Amar'e not sure Knicks can make the playoffs
Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Amar'e not sure Knicks can make the playoffs

I've been saying this all along.

Quote:
AP
FEELIN' DOWN: After a disappointing 2-5 preseason, Amar'e Stoudemire (right) seems to be lowering the high expectations he had when signing his $100 million contract with the Knicks over the summer.
The Knicks are coming off a 29-53 nightmare, nine straight losing seasons and an NBA-high six years out of the playoffs.

Amar'e Stoudemire said in July after his $100 million signing: "The Knicks are back."

The way he has been talking this week, it sounds like he meant back to 35 wins.

With the preseason ending in Montreal after Friday night's 108-103 loss to the Raptors, Stoudemire, in recent days, has noticeably lacked braggadocio and lowered expectations.

In the Canadiens' visiting dressing room Friday night, Stoudemire tried out a little French, then spoke some English words downright alarming to Knick fans praying for a return to the playoffs.

"The Knicks haven't made the playoffs in nine, 10 years," said Stoudemire, his history a bit off. "Anything better than we did last year is a success."

Three days ago at Montreal's McGill University, he said: "Last year wasn't that good. Anything better than that would be a step in the right direction. But playoffs is something we're looking forward to and we're trying to get to that point. We're not the biggest physical team. Some nights we will be outrebounded, but we have to stay together."

Though Stoudemire looked brilliant in preseason, averaging a league-high 25.7 points in 27 minutes, he perhaps realizes the supporting cast isn't as promising as on paper.

Stoudemire's recent statements could be a call for help to team president Donnie Walsh that the team needs Carmelo Anthony sooner than later.

With opening night Wednesday in Toronto, Stoudemire's sentiments have a different ring than when training camp opened a month ago. When asked if the Knicks were ready for the opener, Stoudemire said underwhelmingly: "We have no choice."

Often, the Knicks looked like a one-man gang, with Stoudemire powering to the basket for layups or drawing fouls. He was sensational getting to the free throw line (52 of 63, 82.5 percent) and his field goal percentage spiked at 56.2 percent.

In his boldest statement of the week, Stoudemire said: "This year is going to be the starting point of my prime."

Indeed, the five-time All-Star dominated October and acted easily in the spotlight.

But with a green starting center in Timofey Mozgov, a debate at shooting guard with out-of-position Wilson Chandler, a nothing-special preseason for point guard Raymond Felton and low-motor camps from Danilo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph, who was an atrocity, the Knicks could fall into an early hole after 10 games.
Amar'e lowers expectations after Knicks preseason - NYPOST.com
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
waiting for the Masai-a

on ihateus
 
Torontosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria, home of the Nash-ites
Posts: 3,859
Representing:
Default

Ugh, I'm sure he's aware that NY hasn't played all that well in preseason, but they're really trying too hard to find something negative in his comments
Torontosaurus is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member
 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,480
Representing:
Default

knicks will be fine, not great but hell of alot better than the raps and a playoff team. The raps only beat the knicks because the refs were favoring them to put on a show for montreal and gallanari is also struggling by ref/league design so that Dantoni gives up his son as a package for carmelo$$$$$JERSEY SALES$$$$. yes its a conspiracy, somebody get out the siren
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
The raps only beat the knicks because the refs were favoring them



Man this fanbase loves to put down a win like no other, and saying the refs favoured the Raps is stupid. The Knicks aren't much better then us.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,083
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post



Man this fanbase loves to put down a win like no other, and saying the refs favoured the Raps is stupid. The Knicks aren't much better then us.
We only beat the Knicks because they weren't trying...It's a psychological thing. They lost purposely so that during the season they can come out harder and win because of the Raps over estimating there abilities. It's all part of there master plan.

Last edited by Nites; 10-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
We only beat the Knicks because they weren't trying...It's a psychological thing. They lost purposely so that during the season they can come out harder and win because of the Raps over estimating there abilities. It's all part of there master plan.
lol That sounds more like it.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,814
Representing:
Amare to Knicks = Bosh to Raptors the last fews years.
They're going nowhere because there's not enough around him. He'll get plenty of touches and they'll lose too many to be a great team. Need to get Carmelo and then bide their time for Chris Paul to break away from NO for another 3 headed monster. Right now, I'll enjoy it because it looks good on him and his big mouth because he does not contribute that much more in total than David Lee. And where did that team get?
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
it is what it is.

Senior Member
 
mb666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,009
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
Amare to Knicks = Bosh to Raptors the last fews years.
They're going nowhere because there's not enough around him. He'll get plenty of touches and they'll lose too many to be a great team. Need to get Carmelo and then bide their time for Chris Paul to break away from NO for another 3 headed monster. Right now, I'll enjoy it because it looks good on him and his big mouth because he does not contribute that much more in total than David Lee. And where did that team get?
The Knicks will make the playoffs. Gallinari's is a great player whose game is slightly misunderstood. He does more than shoot 3s... he can dribble and get to the paint. He has much more potential then Derozan. Raymond Felton is better then any of our PGs. Then you have solid guys like Chandler, Turiaf and Kelenna (when healthy).

