Who are your top 5 highest potential guys
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
si 52kcuBvelC

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Representing:
Default Who are your top 5 highest potential guys

and your top 5 highest Bust potential players

Mine:
1-Irving
2-Barnes
3-Valanciunas
4-Kanter (if the knees stay healthy)
5-Terrence Jones

Bust:
1-Derrick Williams (Tweener and Arizona players dont do well in the NBA)
2-Don. Montiejunas
3-Kemba Walker
4-John Henson
5-Perry Jones
ClevBuck25 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,933
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevBuck25 View Post
and your top 5 highest Bust potential players

Mine:
1-Irving
2-Barnes
3-Valanciunas
4-Kanter (if the knees stay healthy)
5-Terrence Jones

Bust:
1-Derrick Williams (Tweener and Arizona players dont do well in the NBA)
2-Don. Montiejunas
3-Kemba Walker
4-John Henson
5-Perry Jones
id put valucenius and kanter in bust territory. id replace them with perry and sullinger
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
si 52kcuBvelC

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
id put valucenius and kanter in bust territory. id replace them with perry and sullinger
Perry Jones has little to no potential as he's shown this year, Valanciunas and Kanter dominate every time they step on the court
ClevBuck25 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevBuck25 View Post
Perry Jones has little to no potential as he's shown this year, Valanciunas and Kanter dominate every time they step on the court
WHAT.


Quote:
Deemed by many scouts as the prospect with the highest upside of any player in college basketball, Perry Jones of Baylor has had an up and down freshman season that appears to be taking a turn for the better at the moment.

AP


Jones was extremely deferential early in the season, looking somewhat lost or apathetic at times, but he has been more assertive in Big 12 play, scoring 19 points or more in six of nine in-conference games thus far. While some of that has to do with Jones' increasing comfort level and individual aggressiveness, it also has plenty to do with how he's being utilized by his coaching staff and teammates.

Even though he's one of the most efficient players in college basketball, shooting nearly 60% inside the arc, Jones is still not getting as many touches as he probably should. Baylor's guards (specifically LaceDarius Dunn) have exhibited poor shot selection all season long, and the team ranks as one of the most turnover prone in college basketball.

Amongst the college players currently in our Top 100 Prospect Rankings, Jones rates towards the bottom of the list in field goal attempts per minute. This is a situation not all that unlike Derrick Favors' at Georgia Tech last season.

When not being ignored by teammates, it's easy to see what makes Jones such a tantalizing prospect, as you can see in the first two minutes of the following video we created:


Standing 6-11, with long arms, an excellent frame and incredible fluidity for a player his size, Jones is a rare physical specimen by any standard. When motivated, he runs the floor about as well as any big man in this draft and is capable of beating his man off the dribble with a terrific first step. He has great hands and an exceptionally soft touch, which makes him an incredible finisher around the basket. (His length and highlight reel-caliber explosiveness help in this regard as well.

Offensively, Jones gets his touches in a variety of ways. An extremely reliable target for his teammates to throw drive-and-dish passes to, he has great potential as a pick-and-roll finisher thanks to his hands, touch and leaping ability. He is also a solid (although clearly not a dominating) presence on the offensive glass for the same reason -- he has the ability to pogo stick off the ground multiple times before his opponents can react.

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Perry Jones, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook
DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Perry-Jones-5713/

Kid is playing out of position in reagrds to NBA and is playing with guards that wont get him the ball, and he is still:
Pts FG FGA FG% 3P% FTM FTA FT% Off Def TOT Asts Stls Blks TOs
14.2 5.6 10.0 56.2 12.5 2.9 4.5 64.8 2.7 4.4 7.1 1.2 0.6 0.9 2.2

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1FCJipZr6
http://www.draftexpress.com

His shooting is improving but he still needs to add better range. I just see KD potential all over this kid.

Last edited by Snooch; 02-27-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
better than you

Senior Member
 
eazy187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Representing:
Default

1. Kyrie Irving
2. Jared Sullinger
3. Harrison Barnes
4. Terrance Jones
5. Enes Kanter
eazy187 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
si 52kcuBvelC

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
WHAT.




DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Perry Jones, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

Kid is playing out of position in reagrds to NBA and is playing with guards that wont get him the ball, and he is still:
Pts FG FGA FG% 3P% FTM FTA FT% Off Def TOT Asts Stls Blks TOs
14.2 5.6 10.0 56.2 12.5 2.9 4.5 64.8 2.7 4.4 7.1 1.2 0.6 0.9 2.2

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Perry Jones, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook
DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

His shooting is improving but he still needs to add better range. I just see KD potential all over this kid.


Perry Jones has been getting dominated night in and night out, he's a late 2nd pick if it wasnt for the name on the back of the jersey, kids has zero talent and the guards dont get him the ball because he cant score enough to win
ClevBuck25 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevBuck25 View Post
Perry Jones has been getting dominated night in and night out, he's a late 2nd pick if it wasnt for the name on the back of the jersey, kids has zero talent and the guards dont get him the ball because he cant score enough to win
the article I posted was written February 9th so obviously a majority of sports writers still feel he is a top prospect.

And to compare his numbers in games in which he gets at least 9 shots up:

16.5ppg on 57.5% shooting on 11.8 shots
4.25fta(not a good free throw shooter)
7.35rpg
1ast
.65spg
.95bpg

Pretty damn solid numbers imo. Needs to improve his shooting and defense but he has all the tools at his diposal.(playing out his natural position of sf I might add although on offense he tends to be a sf but on defense he has to try to be pf)


Lets compare him to probably the best pf coming out of college, sullinger.

19.6ppg on 56.4% shooting on 12.9 shots.
7.1 fta
10.5rpg
1ast
1spg
.5bpg


Lets compare him to Terrence Jones, a SF

17.5ppg on 45.5% on 13.5 shots
6fta
9rpg
1.5apg
1.2spg
1.9bpg


To say he is a second round pick is absolutely ridiculous. He is a top talent in the draft right now. Easily top 3 or 4 depending upon who is picking. I personally prefer Terrence Jones because he brings some things the team could definately use but Perry Jones is a potential star in the league, and coming out of this weak draft that is nothing to thumb your nose about.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
si 52kcuBvelC

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
the article I posted was written February 9th so obviously a majority of sports writers still feel he is a top prospect.

And to compare his numbers in games in which he gets at least 9 shots up:

16.5ppg on 57.5% shooting on 11.8 shots
4.25fta(not a good free throw shooter)
7.35rpg
1ast
.65spg
.95bpg

Pretty damn solid numbers imo. Needs to improve his shooting and defense but he has all the tools at his diposal.(playing out his natural position of sf I might add although on offense he tends to be a sf but on defense he has to try to be pf)


Lets compare him to probably the best pf coming out of college, sullinger.

19.6ppg on 56.4% shooting on 12.9 shots.
7.1 fta
10.5rpg
1ast
1spg
.5bpg


Lets compare him to Terrence Jones, a SF

17.5ppg on 45.5% on 13.5 shots
6fta
9rpg
1.5apg
1.2spg
1.9bpg


To say he is a second round pick is absolutely ridiculous. He is a top talent in the draft right now. Easily top 3 or 4 depending upon who is picking. I personally prefer Terrence Jones because he brings some things the team could definately use but Perry Jones is a potential star in the league, and coming out of this weak draft that is nothing to thumb your nose about.


Sports writters are spors writters are not NBA scouts for a reason
nuff said

then again you think he's got KD written all over him yet Durant didnt make only 1 3 pointer his whole college career like Jones, nor did Durant only get 14(not 16) PPG

he's a late 2nd to UDFA without the name Perry Jones. Sullinger absolutley dominates and embarrasses Jones in that comparison nobody will take him in the top 5 thats lock

he's a no talent hack
ClevBuck25 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevBuck25 View Post
Sports writters are spors writters are not NBA scouts for a reason
nuff said

then again you think he's got KD written all over him yet Durant didnt make only 1 3 pointer his whole college career like Jones, nor did Durant only get 14(not 16) PPG

he's a late 2nd to UDFA without the name Perry Jones. Sullinger absolutley dominates and embarrasses Jones in that comparison nobody will take him in the top 5 thats lock

he's a no talent hack
The writer said that many scouts......reread the first line of the article.

