.
I hope ur referring to NBA TV Canada, as our NBA TV. Cuz let me tell u thheres a huuuge difference between the US NBA TV, and ours.

surreyjack 03-20-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMughal (Post 521331)
We have a much better shot at keeping our players. Toronto is a huge market whether it's cold or not...and all of our youngsters love Toronto.

White Vegas. Barbosa called it very similiar to New York City.

I would argue Cleavland has a better shot at keeping players because they are willing to spend money to win. Toronto is only willing to spend money if it means profits.

They love Toronto until they figure out owners don't give two fucks about winning.

pzabby 03-20-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack (Post 521471)
I would argue Cleavland has a better shot at keeping players because they are willing to spend money to win. Toronto is only willing to spend money if it means profits.

They love Toronto until they figure out owners don't give two fucks about winning.

thankgoodness they give one ;)

Premiere 03-20-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishan13 (Post 521308)
If they're picks turn out to be busts then they're going to be skrewed. I prefer our way of rebuilding instead.

Care to elaborate?
I see nothing special in how we're rebuilding this team.

DonMughal 03-20-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack (Post 521471)
I would argue Cleavland has a better shot at keeping players because they are willing to spend money to win. Toronto is only willing to spend money if it means profits.

They love Toronto until they figure out owners don't give two fucks about winning.

Well atleast from a city standpoint, it's not even close.

And you say profits.....won't bringing talented and entertaining players and winning equal more profit?

MISAM38 03-20-2011 08:24 PM

NBA players really dont give a shit which city theyre playin in ( although for some reason players always seem to draw a fit , when it comes to Toronto) . They only care about winning championships and etc... What does it matter that Toronto is cold, or it "looks" like NYC. Players wont come here for that, and same goes for Cleveland. If our team is good, players will want to come, if it isnt, then they wont want to play here. Every1 wanted to play in Cleveland because they had LeBron, not because Cleveland was a good city to live in or watever. Nobody is gonna want to play for Cleveland now that they are in the bottom of the standings.

pzabby 03-21-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISAM38 (Post 521573)
NBA players really dont give a shit which city theyre playin in ( although for some reason players always seem to draw a fit , when it comes to Toronto) . They only care about winning championships and etc... What does it matter that Toronto is cold, or it "looks" like NYC. Players wont come here for that, and same goes for Cleveland. If our team is good, players will want to come, if it isnt, then they wont want to play here. Every1 wanted to play in Cleveland because they had LeBron, not because Cleveland was a good city to live in or watever. Nobody is gonna want to play for Cleveland now that they are in the bottom of the standings.

youre partially right because if players had a choice between two relatively equally good teams to play on with identical contracts, theyd pick the more favoured city, for example L.A vs Boston, imo most players will choose L.A. this is why, even if we get good, itll be hard to draw in players compared to different cities since were "canadian and ride polar bears"

powerfulpanda 03-21-2011 11:23 AM

I actually think this is a very smart way to rebuild - taking on big contracts and receiving draft picks.
like baron davis expires in 2 years, you aren't going to contend in 2 years. so take on that contract, recieve good draft picks and in 2 years davis is off the books and u have cap space to go along with some young talent. do the same thing with a couple more big contracts and this is a very good strategy

dfunkie1 03-21-2011 03:09 PM

personally, i think it a horrible way to rebuild. you're going to be surrounding your youth with disgruntle overpaid poisonous players who are just cashing their checks. its going to inspire the youthful players with a losers mentality. if cleveland wants to do it right, they trade for these contracts and buy these players out. definitely a rich man's rebuild, but they at least won't have to worry about these max. deals ruining the mentality and taking away the minutes from the players who need time on the court.

LX 03-21-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Filth (Post 521962)
personally, i think it a horrible way to rebuild. you're going to be surrounding your youth with disgruntle overpaid poisonous players who are just cashing their checks. its going to inspire the youthful players with a losers mentality. if cleveland wants to do it right, they trade for these contracts and buy these players out. definitely a rich man's rebuild, but they at least won't have to worry about these max. deals ruining the mentality and taking away the minutes from the players who need time on the court.

heyyyyyy - welcome back funk:djsmile:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24