Leonard likens himself to Worthy
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,637
Representing:
Arrow Leonard likens himself to Worthy

Quote:
He has been working hard on improving his ballhandling and his jumper by finding the proper balance on his release and landing. “I want to do a lot of things on the court. I just want to be a complete basketball player. Dribble, pass, shoot, be a leader, play defense, block shots, steals. I’m trying to do it all,” Leonard said. “I think my comparison would be like to one of the throwback type of players. James Worthy, versatile, could do a lot of stuff on the court.”
LINK - Washington Post
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bang Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet Skeet, She do that thing for 3 retweets...

Blunted Member
 
Dutches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 994
Representing:
Default

if we cant get kemba or knight i wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Leonard, the guy is seriously athletic from what i've seen. He'd look good next to Demar and Ed. JJ could still get solid minutes off the bench too.
Dutches is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutches View Post
if we cant get kemba or knight i wouldnt mind taking a flyer on Leonard, the guy is seriously athletic from what i've seen. He'd look good next to Demar and Ed. JJ could still get solid minutes off the bench too.
I couldn't agree more.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,637
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Leonard wasn’t highly rated coming out of high school and didn’t start seriously considering the league until his coach, Steve Fisher, told him could he a late first-rounder earlier in the season. Despite a poor showing during the NBA combine -- where he had an average 32-inch maximum vertical, bench pressed 185 pounds just three times and timed lower than big man Enes Kanter in the agility drill -- the 6-foot-7 swingman is still considered one of the better athletes in the draft.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,490
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Athletic, huh?
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,913
Representing:
Default

He was confused in the agility drill. There just shouldn't be that much stock put into any of that if there is ample evidence that a guy can do it on the court. The bench press is not very telling at all. Imagine having to lift with super long arms. I imagine Kevin Willis did great.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

pretty sure that i read it here, but leonard did his testing without a warm-up.

i'm with LX 100%. i remember criticizing durant because he was such a skinny little wimp who couldn't even bench 185lbs once. the reality is, he doesn't need to bench press players to play smart and kick ass.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,779
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
pretty sure that i read it here, but leonard did his testing without a warm-up.

i'm with LX 100%. i remember criticizing durant because he was such a skinny little wimp who couldn't even bench 185lbs once. the reality is, he doesn't need to bench press players to play smart and kick ass.
+1
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,637
Representing:
Default

Except that Leonard doesn't have a tenth of the talent that Durant does and his game is based on strength and athleticism. And if he was confused by the agility drill (I saw it on TV and it looked pretty straight forward) then he's not the sharpest tool in the shed either.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,920
Representing:
Default

I don't see any reason to draft this guy... James Johnson can do everything this guy does at a much higher level. In one of the weakest drafts in NBA history this guy compares himself to James Worthy... he is a complete nut.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I don't see any reason to draft this guy... James Johnson can do everything this guy does at a much higher level. In one of the weakest drafts in NBA history this guy compares himself to James Worthy... he is a complete nut.
Much higher level? Really, based on what?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,920
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Much higher level? Really, based on what?
JJ changed the aura of the entire team since he got traded here. He does everything on the court just like Leonard claims he wants to do. JJ has a way higher basketball IQ, and an overall IQ for that matter. If Leonard can't remember the agility test how is he going to memorize defensive and offensive schemes? JJ is easily this teams best defender, he completely locked down and torched guys like Durant.

Also, call me when Leonard dunks on Blake Griffin.

JJ's Monster Putback - Mar. 26, 2011 | video | Raptors
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
JJ changed the aura of the entire team since he got traded here. He does everything on the court just like Leonard claims he wants to do. JJ has a way higher basketball IQ, and an overall IQ for that matter. If Leonard can't remember the agility test how is he going to memorize defensive and offensive schemes? JJ is easily this teams best defender, he completely locked down and torched guys like Durant.

Also, call me when Leonard dunks on Blake Griffin.

JJ's Monster Putback - Mar. 26, 2011 | video | Raptors

Man, you should learn not to get so high on a player after a couple months. A player that couldn't get minutes in Chicago even previous to this season and was in the D League in January. To be so quick to anoint some high IQ player is setting yourself up for disapointment. You seriously think James Johnson is a legit starter in the NBA anytime soon on a good team?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,920
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Man, you should learn not to get so high on a player after a couple months. A player that couldn't get minutes in Chicago even previous to this season and was in the D League in January. To be so quick to anoint some high IQ player is setting yourself up for disapointment. You seriously think James Johnson is a legit starter in the NBA anytime soon on a good team?
He couldn't get minutes in Chicago because of Luol Deng. Its like if Vince Carter was in Toronto and we drafted DeRozan.. I'm pretty sure DeRozan wouldn't get any minutes either. If you think Leonard would get minutes playing behind Deng then you are delusional, not many players would in that situation.