PErry doesnt shoot threes. Dunn does. for their team.

And I based the numbersd for all players on games getting at least 9 shots per game because perry has a good few game less than that.

And Sullinger is a pf through and through, perry is a sf playing at pf for his team, sometimes at center.

Sullinger is bigger and stronger, perry is a better shooter and more athletic and a better ball handler by a mile.

PErry will absolutely go top 5 if not top 3.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
si 52kcuBvelC

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
The writer said that many scouts......reread the first line of the article.

PErry doesnt shoot threes. Dunn does. for their team.

And I based the numbersd for all players on games getting at least 9 shots per game because perry has a good few game less than that.

And Sullinger is a pf through and through, perry is a sf playing at pf for his team, sometimes at center.

Sullinger is bigger and stronger, perry is a better shooter and more athletic and a better ball handler by a mile.

PErry will absolutely go top 5 if not top 3.

Scouts never tell sports writters the truth its all smoke and mirrors untill close to draft day. Perry doesnt shoot them because he cant. KD Comparison=Over. if Perry was a SF he would be SF not PF. nothing proves that Perryis a better ball handler=Fact. Perry will never be a top 5 pick get off your knees and actually watch him play most overrated player to ever step foot onto a basketabll court bar none
ClevBuck25 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevBuck25 View Post
Scouts never tell sports writters the truth its all smoke and mirrors untill close to draft day. Perry doesnt shoot them because he cant. KD Comparison=Over. if Perry was a SF he would be SF not PF. nothing proves that Perryis a better ball handler=Fact. Perry will never be a top 5 pick get off your knees and actually watch him play most overrated player to ever step foot onto a basketabll court bar none
so then all of the known basketball world must be on their knees then because you say so? nice job proving your points young fella.

KD shoots 3s better, so then that is no longer a feasable comparison?

How about they are both incredibly lean, very tall for their positions, very good at ball handling, and have long wingspans, athletic. Biggest difference is that KD works hard all the time and perry coasts at times.

Perry plays pf/c for Baylor cause no one else really can on that team.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Terrence Jones puts up better numbers than Perry in virtually every category, and he does it on a much stronger Kentucky team.

For all of his length and quickness Perry is a remarkably poor defender at the college level.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Terrence Jones and Harrison Barnes drafted before Perry. Personally, I'd love to see Terrence Jones in a Raptors uniform.

1. Irving
2. Terrence Jones
3. Valanciunas
4. Kanter
5. Sullinger

Busts:

1. Perry Jones
2. Harrison Barnes
3. Jan Vesely
4. Donatas Motiejunas
5. Derrick Williams
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

...Harrison Barnes has a lot of potential, but I don't see him developing that potential unless he's given a lot of time to mature, and a lot of minutes. For me, he's a guy that needs to land in a good situation. If he doesn't, he's a bust. If he does, he could be a very solid player in the future.

He's a good example of a player that shouldn't be drafted by a team that doesn't have a role for him where he can play regular minutes. (Personally, I think that Hasheem Thabeet could have been an adequate NBA center by now if he'd have been drafted into a better situation.)

I think the Raptors could develop him, but it would probably take a long time. At this point I'd rather draft a guy that's further along in his development.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,019
Representing:
Default

Bigs are almost always a crap shoot. And it sucks that this draft is very Big oriented, especially PF's....the one position we're pretty solid at. I just pray we end up at #1 or 2.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Jonas Valanciunas and Enes Kanter are both post oriented, and potentially NBA centers. That's why I'd be happy with either of those guys.

Right now the Raptors' big rotation "of the future" is Amir/Davis/Bargs (3 PFs). Someone needs to go and be replaced by a C. There's room for 3 quality PF/Cs to get minutes on a team, there just isn't room for 3 PFs on a team.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,019
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Jonas Valanciunas and Enes Kanter are both post oriented, and potentially NBA centers. That's why I'd be happy with either of those guys.

