Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Talk (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/)
-   -   Blazers Might Go After Deng? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f6/blazers-might-go-after-deng-2724.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 07-22-2008 11:14 AM

Blazers Might Go After Deng?
 
If the Bulls don't lock up Deng to a long term deal soon, he'll accept the qualifying offer and become a free agent next summer. If so, you can expect the Blazers to make a push for him considering they are one of the few teams that has a considerable amount of cap to work with next summer.

Could you imagine how scary that team would be with the addition of Luol? WOW :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daily Herald
The Blazers are a dangerous opponent for the Bulls right now, because they have an opening for Deng on the floor and will have cap room next year when Raef LaFrentz and Steve Francis come off the books.

Portland is one of several teams expected to have significant cap room in 2009.

Source - Click here

Kirby 07-22-2008 11:18 AM

Holy crap..
Oden/Przybilla-Don't know how to spell
Aldridge/Frye
Deng/Outlaw
Roy/Fernandez
Bayless/Rodriguez

Snooch 07-22-2008 11:23 AM

I aint scared, at least until the team actually starts winning. Oden has proved absolutly nothing to me and could very well end up being a Ratliff type of player. Aldridge aint going to get much better nor is Roy. Fernandez will not be happy over here backing up Roy nor would Outlaw be happy backing up Deng.

The Bulls used to be viewed as scary with all their young players as well as NY pick, look what happened there.

Besides they are going to have to sign some pretty serious contracts of their own very soon, so we'll see how that goes.

Edit:
Thats like saying the Rapts could resign JO cheap and sign Wade in 2010 leaving us with
JO
Bosh
Kaps
Wade
Jose

Ball Don't Lie 07-22-2008 11:28 AM

You should be scared, they have like 14 players thatd be rotation players on any team. Getting Deng would be nice for them for a year or two, but then a lot of the backups who arent getting as many minutes may bolt like you mentioned, but then again who cares when your lineup is Bayless/Roy/Deng/Aldridge/Oden. Thats insane. I think theyd be fine at the backup big positions with Frye/Pryz not commanding that many minutes anyway, but keeping Outlaw/Fernandez/both may be tough with Roy/Deng starting and taking a lot of the minutes.

Its unlikely to happen anyway so their lineup now is balanced as is and guys should get the minutes they want/deserve...for now. I expect a playoff birth this upcoming season.

Snooch 07-22-2008 11:32 AM

oh I think they can make the playoffs.

The best thing for that team is to let them grow. If Oden lives up to his hype(just dant beleive it all) then they will be pretty good with what they got.

Adequate Swag 07-22-2008 11:56 AM

This team is downright scary already. Forget adding Deng...that would put them into powerhouse territory.

Roy and Aldridge are both excellent players already, and I have no idea why you would say they aren't going to get better Snooch. They've both played only 2 years. We expect Bargs to get better do we not? I'm not sure you could find me an example of any top notch NBA player who has peaked in their 2nd year. Those two can have a franchise built around them..they are both that good.

And THEN you add allegedly the best big man prospect in the last decade, who is going to be playing as pressure free as any number 1 pick in recent memory. He won't need to be a primary offensive option at all, and he can focus on developing a nice low post game while he rebounds and blocks shots. In addition, sitting out a year has already lowered people expectations from him because of the surgery. He's in a great position to succeed.

And they've got two young point guards, and I think Bayless is going to be a real player.

And they're strong two deep at basically every position.

I don't even want to think about the potential this team would have if they added Deng. Kevin Pritchard has been the best GM in the league over the past few seasons, and if that continues this roster could get ridiculous.

Ball Don't Lie 07-22-2008 12:23 PM

The best part of this whole thing for Portland is that their GM can acquire all this talent and not have to worry about the cap at all because their owner is the richest owner in Sports and WILL pay whatever he has to for a winner. If he had to deal with the lux tax like other GM's then we wouldnt even be talking about Portland. Imagine if Pritchard was GMing PHX, he probably wouldnt have even made a move yet this offseason because theyre so cheap and arent committed to winning.

Snooch 07-22-2008 12:29 PM

Well, Lamarcus hasn't improved any statistically from year 1 to 2 so I cant see that increasing with the great Oden playing beside him. Oden is bad on offense so that leaves other teams the ability to clog lanes on Roy and Lamarcus making it a bit more difficult on them.

Roy is a very good talent and I could see him getting a bit better just not into MJ or Lebron or even Wade status.

Oden has yet to prove anything, whether it is easy on him or not he still has to perform.

Kirby 07-22-2008 12:33 PM

If they can succeed on the offensive end with Pryzbilla playing C, they can do the same with Oden.

Before we think about next year, who's Deng going to sign with this year?

Ball Don't Lie 07-22-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Well, Lamarcus hasn't improved any statistically from year 1 to 2 so I cant see that increasing with the great Oden playing beside him
.

Usually when good PF's get a very good center beside them their numbers skyrocket because they dont have to do as much on D(see Amare)

Quote:

Oden is bad on offense so that leaves other teams the ability to clog lanes on Roy and Lamarcus making it a bit more difficult on them.
Odens gonna be under the basket. You leave to help off him hes gonna dunk it.

Adequate Swag 07-22-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie (Post 45146)
Well, Lamarcus hasn't improved any statistically from year 1 to 2 so I cant see that increasing with the great Oden playing beside him. Oden is bad on offense so that leaves other teams the ability to clog lanes on Roy and Lamarcus making it a bit more difficult on them.

Roy is a very good talent and I could see him getting a bit better just not into MJ or Lebron or even Wade status.