You are in love with bringing up the D-League argument. Do you even know why he was sent to D-League? They were going to trade him and they wanted to get him in game shape. Just like Davis was sent into D-League to get into game shape. He was there for like a week and shipped to the Raptors. It is nonsensical to keep him on the bench if he is going to get traded.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
He couldn't get minutes in Chicago because of Luol Deng. Its like if Vince Carter was in Toronto and we drafted DeRozan.. I'm pretty sure DeRozan wouldn't get any minutes either. If you think Leonard would get minutes playing behind Deng then you are delusional, not many players would in that situation.

You are in love with bringing up the D-League argument. Do you even know why he was sent to D-League? They were going to trade him and they wanted to get him in game shape. Just like Davis was sent into D-League to get into game shape. He was there for like a week and shipped to the Raptors. It is nonsensical to keep him on the bench if he is going to get traded.

Because of Luol Deng? Deng play 39mpg this season, do you honestly think that if they had any confidence in Johnson that Deng would have averaged nearly 40mpg this past season? And do you think that the previous season he would have played in more then 13 games? Don't get me wrong i like Johnson, but to say we shouldn't get a SF b/c of him is nuts at this point considering he's going into his fourth season and he's yet to prove himself good enough to start on a good team. And to compare Davis injury rehab stint to Johnson's stint for being out of shape is assinine.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

I'm willing to bet he dogged it at the combine. or he was hurt.

That said, bench press strength isn't shit, 185 was my max when I played, I could do it twice, thats it. That said I was strong enough to play in the post with 4's. Physics have a lot to do with it too. This guy is ripped, he's in shape, he also has 9 foot arms. The bench press exercise is designed for compact frames. Not long armed frames.

Anyhow, who knows.... I watched highlights of this guy and honestly, fuck the tests, he maxes out of the floor where it counts.

James Hardon sucked at the Combine too (man I wanted that guy) and look at him now.... solid as fuck.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Because of Luol Deng? Deng play 39mpg this season, do you honestly think that if they had any confidence in Johnson that Deng would have averaged nearly 40mpg this past season? And do you think that the previous season he would have played in more then 13 games? Don't get me wrong i like Johnson, but to say we shouldn't get a SF b/c of him is nuts at this point considering he's going into his fourth season and he's yet to prove himself good enough to start on a good team. And to compare Davis injury rehab stint to Johnson's stint for being out of shape is assinine.
I don't support this post.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,533
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
LINK - Washington Post
In a bad draft, if his work ethic matches his desire, take him. At least he has good goals. Edit; Doesn't sound like it does though from the combine info.

Pretty sure he's dreaming being a James Worthy Type. Worthy was one of the best ever.

Last edited by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu; 06-02-2011 at 05:30 PM.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,637
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Because of Luol Deng? Deng play 39mpg this season, do you honestly think that if they had any confidence in Johnson that Deng would have averaged nearly 40mpg this past season? And do you think that the previous season he would have played in more then 13 games? Don't get me wrong i like Johnson, but to say we shouldn't get a SF b/c of him is nuts at this point considering he's going into his fourth season and he's yet to prove himself good enough to start on a good team. And to compare Davis injury rehab stint to Johnson's stint for being out of shape is assinine.
Do you ever research your facts?

Johnson just completed his second season in the NBA, making the upcoming his third season, not his fourth. He played in 65 games as a rookie then after only playing in 13 last year (he was in Thibs doghouse for making a few bad decisions late in games) requested to go down to the D League so he could actually play and get minutes.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Do you ever research your facts?

Johnson just completed his second season in the NBA, making the upcoming his third season, not his fourth. He played in 65 games as a rookie then after only playing in 13 last year (he was in Thibs doghouse for making a few bad decisions late in games) requested to go down to the D League so he could actually play and get minutes.

Sadly i did research. lol

You're right, i looked at the GP and saw three columns under Chicago and one under Toronto. I had a brain fart, i apologize. But i still say that having JJ should not preclude us from draft Leonard or a SF.

Last edited by jeffb; 06-02-2011 at 07:24 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24