Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f50/)
-   -   Update on 2011 Draft Status of Players (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f50/update-2011-draft-status-players-19864.html)

RAPMAN 04-01-2011 12:30 PM

Update on 2011 Draft Status of Players
 
Good news for Rap fans. Chad Ford from ESPN is a pretty good source for Draft information. It looks like Kyrie Irving is leaning towards the draft. However, Barnes is still on fence. His coach Roy Williams say he'll be drafted between 5 and 11. No way Barnes drops that low especially from this year's weak draft. Maybe Roy wants Barnes back especially with the recruiting class from Duke. Hello Mr. Rivers.

"We should be getting updates soon from a number of the top underclassmen. Sources say Kyrie Irving is leaning strongly toward declaring for the NBA Draft and should be making an announcement soon. Ditto for Baylor’s Perry Jones, UConn’s Kemba Walker and Kentucky’s Terrence Jones. Sources say that a number of other prospects including Alec Burks, Jordan Hamilton, Scotty Hopson, Kawhi Leonard, Mason Plumlee, Jeff Taylor, Trey Thompkins and Klay Thompson are very likely to enter as well. UNC’s Harrison Barnes continues to be on the fence however. He recently had his exit interview with head coach Roy Williams. In the interview Williams told Barnes that he would go somewhere between No. 5 and 11 in the draft, according to a source familiar with the discussion. I think Barnes will go higher — likely in the Top 3. The bigger question will be whether Barnes wants to return to a loaded UNC team next year to try to win a championship. Arizona’s Derrick Williams and Kentucky’s Brandon Knight are also wildcards. While both players have explored their draft stock, it’s unclear from sources which way they’re leaning right now."

Chad Ford-ESPN
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...riday-april-1/

EggsToTheBBQ 04-01-2011 12:45 PM

I think that the new CBA would likely lower the starting salaries for draftees.

I don't see why a prospect would opt out of the draft if that scenario is on the horizon.

jeffb 04-01-2011 12:56 PM

Barnes won't go as high next year, so if that matters to him he'll be in the draft. As for Irving, we aren't getting him anyway unless we get lucky or we trade up somehow.

DSWC 04-01-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ (Post 525620)
I think that the new CBA would likely lower the starting salaries for draftees.

I don't see why a prospect would opt out of the draft if that scenario is on the horizon.


I had actually never thought of that, and you make a good point... I wonder what's going to happen to the rookie scale.

RaptorsandBuckeye FaN 04-01-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 525622)
Barnes won't go as high next year, so if that matters to him he'll be in the draft. As for Irving, we aren't getting him anyway unless we get lucky or we trade up somehow.

Why do you say that? You don't think Barnes could be a top 3 draft pick next year if he came back? He would be the main guy at UNC, get great coaching from Roy Williams, and would have the experience of CBB already. He could have a huge year next like and just be the #1 guy.

RAPMAN 04-01-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorsandBuckeye FaN (Post 525626)
Why do you say that? You don't think Barnes could be a top 3 draft pick next year if he came back? He would be the main guy at UNC, get great coaching from Roy Williams, and would have the experience of CBB already. He could have a huge year next like and just be the #1 guy.

I think Barnes best shot for getting drafted at the highest position is this year. The Austin Rivers kid is special. Then you Anthony Davis with size, lenghth, athleticism with a high motor. Sullinger returning to Ohio State. The best shot for Barnes is this year's draft.

DanH 04-01-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 525630)
I think Barnes best shot for getting drafted at the highest position is this year. The Austin Rivers kid is special. Then you Anthony Davis with size, lenghth, athleticism with a high motor. Sullinger returning to Ohio State. The best shot for Barnes is this year's draft.

He could conceivably go 2nd this year. And the salaries of Rookies ALWAYS suffer in a CBA negotiation, since the undrafted don't get votes in the NBPA.

jeffb 04-01-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorsandBuckeye FaN (Post 525626)
Why do you say that? You don't think Barnes could be a top 3 draft pick next year if he came back? He would be the main guy at UNC, get great coaching from Roy Williams, and would have the experience of CBB already. He could have a huge year next like and just be the #1 guy.