Oden has yet to prove anything, whether it is easy on him or not he still has to perform.

He's proven that hes an athletic 7 footer who understand the game and knows how to play defense. He could not put up an FGA all year and still be an effective presence for them.

And Aldridge doubled his scoring average from years 1 to 2...so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say he didn't improve. He was being talked about for most improved.

And Roy doesn't have to be Lebron or Wade because he's got a much better team around him. And his game is different anyway. If you watch him play you'll notice that he forces the issue himself far less than Lebron, Wade and most other superstars. He took 500 less shots than Lebron last year...he plays a very different type of game.

And thriller, you're right, they do have alot of cash to work with. What's impressive though is their current roster doesn't have a high payroll. Basically every big move he's made has been cost effective, so he theoretically could have done the same thing with a team like Phoenix.

Almost all of their key players were drafted by the organization or acquired through draft day deals. So yeah...he's got money to spend, which will come in handy when all these guys get off of their rookie deals. But at this point, he's built a (probable) playoff team with more potential for greatness than maybe any team in the league, and he's done it on rookie contracts.

And they'll most likely have another mid first round pick next year, where they can fill a need at the very least.

The direction they are heading in is a testament to the quality of the entire management and scouting team they've got over there.

Adequate Swag 07-22-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thriller92 (Post 45149)
.
Usually when good PF's get a very good center beside them their numbers skyrocket because they dont have to do as much on D(see Amare)

Excellent point. Plus it's not like Oden is going to be taking away a whole lot of his offensive oppurtunities.

And Aldridge has the versatility to play a little inside out with Oden. He shoots from mid range and handles well for a big man, which should match well with Odens down low banging.

Ball Don't Lie 07-22-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

What's impressive though is their current roster doesn't have a high payroll.
Yeah, but it will. In getting all these young guys and top draft picks you know youre going to have to pay them eventually, not even getting to the guys they already have had for a couple years. Theyre gonna have to let go 2 of Rudy/Outlaw/Webster I think in the next couple years, but it wont hurt them too much because their starting lineup is pretty much set forever and filling out the bench with good vets wont be hard once they start winning big.

INSIDER 07-22-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie (Post 45146)
Well, Lamarcus hasn't improved any statistically from year 1 to 2 so I cant see that increasing with the great Oden playing beside him.

are you kidding?
maybe you should do a little research before posting... Aldridge's scoring jumped from 9ppg to 18ppg from year 1 and 2.
his rebs went up from 5 to 7.5.
thats an insane improvement man!
and with Oden there making life easier, aldridge will benefit even more.
he wont have to battle as much down low and can work off the blocks and on the weak side.

jeffb 07-22-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 45156)
are you kidding?
maybe you should do a little research before posting... Aldridge's scoring jumped from 9ppg to 18ppg from year 1 and 2.
his rebs went up from 5 to 7.5.
thats an insane improvement man!
and with Oden there making life easier, aldridge will benefit even more.
he wont have to battle as much down low and can work off the blocks and on the weak side.

:hahaha:

Snooch 07-22-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 45156)
are you kidding?
maybe you should do a little research before posting... Aldridge's scoring jumped from 9ppg to 18ppg from year 1 and 2.
his rebs went up from 5 to 7.5.
thats an insane improvement man!
and with Oden there making life easier, aldridge will benefit even more.
he wont have to battle as much down low and can work off the blocks and on the weak side.

Wow and his minutes played doubled as well, to almost double points per game, and almost double rebounds in twice the amount of time available, Wow that is totally amazing.

Wow to almost double you point average and almost double you rebound average per game with a 6 point increase in usage rate is UNBELEIVABLE!!!

Wow to loose 5 points in offenssive rating and loose 2 points in defensive rating with increased usage is AWESOME!!!!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...aldrila01.html

So, statistcally, there really wasnt that much of an improvement in his play.(numbers dont lie)

'trane 07-22-2008 02:03 PM

numbers do lie snooch. there's lies, damn lies and statistics... maybe he got more burn because he was more confident and his overall quality of play and his contribution had improved enough to warrant it. how many players actually have an exponential increase in statistical production when their playing time goes up?

Acie 07-22-2008 02:08 PM

No need to crunch numbers.

All that one had to do to see that Aldridge improved by leaps and bounds was watch a Blazer's game.

INSIDER 07-22-2008 02:10 PM

sighhh... you're pulling at straws.
just admit that you had no clue about his ppg/reb jump.
otherwise you wouldnt have written this gem:

Quote:

Well, Lamarcus hasn't improved any statistically from year 1 to 2
i dont know about anyone else here but i'm pretty sure stats = ppg, rebs, etc.
if you had mentioned his offensive rating originally, then you would have an arguement.
and no offense, but when the hell does anyone look at someone's ratings?
are you Hollinger?

Snooch 07-22-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 45180)
numbers do lie snooch. there's lies, damn lies and statistics... maybe he got more burn because he was more confident and his overall quality of play and his contribution had improved enough to warrant it. how many players actually have an exponential increase in statistical production when their playing time goes up?

Well, truth be told his overall per(not a huge fan of) did go up by 1.4.

Im not saying he didn't improve, nor am I saying he wont improve in the future I am just saying he isn't going to turn into a Garnett of even a Bosh for that matter. His improvement this past year wasnt as ridiculous considering that his playing time did in fact double.

Roy became much more effecient this past season and is a very effective player but I really cant see him ever being a 28ppg scorer, he is very effective in a team concept and when money comes calling in a couple of years there will be a decline in his efficiency.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24