The talent surrounding Amare is better then the players who were around Bosh. Anthony Randolph is a big question-mark. If it doesn't work out in NY he has great trade value. Regarding the future, it's inevitable that NY will obtain another big name (Paul, Carmelo) either later this season or next summer.
mb666 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb666 View Post
The Knicks will make the playoffs. Gallinari's is a great player whose game is slightly misunderstood. He does more than shoot 3s... he can dribble and get to the paint. He has much more potential then Derozan. Raymond Felton is better then any of our PGs. Then you have solid guys like Chandler, Turiaf and Kelenna (when healthy). The talent surrounding Amare is better then the players who were around Bosh .
The talent around him is about the same as what Bosh had here. Felton, isn't a great starter (sound familiar), Galinari is a chucker (we've had a few of those) they suck defensively...same as us. The main difference is we usually had better depth then the current knicks have. Their bench sucks.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Ray felton isn't better than any PG in the NBA.

Don't be silly.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,814
Representing:
They may very well make the playoffs, but much like the Raps, don't end up getting anywhere. In other words, I expect them to be in the 6th to 10th in the conference range that we always expected.

Worse for them is that I expect Amare to experience more wear and tear....injuries because he will need to be more of a horse than getting open and being fed the ball by Nash so often.

I think Chris Bosh left a gigantic-ass knee brace in Toronto. We could just ship it over the border to Amare and save some time.

Last edited by Deez; 10-24-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,907
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
We only beat the Knicks because they weren't trying...It's a psychological thing. They lost purposely so that during the season they can come out harder and win because of the Raps over estimating there abilities. It's all part of there master plan.
Teams don't lose on purpose, whether its psychological or not. The Knicks are far from a great team, the last thing they need to do is "lose on purpose."
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Teams don't lose on purpose, whether its psychological or not. The Knicks are far from a great team, the last thing they need to do is "lose on purpose."
Especially considering they 2-4 going into that game. Ending pre-season on a good note would have been advantageous for them.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,683
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Teams don't lose on purpose, whether its psychological or not. The Knicks are far from a great team, the last thing they need to do is "lose on purpose."
Your ability to recognize sarcasm and a joke is out of this world!
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,433
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
The talent around him is about the same as what Bosh had here. Felton, isn't a great starter (sound familiar), Galinari is a chucker (we've had a few of those) they suck defensively...same as us. The main difference is we usually had better depth then the current knicks have. Their bench sucks.
Let's not forget that Bosh actually did one thing that no one on the Knicks does now..... REBOUND.

That's going to kill them too.

That being said I was impressed with Amare's ability to score sans Nash. Seems I underestimated his abilities in that regard. He's quick going to the rim.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
it is what it is.

Senior Member
 
mb666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,009
Representing:
Default

I think Amare will be a better rebounder this year. Turiaf is a great rebounder/shot blocker and Kelenna Azubuike is a good rebounding guard. For a PG, Felton can rebound as well. I also think that Mozgov will surprise some people this year. Should be a decent backup center similar to Gortat.

I think some of you guys are underestimating Gallinari. Yes last year he took a lot of "bad" shots but they had no one on the team. I'm from NY and watch all of their games and he does more than shoot 3s. He will def be more selective this year. Danilo is also a decent rebounder being 6"9.

You guys know the Raptors w/ Bosh better than I do since I'm a newer fan, so it is what it is. But the Knicks will be a playoff team. They won't beat Miami/Orlando or Boston in the postseason but can upset anyone else... potentially even Chicago. If something happens to either Noah/Boozer/Rose, then that team is going to be a great liability.

As stated in the article, Amare is stating a very low expectation that way when they do improve (obviously will be better than last year) and make the playoffs his addition will be ever more meaningful. And NY does not need to "tank" because all of their draft picks have been traded away seemingly for the next decade.

Last edited by mb666; 10-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.
mb666 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,814
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Let's not forget that Bosh actually did one thing that no one on the Knicks does now..... REBOUND.

That's going to kill them too.

That being said I was impressed with Amare's ability to score sans Nash. Seems I underestimated his abilities in that regard. He's quick going to the rim.
This is also much like Bosh. There may have been 3 or 4 guys who could guard him alone. Anyone else one on one would get torched because of his speed. It even happened to Dwight a few times.
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,375
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Ray felton isn't better than any PG in the NBA.

Don't be silly.
Well, I hope you're wrong, 'cause auto draft picked him for my yahoo fantasy league. :facepalm: I hope playing for Dantoni helps inflat his stats.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,375
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
That being said I was impressed with Amare's ability to score sans Nash. Seems I underestimated his abilities in that regard. He's quick going to the rim.
You need to remember that he was a beast the year before Nash showed up. After the Suns traded Marbury, Amare still played solid, even though he didn't have a great point guard. Nash made things easier for Amare, but Stoudemire was always talented enough to score 20 ppg without an all-star pg.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
That being said I was impressed with Amare's ability to score sans Nash. Seems I underestimated his abilities in that regard. He's quick going to the rim.
Not me, he scored before Nash and won ROY before ever playing with Nash. The guy can score.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24