Blazers look into hiring new GM
Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Blazers look into hiring new GM

Quote:
The Portland Trail Blazers have empowered a private headhunting firm to research and reach out to potential general manager candidates, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The use of the firm is further evidence embattled GM Kevin Pritchard has fallen out of favor with ownership and likely will be replaced before next season.

At least two current NBA front-office executives have been targeted, sources confirmed, and the firm has also made several fact-finding calls about Oklahoma City Thunder GM Sam Presti.
LINK
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

hire me
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,969
Representing:
Default

could we trade BC for him?

and while were at it, bargs/bosh/jose for camby/aldridge/batum
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A00715890 View Post
could we trade BC for him?
Actually, I was anticipating Thriller saying something like "FIRE BC IMMEDIATELY AND GO AFTER THIS GUY!!!!!"
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,018
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
Actually, I was anticipating Thriller saying something like "FIRE BC IMMEDIATELY AND GO AFTER THIS GUY!!!!!"
I wouldn't doubt it! The fact is, BC's track record before coming here was better then this guys current track record. Look at Dumars. Every GM goes through moves that don't pan out. BC is still one of the best GM's in the league.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I wouldn't doubt it! The fact is, BC's track record before coming here was better then this guys current track record. Look at Dumars. Every GM goes through moves that don't pan out. BC is still one of the best GM's in the league.
The thing is, I wasn't necessarily knocking Thriller. We're going to learn a lot about BC in the next 3-6 months. BC is a good GM, but he might end up being too stubborn to do what is necessary. See, I want to win, and I really hate having to tank, but if most of the top free agents end up in the East after this summer, then the Raptors will be hard pressed to finish top 6 in the conference for the next 3 years. Under those conditions, stocking picks and acquiring younger players might be the only chance at putting together a 50 win team any time in the next 5 years. Pritchard would probably be more likely to accept that reality.

For the past several months, I have been dreading the thought of having to watch a rebuild. However, I'm starting to think that's what has to be done because it's possible that 6 or 7 of the top free agents will end up in the east. Orlando and Boston are already tough. If a couple of other teams, like Miami and Chicago (or New York or New Jersey), end up with 2 really solid all-stars, then Toronto won't stand a chance in hell of cracking the top 4 seeds for the next 3 to 4 years. I'm not mad at BC or anything like that, since I agreed with most of his moves, with the exception of the JO trade (although, to be fair, I don't know if his other options were much better). But having said that, if the writing is on the wall after free agency and he doesn't read it, then I'm going to start to be dissapointed.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lao Wai
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
The thing is, I wasn't necessarily knocking Thriller. We're going to learn a lot about BC in the next 3-6 months. BC is a good GM, but he might end up being too stubborn to do what is necessary. See, I want to win, and I really hate having to tank, but if most of the top free agents end up in the East after this summer, then the Raptors will be hard pressed to finish top 6 in the conference for the next 3 years. Under those conditions, stocking picks and acquiring younger players might be the only chance at putting together a 50 win team any time in the next 5 years. Pritchard would probably be more likely to accept that reality.

For the past several months, I have been dreading the thought of having to watch a rebuild. However, I'm starting to think that's what has to be done because it's possible that 6 or 7 of the top free agents will end up in the east. Orlando and Boston are already tough. If a couple of other teams, like Miami and Chicago (or New York or New Jersey), end up with 2 really solid all-stars, then Toronto won't stand a chance in hell of cracking the top 4 seeds for the next 3 to 4 years. I'm not mad at BC or anything like that, since I agreed with most of his moves, with the exception of the JO trade (although, to be fair, I don't know if his other options were much better). But having said that, if the writing is on the wall after free agency and he doesn't read it, then I'm going to start to be dissapointed.
A breath of reality.
What is done is done we can't rewrite the past.
We need to focus on the rebuild not the quick fix.
Pritchard did a great job in Portland in a rebuild of a terrible team with more division than Toronto's.
He had the benefits of getting a 1st pick and the 2nd pick in the draft.
Oden may turn out to be a terrible pick not because of the players quality but the injury factor.
Aldridge was 2nd to Bargs and then he got lucky with Brandon Roy
But he utilized his picks well and most paid dividends are at least NBA level players.
You also must remember he had basically signed Turk.
He ended up getting Andre Miller.
Could have only wished that was reversed.
But I think he set the pattern in how to rebuild.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24