I don't know, but apparently next years draft looks a lot stronger, so if he is basically a 4-6 pick this year in what's looked at as a weak draft, he might be hard pressed to go higher next year. And anything can happen to make him drop next year, injury, drop in production....

RaptorsandBuckeye FaN 04-01-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 525630)
I think Barnes best shot for getting drafted at the highest position is this year. The Austin Rivers kid is special. Then you Anthony Davis with size, lenghth, athleticism with a high motor. Sullinger returning to Ohio State. The best shot for Barnes is this year's draft.

Rivers was a great HS player. So was Barnes. Davis looks pretty good also.

Basically if Barnes came back next year he would be battling Sullinger and a bunch of unknown talented freshman for a top spot.

If he came back he could possibly put close up to maybe Durant #'s like he did in Texas? What if he came back improve defense and average 21PPG 8RPG?

NBA draft.net has Barnes as the #3 pick in their 2012 mock draft behind Austin Rivers and Anthony Davis. But what if they struggle in college? What is Barnes improves big times like most players do with more experience? He could easily be top next draft also.

The biggest risk for any player coming back though is like Jeff said...injuries.

RAPMAN 04-01-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorsandBuckeye FaN (Post 525636)
Rivers was a great HS player. So was Barnes. Davis looks pretty good also.

Basically if Barnes came back next year he would be battling Sullinger and a bunch of unknown talented freshman for a top spot.

If he came back he could possibly put close up to maybe Durant #'s like he did in Texas? What if he came back improve defense and average 21PPG 8RPG?

NBA draft.net has Barnes as the #3 pick in their 2012 mock draft behind Austin Rivers and Anthony Davis. But what if they struggle in college? What is Barnes improves big times like most players do with more experience? He could easily be top next draft also.

The biggest risk for any player coming back though is like Jeff said...injuries.

Its going to be hard for Barnes to put up those numbers if Henson, Zeller, and Marshall return. Also, they have a top recruit in James McAdoo who was just won the co-mvp in the Mc-Donald's All-American Game.

Raptorman 04-02-2011 11:47 AM

So, to recap, we are getting first pick in another weak draft?

Superjudge 04-02-2011 11:56 AM

Ask how going back worked out for ed Davis.

RaptorsandBuckeye FaN 04-02-2011 12:21 PM

Ask how going back worked out for Evan Turner and Blake Griffin

jj33 04-02-2011 12:51 PM

I he goes back, he'll slip in the draft! Next year draft seems to have better talent with Austin Rivers and others!

Chiggmo 04-02-2011 01:11 PM

Nobody mentioning Kabongo for next year :( thats who I'd want.

jj33 04-02-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiggmo (Post 525886)
Nobody mentioning Kabongo for next year :( thats who I'd want.

If he show that he is a stud, we can take him! He is pass first PG.

I hope he doesn't turn the ball over like Flynn!! Dude is almost averaging as many T.O's as assists!!

JoeyJoJo Shabbadu 04-03-2011 01:16 AM

And more importantly what happens if there's a lockout.

LilRomeo 04-08-2011 12:41 AM

Guys, what if a team drafts them, but won't give them a contract, that leave the rookies nothing right? I know team has a right to do so, I'm just wondering why would they leave school if even money is uncertain let alone the league?

KollegeKid 04-08-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRomeo (Post 528051)
Guys, what if a team drafts them, but won't give them a contract, that leave the rookies nothing right? I know team has a right to do so, I'm just wondering why would they leave school if even money is uncertain let alone the league?

has that ever happened for 1st round picks though? seems unlikely eh

'trane 04-08-2011 01:26 AM

first round rookie contracts are guaranteed for 2 years, with 2 team options to follow.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24