Right now the Raptors' big rotation "of the future" is Amir/Davis/Bargs (3 PFs). Someone needs to go and be replaced by a C. There's room for 3 quality PF/Cs to get minutes on a team, there just isn't room for 3 PFs on a team.
Man i don't want to get a Center through the draft, especially this one. Fuck that shit. A PG or a SF, otherwise trade down or out.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
some creepy guy

Senior Member
 
MARTYNAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: far far away
Posts: 1,445
Representing:
Default

Donatas Motiejunas should be on both tops.
highest potential guy and very possible bust at the same time. Who thinks, Enes, Jan And Jonas has more potential, should leave basketball forums.
MARTYNAS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYNAS View Post
Donatas Motiejunas should be on both tops.
highest potential guy and very possible bust at the same time. Who thinks, Enes, Jan And Jonas has more potential, should leave basketball forums.
You're only looking at one side of the game.

Donatas has shown no ability to guard North American PFs, and no ability to guard North American SFs. Jonas and Enes have both shown the ability to guard North American players at PF and C. They're both very aggressive and physical players. I won't talk about Jan Vesely except to say that his athleticism is good by Euroleague standards, but in the NBA he'll need to rely on his skills and BBIQ (which I haven't seen evidence of).

Honestly, can you imagine Donatas ever guarding a physical NBA PF? I can't. It would have to be a total transformation of attitude, body, skill set and training.

Unless Donatas either bulks up or becomes far more athletic he's got euro bust written all over him.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
some creepy guy

Senior Member
 
MARTYNAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: far far away
Posts: 1,445
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
You're only looking at one side of the game.

Donatas has shown no ability to guard North American PFs, and no ability to guard North American SFs. Jonas and Enes have both shown the ability to guard North American players at PF and C. They're both very aggressive and physical players. I won't talk about Jan Vesely except to say that his athleticism is good by Euroleague standards, but in the NBA he'll need to rely on his skills and BBIQ (which I haven't seen evidence of).

Honestly, can you imagine Donatas ever guarding a physical NBA PF? I can't. It would have to be a total transformation of attitude, body, skill set and training.

Unless Donatas either bulks up or becomes far more athletic he's got euro bust written all over him.
Man. Donatas is crazy work ethic, he is growing by days, he can't defend physical pfs? Yeah, 2 years ago. Look at him now. His getting ripped faster than Jonas, Jan and Enes all together. Look at his rebound/block shots numbers last year and this year. Boost.
I know he has weaknesses but look at his strengths. You can't teach that. Damn bully type confidence, work ethic, extremely aggressive on offense, good hands and foot work, 7 foot tall, natural post scorer with range, ran the floor like a gazelle.
I am number one Jonas fan, never was a fan of Donatas, but come on, no Euro has half of potential Donatas has.
MARTYNAS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYNAS View Post
Man. Donatas is crazy work ethic, he is growing by days, he can't defend physical pfs? Yeah, 2 years ago. Look at him now. His getting ripped faster than Jonas, Jan and Enes all together. Look at his rebound/block shots numbers last year and this year. Boost.
I know he has weaknesses but look at his strengths. You can't teach that. Damn bully type confidence, work ethic, extremely aggressive on offense, good hands and foot work, 7 foot tall, natural post scorer with range, ran the floor like a gazelle.
I am number one Jonas fan, never was a fan of Donatas, but come on, no Euro has half of potential Donatas has.
DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Donatas Motiejunas, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

0.5 blocks per game IN EUROLEAGUE. Also:
Quote:
Motiejunas unfortunately still struggles with the two very important areas that were pinpointed early on in his career as being major weaknesses: defense and rebounding. His defensive rebounding numbers have actually gotten worse this season, now down to a paltry 3.2 per-40 minutes, which ranks him dead last in the entire Italian league amongst both power forwards and centers.
I agree that Donatas has a rare skill set. Unfortunately, that's not the foundation of a successful NBA career.

I'm not hating on Donatas, I wish him the best, but if the Raptors selected him I think it would be a terrible pick. He's a high risk pick AND he doesn't fit with the team's needs and direction.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24