Blazers low balling Batum - Page 3
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,380
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
it's funny how quickly people change their minds on youth. Derozan last year was the messiah, the new vince. now, he's being thrown out for batum. Batum is good, but Derozan is better. comeon guys.
well batum is underused in portland (which makes the trailblazers disgustingly scary), so we can't really judge the two prospects, but after what we all saw during the FIBA tournaments last summer, nicolas does cover more holes on this team more than derozan. still i like derozan and i feel conflicted about thinking of trading away such a promising player, but if it came down to something like this, i would do it.

or we can all wait for harrison barnes.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
it's funny how quickly people change their minds on youth. Derozan last year was the messiah, the new vince. now, he's being thrown out for batum. Batum is good, but Derozan is better. comeon guys.
Batum was the better overall player last year, and he's the better player this year.
I wasn't on this forum last year, so I have no idea what was going on. But I'd assume people were extremely high on DeMar's upside, and he still has a ton. But so does Batum. The guy is almost 6'8 in socks and he has a 7'4 wingspan. He can shoot, defend, jump and run as well as any young SF. The upside is crazy.
Nothing really changed.

I doubt they'd give up Batum for DeMar though. Why would they? Just to get one extra year on low salary? Maybe, but it would be so stupid. They can compete with this current group. Batum for DeMar is a downgrade for Blazers right now, and they have Wes Matthews and Crawford to play the 2.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,640
Representing:
Default

Why trade for him when we can just sign him? Assuming the Blazers play hardball. We're trying to acquire young assets not trade them for each other people.

Its not surprising how this board hasnt changed a lick with the what have you done for me lately mentality. Ed Davis and Derozan are pieces you want to keep and see what you have, not trade them away in their 2nd year because they havent started the season fantastically. Give them some time people. Its not like we're trying to win now anyway
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

well. he's restricted + the 2012 free agency will be brutally competitive. so the realistic/sensible way would be trade and extend.
an 'eat your cake and keep it' very unlikely here.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #45 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,842
Representing:
Default

We're going to have to spend money on someone; Batum seems like a great candidate. Shores up the SF spot while putting JJ deep on the bench.

Jose/Jerryd/Forbes
DeMar/Leandro
Batum/Kleiza/Johnson
Bargnani/Davis
Valancuinas/Johnson/Magloire

+ Lottery Pick
Metallikid is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #46 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Why trade for him when we can just sign him? Assuming the Blazers play hardball. We're trying to acquire young assets not trade them for each other people.

Its not surprising how this board hasnt changed a lick with the what have you done for me lately mentality. Ed Davis and Derozan are pieces you want to keep and see what you have, not trade them away in their 2nd year because they havent started the season fantastically. Give them some time people. Its not like we're trying to win now anyway
Very true.... and I agree when it comes to DD since he's clearly our chosen 2-guard right now.

Davis however... I do think that if you have a chance to flip him for a player like a Batum (who's a natural 3, which is what we need) you do it since we already have Amir, JV and Bargs at the 4/5 spot.

I don't think that anyone would be happy trading Ed just for the sake of trading him.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #47 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Very true.... and I agree when it comes to DD since he's clearly our chosen 2-guard right now.

Davis however... I do think that if you have a chance to flip him for a player like a Batum (who's a natural 3, which is what we need) you do it since we already have Amir, JV and Bargs at the 4/5 spot.

I don't think that anyone would be happy trading Ed just for the sake of trading him.
I agree torap.... if we're trading ed, it's for another useful young top prospect like a Batum or George that fills a hole elsewhere. We're not talking about jettisoning a young player cause he sucks..... it's all about filling holes for the next many years and SF is clearly vacant of top-end talent.

As for DD, I think selling low on him is foolish too, but if he could be used in a package to get a Westbrook-type talent, I think you do it. Westbrook may not be the right player, could see him becoming even more of a shooter than he already is though. The difference with trading DD and Ed though is that we don't have a SG replacement anywhere near his portential whereas we have many PFs with strong futures.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #48 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I agree torap.... if we're trading ed, it's for another useful young top prospect like a Batum or George that fills a hole elsewhere. We're not talking about jettisoning a young player cause he sucks..... it's all about filling holes for the next many years and SF is clearly vacant of top-end talent.

As for DD, I think selling low on him is foolish too, but if he could be used in a package to get a Westbrook-type talent, I think you do it. Westbrook may not be the right player, could see him becoming even more of a shooter than he already is though. The difference with trading DD and Ed though is that we don't have a SG replacement anywhere near his portential whereas we have many PFs with strong futures.
while all of it makes sense, I don't think Ed's value is nearly enough for a PG or Batum type. Both of those guys seem 50/50 to be All Stars someday.
They are already above average starters in many respects.

Also, I don't see how getting Batum (only if you can extend him ofc) is selling low on DD.

Last edited by ValanciunasFanboy; 01-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValanciunasFanboy View Post
while all of it makes sense, I don't think Ed's value is nearly enough for a PG or Batum type. Both of those guys seem 50/50 to be All Stars someday.
They are already above average starters in many respects.

Also, I don't see how getting Batum (only if you can extend him ofc) is selling low on DD.
It's not unless you're adding a lot to get Batum..... and besides, that wouldn't solve anything... we wouldn't have a SG so it's a lateral move.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
It's not unless you're adding a lot to get Batum..... and besides, that wouldn't solve anything... we wouldn't have a SG so it's a lateral move.
well, you are upgrading quality. so it's not lateral.
but yes, it would likely take additional pieces.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValanciunasFanboy View Post
well, you are upgrading quality. so it's not lateral.
but yes, it would likely take additional pieces.
Not sure you can definitively say Batum is much of an upgrade really... I like him, but he's still somewhat unproven in contrast to his potential. He's a good young player with a lot of room to grow, but he's also a year older than DD, who also has a lot of room to grow. Demar is struggling, but Batum hasn't set the league on fire yet... he just had a huge game, but he's also had poor ones.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 728
Representing:
Default

Sure, however, you don't have to set the league on fire to be better than DeMar.
They both have upside, Batum just has harnessed more of it till now.
if DeMar maintains his shooting, and IF he adds an elite defensive game once in a while, then it would be a close.

But yes, it's mostly upside. And hard to say who has more.
Batum is so insane physically. He's like a mix of DeMar and Durant. Very explosive. But so long and big, and could always shoot.
While DeMar still needs to add entire dimensions to his game. Not just consistency with him. But he seems to add each year.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #53 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,613
Representing:
Default

Batum is more athletic, more polished offensively, higher defensive IQ, and has more willingness to play D than DeMar.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #54 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

*yawn* Contract year....been there, done that.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #55 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,870
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
*yawn* Contract year....been there, done that.
you've played in the NBA?!





pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #56 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,600
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
you've played in the NBA?!





Maybe, but a true hero never reveals his identity
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #57 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 4,897
Representing:
Default

Raptors should set aside a 6 million a year contract this summer, seriously!!

link: No extension for Nicolas Batum
Toby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #58 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

the man wants Gallinari money
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #59 (permalink)
straight ballin'

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,137
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

I thought he didn't want to come to Toronto? hmmm I bet he wants to play with his french teammate tony. We should of signed pietrus, we could of even attracted batum more.
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #60 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,803
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Raptors should set aside a 6 million a year contract this summer, seriously!!

link: No extension for Nicolas Batum
I would go up to 8Mil for him. They'll match a 6Mil offer, but 8Mil will really force their hand since they have nearly 58Mil already commited.

Last edited by jeffb; 01-26-2012 at 10:39 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24